DFWGrapher

Debutant
Mar 13, 2021
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Cleveland in every sport
Hey everyone, new member here from the US.

I spent a few weeks in Australia back in high school as an exchange student and got hooked on the AFL that way. With the pandemic messing with sports and life in general here, I've rediscovered the sport and seem to have Fox Footy on all the time at home. Been a North Melbourne fan since I was there in 2000; I also follow Collingwood because they sent me a free hat back in 2007, and any Tasmanian players. Been watching the AFLW a bit as well-- I'm liking that their game is just as physical as the men's game. American women's sports tend to lose physicality, at least in ice hockey where the women don't allow hitting. I haven't seen a decrease there in footy.

I'm also a big sports card and autograph collector (hence the "grapher" in my name) mostly in baseball, hockey, soccer, and American football. It's tough finding AFL cards here: I got a couple boxes of the Select set from 1994 a while back but that's all I have. I also collect autographs via mail and am about to mail a batch out to several former AFL players soon as soon as my postage stamps arrive. I just sent my first one a few weeks ago to Sav Rocca... and then literally a day after I mailed I found out the postage price for my return envelope went from 3.20 to 3.40. So hopefully your postal service is understanding or he sticks an extra 20 cents on.

Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Saints

I spent a few weeks in Australia back in high school as an exchange student and got hooked on the AFL that way. With the pandemic messing with sports and life in general here, I've rediscovered the sport and seem to have Fox Footy on all the time at home. Been a North Melbourne fan since I was there in 2000; I also follow Collingwood because they sent me a free hat back in 2007, and any Tasmanian players. Been watching the AFLW a bit as well-- I'm liking that their game is just as physical as the men's game. American women's sports tend to lose physicality, at least in ice hockey where the women don't allow hitting. I haven't seen a decrease there in footy.

I'm also a big sports card and autograph collector (hence the "grapher" in my name) mostly in baseball, hockey, soccer, and American football. It's tough finding AFL cards here: I got a couple boxes of the Select set from 1994 a while back but that's all I have. I also collect autographs via mail and am about to mail a batch out to several former AFL players soon as soon as my postage stamps arrive. I just sent my first one a few weeks ago to Sav Rocca... and then literally a day after I mailed I found out the postage price for my return envelope went from 3.20 to 3.40. So hopefully your postal service is understanding or he sticks an extra 20 cents on.
Welcome mate...

I wouldn't be holding my breath for postal service support though - good luck.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

G'day Mate
Good to see we have supporters in the USA hopefully you're in good health and you are surviving Corvid and hopefully you can get your family and friends to jump on the AFL and North Melbourne bandwagon more supporters the better.
Also hopefully you continue to collect your sports cards and hope you can keep enjoying North play.

DFWGrapher

Debutant
Mar 13, 2021
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Cleveland in every sport
Welcome mate...

I wouldn't be holding my breath for postal service support though - good luck.

No luck on Rocca yet, but I got a few others back that I sent off. And I feel about the same on the US Postal Service too; at least ours is cheap for now.

G'day Mate
Good to see we have supporters in the USA hopefully you're in good health and you are surviving Corvid and hopefully you can get your family and friends to jump on the AFL and North Melbourne bandwagon more supporters the better.
Also hopefully you continue to collect your sports cards and hope you can keep enjoying North play.

I'm definitely trying! I survived a bout with Covid in December and got vaccinated in March/April so all is good there. As for getting people on the bandwagon, I went to a USAFL game a week and a half ago with my wife and a couple friends (Dallas 16.7.103 beat North Texas 1.3.9 in NT's first ever game), and have another friend who wants to go to one. So I'm trying to get them going on it. I did at least stay awake to see part of North's win this past weekend. That was nice.

Collingwood is the big team around here because of Mason Cox.

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Hey mate. I can help you out with an aussie card collecting forum if you want that covers both AFL and US sports. Shoot me a pm if you want.

We used to play Ireland in an international rules series that had pretty close to the rules you are envisioning.

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Welcome mate.

Back