Discussion Random Discussion (No Politics, Religion) - SHOW CHIN PASSPORT ON ENTRY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
you find it weird that people would highlight that what you claimed to have happened was factually incorrect?

it never happened George. there was no cancelling of a carton character because of perceived rape culture.

but you're right, such a weird stance to take.

i would say that getting all worked up about something that didn't happen, is a weirder stance and then proceed to try and defend that to be even weirder.
Are you deliberately ignoring the point of what I'm saying? I'm not too sure how many times I need to spell it out. Maybe you just ignore it because it doesn't suit your agenda? Tell me.

YES, the company didn't cancel him. Now we have established that for the dozenth time, does it actually matter WHO he was cancelled by? You do understand the nature of cancel culture right? Because Dr.Dre didn't cancel Eminem does that mean the attempt to cancel him wasn't made?

Cancelling someone can come from anywhere. In this case a NYT reporter spread misinformation that grew legs to the point its all over the world now and because of this it makes it very difficult for a company like WB to come back from this in regards to bringing PLP back because the rumour has spread enough it's basically been labelled a fact, otherwise every news source reporting on it would've said otherwise.

It's not that hard to understand, surely.

And again you bang on about me getting worked up? Do I need to tell you four times that I find it funny before you register it? What is frustrating is having to repeat myself over and over again lol.

I'm happy to discuss what was posted if you could stop having to make me just keep repeating my point constantly.

If you don't understand it lets just move on.

And yes I do find it funny arguing about a Looney Tunes character, the stupidity of that isn't lost on me 😅
Ahh now I see the problem - you think the discussion is simply about a Looney Tunes character.

See you've got it all wrong - its not about a cartoon character, its actually about how entrenched the power imbalance is between the sexes and, as a consequence, realising the extent society must examine itself to ensure that imbalance is addressed.

The left blaming the right for everything The right blaming the left for everything and all as bad as each other. Boy we do love to label everything and every one, this is when BF turns to sh*t
Ether way no one wins. The days of constructive debate are well gone. It's all about being right no matter the cost.

Ahh now I see the problem - you think the discussion is simply about a Looney Tunes character.

See you've got it all wrong - its not about a cartoon character, its actually about how entrenched the power imbalance is between the sexes and, as a consequence, realising the extent society must examine itself to ensure that imbalance is addressed.
Haha don't be disingenuous, I think anyone who has read through this discussion would understand quite clearly it's not that simple. But it's kind of an obvious point I'm making, the fact you actually think that I think that is bizarre.

Oh for sure regarding your second point - you just think cancelling almost non-existent parts of our culture plays an important role in closing the gap on these issues and I'm of the opinion it most certainly does not do that at all and would prefer this time and energy be spent on real issues that actually matter and making significant change that benefits everyone. All this crap is is an attempt to virtue signal and another opportunity for people who don't actually help the situation sit and feel "outraged" by it, I assume to make them feel like they are making a real difference.

You are sitting here defending someone going out and lying about a situation to ruin the reputation of another. I don't understand why you support it. We know there's nothing coming from the source in regards to it being about rape culture. So some reporter has made it up, ran with it, it's spread across the globe, the more rumour spreads the more likely it is to become "fact", the reputation is now ruined, and you are OK with this behaviour?

the character was never cancelled for the reasons you mentioned

you are getting upset over something that never happened
People make a lot of ******* money lying about s**t like this.

You'd think the ever-present "SJW's" were the most powerful social and political force on the planet if you believed half of it.

The most incredible thing is that these "SJW's" getting major corporations to 'cancel' something are almost always the internal marketing department's of these companies betting that their decision will cause conversations like this one. With half the people angry that something ridiculous has happened and blaming sjw's, and the other half defending the decision.

You know what I hadn't heard about before this thread? Space Jam 2. But people got mad enough to bring it up on a football forum so I've heard about it now. And the production company didn't have to spend a dime marketing it to me.

Last edited:
People make a lot of ******* money lying about sh*t like this.

You'd think the ever-present "SJW's" were the most powerful social and political force on the planet if you believed half of it.

The most incredible thing is that these "SJW's" getting major corporations to 'cancel' something are almost always the internal marketing department's of these companies betting that their decision will cause conversations like this one. With half the people angry that something ridiculous has happened and blaming sjw's, and the other half defending the decision.

You know what I hadn't heard about before this thread? Space Jam 2. But people got mad enough to bring it up on a football forum so I've heard about it now. And the production company didn't have to spend a dime marketing it to me.
Hadn't heard about SJ2??

Seen the first one?

I genuinely don't think I have ever seen it all the way through. Just snippets here and there when i was a kid at friends houses

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ah you've gotta give it a go mate! Classic.

Really looking forward to the second one too, they say the original is always better than the sequel but hopefully it stacks up

you got angry about something that never happened. there is no link between the NY article that wanted the character cancelled and the reason why the character got cut.

the cancelling of the scene pre-dated the article and the scene was actually pro me too.

Outrage gets clicks so it depending on where you get your "news" you'll be told vegan lesbians are plotting a take over of our morals or a group of armed religious right soldiers will force everyone to say prayers in schools and women will be chained to the sink while being denied abortions.The truth is that while some extreme characters call for it not much of it ever gets traction. Well unless Q Anon keep getting more loonie tunes buying in. Who ever said they keep us fighting among ourselves while they pillage our wallets probably had it right.

If he was or wasn't cancelled because of the reasons mentioned is neither here nor there for me personally. To me it still doesn't take away from the hilarity of a reporter running with it. The mindset of someone to immediately come to that conclusion is hilarious and the same kind of thinking is prevalent everywhere.

My comment was he was cancelled because of his contribution to rape culture. He doesnt need to be cancelled by the film. He can also be cancelled by lunatics like the reporter in the NYT. There's really no coming back from that now, they've painted a picture already, and it would be incredibly hard to put PLP back into a future film and defend it. There would be pressure on WB to make a move like that when if in fact he wasn't cancelled because of rape culture, social justice warriors have just cancelled something for literal lies.

It's not that outrageous, Dave Chappell had a comedy routine saying the same thing. He was a lecherous little turd of a character, I think the free online pr0n kids are exposed to will be more likely to contribute to rape culture though. The media love getting people with extreme viewpoints on because it gets eyes on them to sell advertising. Same reason David King and Kane Cornes are employed on multiple platforms while more balanced commentators are lining up for dole payments.

It's not that outrageous, Dave Chappell had a comedy routine saying the same thing. He was a lecherous little turd of a character, I think the free online pr0n kids are exposed to will be more likely to contribute to rape culture though. The media love getting people with extreme viewpoints on because it gets eyes on them to sell advertising. Same reason David King and Kane Cornes are employed on multiple platforms while more balanced commentators are lining up for dole payments.
You don't see an issue with that?

I understand they get people on to get clicks, it doesn't really matter what the reason was for in this particular instance because I can only imagine the pressure WB will be under if they were to reintroduce PLP later on. Especially when others here argued that it was all made up (reasons for being cut from SJ2). I don't quite understand how some are seemingly OK with that kind of behaviour. I look at stuff like this and just laugh, the stupidity is unreal.

You don't see an issue with that?

I understand they get people on to get clicks, it doesn't really matter what the reason was for in this particular instance because I can only imagine the pressure WB will be under if they were to reintroduce PLP later on. Especially when others here argued that it was all made up (reasons for being cut from SJ2). I don't quite understand how some are seemingly OK with that kind of behaviour. I look at stuff like this and just laugh, the stupidity is unreal.

As I said before morality changes over time. What was acceptable in the 1960s isn't now and it's not all bad. I find it stupid when you get obviously satirical stuff cancelled though. Sometimes the people that changed attitudes to things get caught up with no context as to why they were actually a good way of changing accepted biases of the times. The Goodies which were played over and over in Australia, used blackface, racial stereo types etc but their whole point was ridiculing the systems that allowed the prejudices to take place. It would be a shame if the outrage of the modern age didn't recognise their contribution to changing the debate in those days. They were talking about Apartheid, white privilege etc but in a subversive way.

The same could be said for getting excited about cancelling the cancelling, letting yourself get emotionally excited by the views you disagree with is exactly the same thing. It's just exposing your own ideology. I do it myself, it's quite addictive finding stuff that makes you riled when you see it. Feeling a sense of moral superiority is like a drug, you get off on it. Mine is more biased against QAnon follower types with guns and a religious agenda. If you lean right it's more skewed against the liberal social progressives. It's like we got rid of religion to fight over and formed new ones to do the same thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People make a lot of ******* money lying about sh*t like this.

I'm in the same boat. I knew about space jam. But not spacejam 2.

Didn't want to clog up the serious threads.

From a fantasy POV, do you think Hunter gets games when:
A. Marshall returns
B. Ryder returns

Good luck for the season. You guys are looking better than us 😢
Probably not

Didn't want to clog up the serious threads.

From a fantasy POV, do you think Hunter gets games when:
A. Marshall returns
B. Ryder returns

Good luck for the season. You guys are looking better than us 😢
Please clog it up
It could only be an improvement

As I said before morality changes over time. What was acceptable in the 1960s isn't now and it's not all bad. I find it stupid when you get obviously satirical stuff cancelled though. Sometimes the people that changed attitudes to things get caught up with no context as to why they were actually a good way of changing accepted biases of the times. The Goodies which were played over and over in Australia, used blackface, racial stereo types etc but their whole point was ridiculing the systems that allowed the prejudices to take place. It would be a shame if the outrage of the modern age didn't recognise their contribution to changing the debate in those days. They were talking about Apartheid, white privilege etc but in a subversive way.

The same could be said for getting excited about cancelling the cancelling, letting yourself get emotionally excited by the views you disagree with is exactly the same thing. It's just exposing your own ideology. I do it myself, it's quite addictive finding stuff that makes you riled when you see it. Feeling a sense of moral superiority is like a drug, you get off on it. Mine is more biased against QAnon follower types with guns and a religious agenda. If you lean right it's more skewed against the liberal social progressives. It's like we got rid of religion to fight over and formed new ones to do the same thing.

A lot of that was war time propaganda. I heard a segment on ABC RN from a podcaster who was talking about how the CIA had created the Winds Of Change song by the Scorpions as a Cold War propaganda piece. Our pop culture has been used as a way of bending public sentiment for ever. Possibly this one below.

Cheers Mowman watched the first four episodes of Vikings last night hooked and stayed up until 2am, suffering today lol
I'm on season 3 already

Didn't realise till last night Ragnar Lothbrok is an Aussie boy Travis Fimmel from Echuca

Former St Kilda schoolgirl Kim Duthie is set to launch an OnlyFans account, but claims she will be “classy” not crass.

LOL :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back