Universal Love Gary Ablett - 350 games for the Little Master

Remove this Banner Ad

People forget it is umpires award for best and fairest.
I don't think that criterion holds much weight these days with the discrepancies in MRP rulings. Judd injures a player with a chicken wing in 2010 and wins the Brownlow; Dangerfield misses a Brownlow in 2017 by performing a tackle judged on outcome rather than execution (which is apparently not how it's judged now).

I don't think that criterion holds much weight these days with the discrepancies in MRP rulings. Judd injures a player with a chicken wing in 2010 and wins the Brownlow; Dangerfield misses a Brownlow in 2017 by performing a tackle judged on outcome rather than execution (which is apparently not how it's judged now).
Agree. Still, some umps would uphold the ethos when voting.
Shame that the fairness aspect is slowly being eroded and sidelined.
There are plenty of other awards for best player etc.

I was just watching a highlights video of GAJ on youtube and noticed a neat coincidence.

First career goal: receives a handball over the top from Glenn Kilpatrick (#13)

First goal back at Geelong: receives a handball over the top from Lachie Fogarty (#13)

I was just watching a highlights video of GAJ on youtube and noticed a neat coincidence.

First career goal: receives a handball over the top from Glenn Kilpatrick (#13)

First goal back at Geelong: receives a handball over the top from Lachie Fogarty (#13)
That's a beauty.
Wonder if LF will replace GAJ this week.(managed)

You don't think Dusty would have won it anyway?

You don't think Dusty would have won it anyway?
Even with the suspension, it should have been a tie. No way was Dangerfield not best afield against the Pies in R22. He didn't get one vote, which reeks of an agenda. Not a conspiracy to get Dusty a medal, but I suspect they don't want situations where players 'win' the Brownlow but don't win it because of a very dubious suspension. Puts a lot of heat on the AFL and its processes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to have universal love for a player who walked out on his home club and town during the peak of his career. It’s quite weird how Geelong supporters forget that. it’s not like he went home like danger or Judd or chased flags at a better team. He just stopped liking us.

I just wish it had been more honest.

Something along the lines of "look the money they're offering is life changing, it's too good to refuse and I'm going to take it". Most fans would have understood that nowadays. They're all in it for the money. The whole "looking for a new challenge" line was always garbage.

Had he stayed with us his legacy would be even greater. Probably only his father would be a better all-time player at the club.

Hard to have universal love for a player who walked out on his home club and town during the peak of his career. It’s quite weird how Geelong supporters forget that. it’s not like he went home like danger or Judd or chased flags at a better team. He just stopped liking us.
His choice and we all get a chance to make choices about our lives. Imagine what it would have been like for him with everything and everyone comparing him to his father. This was his chance to be himself. And what nonesense that he stopped liking us. He wanted to come back earlier GCS stopped him.

Something along the lines of "look the money they're offering is life changing, it's too good to refuse and I'm going to take it". Most fans would have understood that nowadays. They're all in it for the money. The whole "looking for a new challenge" line was always garbage.

Had he stayed with us his legacy would be even greater. Probably only his father would be a better all-time player at the club.

Perhaps.

Personally Im not sure if it would have made a difference to me. One can say all sorts or excuses or reasons. I remember when I coached in BB, kids would come up with their version of the dog ate the homework, sorry etc..as to why the would not get to training. In the end, you either get there or you dont.

For Gary , I still feel he was influenced by his dad's situation re dollars, and also coming off a 5 year deal where he probably got under paid for the last couple of years... and thats fine, everyone can do what they want, but what he knocked back to move was not pork rinds. The money between what we offered and what her got, minus tax etc.. only he could say if it was worth it. IMO, he wasted his best years running around in macdonalds coloured jumper getting flogged each week.

Totally agree with the bold, and one wonders what they would have been worth financially. Hard to judge.

Agree. It would of been understandable if he just said it was for the money. The other reasons he gave were more hurtful.

Guys. Ablett signed to the Suns 10 years, 5 months and 14 days ago. That's 3820 days ago.

3820 days and some of you guys are still complaining about it?

No doubt there'll be complaints in 5 years time when Ablett becomes eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame and he will no doubt be inducted at the first or second opportunity

And then there'll be further complaints when he is then inducted as a legend sometime down the track

Remove this Banner Ad

Back