PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wise choice. 34 inches is massive already, 49 will be a pain in the neck during games that support it and frustrating when they don’t.

If it was just about size, you could get a 55inch OLED tv with HDMI 2.1 but it wouldn’t work sitting 50cm away.

The 1000R curve massively brings the peripherals in though.

I couldn't imagine upgrading the X34P yet. It's bloody beautiful and it's still the only monitor that ticks all of our boxes dwwaino.

I couldn't imagine upgrading the X34P yet. It's bloody beautiful and it's still the only monitor that ticks all of our boxes dwwaino.

It's a fantastic monitor! I'd only swap it for the LG 34gn850 being 160hz and a slightly better quality panel, but that thing is always out of stock which is why I got the X34P to begin with. It's the sweet spot for a monitor though. 3440*1440 isn't hard to drive for most med-high end GPUs and I do like the extra horizontal real estate. I don't think I could go back to 16:9 unless it's my console on the TV

It's a fantastic monitor! I'd only swap it for the LG 34gn850 being 160hz and a slightly better quality panel, but that thing is always out of stock which is why I got the X34P to begin with. It's the sweet spot for a monitor though. 3440*1440 isn't hard to drive for most med-high end GPUs and I do like the extra horizontal real estate. I don't think I could go back to 16:9 unless it's my console on the TV

I'm definitely not going back down either. It's perfect for working from home and the extra fov is ace.

Crisis averted. Cooled on the G9. Still too many recent posts about it doing weird stuff and for $2700 I'd prefer something to be faultless. Also, I think 3440x1440 is a sweet spot. 5120*1440 is nearly 4K pixel count and remembering the 3080 is a 10gb card. There's the 3840*1600 LG monitors like the 38gl950 which is more realistic to drive at decent frames with ultra settings but it's $3k.

My X34P is still a really good monitor. If I were to spend $2k+ on an upgrade I'd rather wait and see if a killer OLED monitor gets dropped in the futue.

meanwhile i'm still running this "beast" here

lel

Built up damaged cardboard box from scratch (excuse the actual box, apparently I suck at making a box with flaps). Substance Painter is awesome. Excuse there being a really big and a really small box too. I keep stuffing up Blender -> UE4 scale. One is really big because even though I set the scale to 0.01, Blender didn't save it so it kept it at 1 so it's a 2 metre box lol. Then I tried changing it to 0.01 but not the physical dimensions so it's a smol 20cm boi. Will know for next time.

box1.png box2.png

Built up damaged cardboard box from scratch (excuse the actual box, apparently I suck at making a box with flaps). Substance Painter is awesome. Excuse there being a really big and a really small box too. I keep stuffing up Blender -> UE4 scale. One is really big because even though I set the scale to 0.01, Blender didn't save it so it kept it at 1 so it's a 2 metre box lol. Then I tried changing it to 0.01 but not the physical dimensions so it's a smol 20cm boi. Will know for next time.

View attachment 1075466View attachment 1075467

That looks amazing!

That looks amazing!

Thanks!

Over the last few years I've transferred my old mod making interests to indie game development. I've never considered myself anything of an artist so have stuck to code. However I've hit a brick wall just doing that as I was bored of playing around in sample projects and stuff. So I decided a little while ago to see if I could learn environmental and level design. So far it's clicking with me and got the professional Substance software that all the pros use (only $300 USD a year, nothing compared to some of the other industry tools!). It's actually a lot of fun making AAA looking assets. I'm still finding my way in Blender and Substance Painter so a model like that cardboard box and the barrel on the previous page might take me 2-3 hours to make and UV map. Substance Painter is full of smart materials to do 90% of the things you might want (they also have a massive online library that you can download materials others have made), but to fiddle around making something detailed and unique from scratch like that box might take another 2-3 hours of mostly trial and error.

Once I get the hang of it I don't see why things like that would take more than an hour each. Also starting to wonder why can't I make a AAA looking game? Who says indie has to be 2D or low poly? I have been following a few pro level designers and artists from big places like Ubisoft and picking up on their tricks and workflow. As long as you keep the scope realistic I don't see why it's not possible. Not to mention Epic are including their new MetaHumans into UE4 soon too (though I might still look using Character Creator 3 even if it will set me back another few hundred).

Thanks!

Over the last few years I've transferred my old mod making interests to indie game development. I've never considered myself anything of an artist so have stuck to code. However I've hit a brick wall just doing that as I was bored of playing around in sample projects and stuff. So I decided a little while ago to see if I could learn environmental and level design. So far it's clicking with me and got the professional Substance software that all the pros use (only $300 USD a year, nothing compared to some of the other industry tools!). It's actually a lot of fun making AAA looking assets. I'm still finding my way in Blender and Substance Painter so a model like that cardboard box and the barrel on the previous page might take me 2-3 hours to make and UV map. Substance Painter is full of smart materials to do 90% of the things you might want (they also have a massive online library that you can download materials others have made), but to fiddle around making something detailed and unique from scratch like that box might take another 2-3 hours of mostly trial and error.

Once I get the hang of it I don't see why things like that would take more than an hour each. Also starting to wonder why can't I make a AAA looking game? Who says indie has to be 2D or low poly? I have been following a few pro level designers and artists from big places like Ubisoft and picking up on their tricks and workflow. As long as you keep the scope realistic I don't see why it's not possible. Not to mention Epic are including their new MetaHumans into UE4 soon too (though I might still look using Character Creator 3 even if it will set me back another few hundred).

Wonderful! Yeah everything is so much more accessible these days. Are you looking into some programming too for indie game creation? I dabble in Unity3d from time to time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonderful! Yeah everything is so much more accessible these days. Are you looking into some programming too for indie game creation? I dabble in Unity3d from time to time.

I should have most of the programming sorted. I've spent way more time in Unity and I prefer C#, but Unreal has some built in features that I find a bit cumbersome in Unity. That why I've decided to use Unreal for my (hopeful) project but have had learn C++ and the Unreal library along the way (what do you mean I have to use pointers?!). Not to mention in Unreal I can use Quixel. That s**t is a game changer.

I still need to sandbox a few of the things to see what is within my limits, but I've been sitting on an idea of Silent Hill inspired Lucas Arts style adventure game (Monkey Island, Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis etc). I love RPGs but didn't want to get bogged down in code. This idea the main functionality would only be an inventory system and a way to compare and use items to either create other items or trigger an event. I've got some modular third person movement and animation controller scripts tucked away. Once I get that wired up and running I can spend as long as I want designing the game and building up the visuals. I've been watching how professionals do it in passes and it seems manageable even solo. The only thing I'm still unsure of is morphs for facial animation (outside of rigging bones) but I've decided not to think about that yet and worry about that should I get that far.

And just back on UE4, this a demo of recreating a Silent Hill scene in Unreal using Quixel. They have heaps of other demos showing off the mega scans but this one is topical. I figured Substance Painter for my own assets, and Quixel for environments. All you really need to do is setup your meshes and UV map them properly. Then it's drag and drop.

Last edited:
I should have most of the programming sorted. I've spent way more time in Unity and I prefer C#, but Unreal has some built in features that I find a bit cumbersome in Unity. That why I've decided to use Unreal for my (hopeful) project but have had learn C++ and the Unreal library along the way (what do you mean I have to use pointers?!). Not to mention in Unreal I can use Quixel. That sh*t is a game changer.

I still need to sandbox a few of the things to see what is within my limits, but I've been sitting on an idea of Silent Hill inspired Lucas Arts style adventure game (Monkey Island, Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis etc). I love RPGs but didn't want to get bogged down in code. This idea the main functionality would only be an inventory system and a way to compare and use items to either create other items or trigger an event. I've got some modular third person movement and animation controller scripts tucked away. Once I get that wired up and running I can spend as long as I want designing the game and building up the visuals. I've been watching how professionals do it in passes and it seems manageable even solo. The only thing I'm still unsure of is morphs for facial animation (outside of rigging bones) but I've decided not to think about that yet and worry about that should I get that far.

And just back on UE4, this a demo of recreating a Silent Hill scene in Unreal using Quixel. They have heaps of other demos showing off the mega scans but this one is topical. I figured Substance Painter for my own assets, and Quixel for environments. All you really need to do is setup your meshes and UV map them properly. Then it's drag and drop.

Ahh wonderful. I've never tried Unreal or C++. For Unity yeah I use C#. Not amazing though.

I think an RPG which is environment heavy rather than UI/details heavy could be really cool! If artwork is your main passion at the moment, make the most of it!

Excited to see what you can come up with.

I should have most of the programming sorted. I've spent way more time in Unity and I prefer C#, but Unreal has some built in features that I find a bit cumbersome in Unity. That why I've decided to use Unreal for my (hopeful) project but have had learn C++ and the Unreal library along the way (what do you mean I have to use pointers?!). Not to mention in Unreal I can use Quixel. That sh*t is a game changer.

You had me at 'Monkey Island'.

* I miss lucas games.

I just want milk that tastes like real milk.

Get up close and personal to a cow and just start sucking.

I've always wondered what the first person caught sucking off a cow was doing.

"Marge: There's some weirdo in our field sucking off one of the cows!"

Building a new work comp but it can only be Linux or Mac (no one in my field uses Windows). This means that I'll end up with some ridiculous like $6-7k USD setup (that I could never afford myself) but it won't be the gaming beast it could have been. Not even allowed a dual boot :(

Building a new work comp but it can only be Linux or Mac (no one in my field uses Windows). This means that I'll end up with some ridiculous like $6-7k USD setup (that I could never afford myself) but it won't be the gaming beast it could have been. Not even allowed a dual boot :(

*whispers*

Virtual machine

Linus shilling GPU mining.

HUB is not your friend.

Nvidia is not your friend

GN is not your friend

AMD is not your friend.

Idiots think these guys run channels because they care about you.

Linus shilling GPU mining.

Idiots think these guys run channels because they care about you.

I stopped following most of them on Twitter. The fame has got to them and they've mostly turned into condescending douche bags. Sure, they deal with a lot of trolls but sometimes you see genuine questions or justified criticism, and instead of being diplomatic they patronise and name and shame while their posse of followers and fellow tech gang all pile on to the point of humiliation.

I stopped following most of them on Twitter. The fame has got to them and they've mostly turned into condescending douche bags. Sure, they deal with a lot of trolls but sometimes you see genuine questions or justified criticism, and instead of being diplomatic they patronise and name and shame while their posse of followers and fellow tech gang all pile on to the point of humiliation.

The only important part of their content is the charts and graphs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back