AFL Player #20: Peter "Litre" Wright 🏅 - Pleads guilty at tribunal, 4 week suspension - 26/3

Remove this Banner Ad

20 - peter wright.jpg

Contract Status: Free Agent (?) 2027
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 21, TheGrizz

Last edited by a moderator:

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I want to get excited when I see our players being aggressive but these days I'm more worried it ends in 50s or suspensions.

It's not really my thing but with Wright his physical intensity and willingness to impose himself on a contest (using that incredible rig he has) has been an issue.

I like to think of it as a statement of intent.

It's not really my thing but with Wright his physical intensity and willingness to impose himself on a contest (using that incredible rig he has) has been an issue.

I like to think of it as a statement of intent.
Yeah I can get around that until he gets rubbed out for this statement of intent(ional, high, medium).

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah I can get around that until he gets rubbed out for this statement of intent(ional, high, medium).

If he’s been soft in the past and it’s been drummed into him to be harder, that’s probably inevitable. These things swing back and forth before they land right.

If he gets a couple of weeks for going too hard at a contest it won’t necessarily be the worst thing, as long as it doesn’t become a habit.

Was 2014 a strong draft? Thought it was weak as piss.
Petracca, Brayshaw, De Goey, Moore, Duggan, McLean, Touk Miller, Maynard, Daniel, Dougal Howard, Andrews, not to mention Waterman and Langford

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
Petracca, Brayshaw, De Goey, Moore, Duggan, McLean, Touk Miller, Maynard, Daniel, Dougal Howard, Andrews, not to mention Waterman and Langford
Alec Waterman who hasn’t played a senior game is evidence of a strong draft?

As for the others, all drafts post 2000 have a handful of decent players. It’s definitely weak compared to other contemporary drafts.

Alec Waterman who hasn’t played a senior game is evidence of a strong draft?

As for the others, all drafts post 2000 have a handful of decent players. It’s definitely weak compared to other contemporary drafts.
I was attempting to take the piss with him.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Coaches pet, apparently.

Good to hear. At the risk of being overly repetitive on the point, I reckon he just needs the love, someone who believes in what he can do. It's well and good to know you need to make improvements and even to make them, but ultimately when you're in his spot you also need a coach that believes. Clearly Dew didn't.

Get that game against the Cats as the norm and he's essentially A grade. I reckon some posters out there have psyched themselves out of this a bit. 2015 to 2019 if we could have taken Wright, the feeling seemed to be most would jump at it.

It's kind of like the old Ian Chappel line, it's not that he was playing badly, he was just getting out.

Lid is off for me, in case you can't tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Obviously now it’s the future and Big Footy is most people’s main news source, The Age can no longer pay for copy editing
Quotes like "Peter Wright is a footballer, who is called Peter Wright" and then going around in circles seems about right for something lifted from BigFooty.

Late-breaking news, 'tall guys need bigger beds'.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Gleeson is a good writer, no sure what the big deal is. Most footballers are boring as batshit, a little personal anecdote doesn’t hurt
He is an ok writer with a nice perspective. This article just needed an editor to do a decent job. The tone weirdly fluctuates and the whole thing could be half the length and say the same thing.

I know it’s a fluff piece but ideally I would have liked to know more about why he thinks he wasn’t getting games on the GC.. It’s framed like Dew just didn’t believe in him. Knowing what part of his game they wanted him to improve would help us understand the challenge in front of him.

Club debut against the Hawks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back