News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I respect Paddy's decision and needs, and hope he feels better. However I really hope its a particular issue than can be addressed in a few short weeks. If it spirals into something that sees him out for any longer, his conditioning may be shot and it could mean another week or so to get right. If that happens I'm not sure where that leaves us. I cant believe how bad the last few weeks have been.

ST KILDA – WAS THEIR 2020 FORM A FLASH IN THE PAN?

The Saints came out and recruited well in 2019 and 2020. They overhauled their list, allowing players like Jack Steven and Josh Bruce to head elsewhere, whilst bringing in players like Brad Hill, Dougal Howard, Dan Butler, Jack Higgins and Brad Crouch to name a few. They’ve really splurged on talent…

…. and it was not too far away from paying off in 2020, was it?

St Kilda surprised many with their two-headed ruck monster and their young and powerful defence, but things have gone a bit awry this pre-season. Rowan Marshall is hurt, Ben Paton is gone for the year and their captain had a fracture in his leg to deal with. In addition, recruit James Frawley twanged a hamstring in the AAMI series and is set to miss eight weeks.

Suddenly, the dream run is turning a bit sour, but the Saints are packed with talent, particularly when it comes to small forwards. Does Brett Ratten pull this group close together, look each one of them in the eye and tell them that no one believes in them? Does he throw down the challenge to prove the doomsayers wrong? Does he implore this ragtag group of misfi… sorry, I got caught in a Disney sports movie loop for a moment.

Does he need to use this as a tool?

The Saints have depth and can cover their losses. They have class and a developing brigade of high-quality youngsters. Some might not believe in them, but watching them in 2020 and the AAMI series in 2021, they play like they believe in themselves, and that is a weapon greater than the “they don’t believe in us” schtick.

ST KILDA – WAS THEIR 2020 FORM A FLASH IN THE PAN?

The Saints came out and recruited well in 2019 and 2020. They overhauled their list, allowing players like Jack Steven and Josh Bruce to head elsewhere, whilst bringing in players like Brad Hill, Dougal Howard, Dan Butler, Jack Higgins and Brad Crouch to name a few. They’ve really splurged on talent…

…. and it was not too far away from paying off in 2020, was it?

St Kilda surprised many with their two-headed ruck monster and their young and powerful defence, but things have gone a bit awry this pre-season. Rowan Marshall is hurt, Ben Paton is gone for the year and their captain had a fracture in his leg to deal with. In addition, recruit James Frawley twanged a hamstring in the AAMI series and is set to miss eight weeks.

Suddenly, the dream run is turning a bit sour, but the Saints are packed with talent, particularly when it comes to small forwards. Does Brett Ratten pull this group close together, look each one of them in the eye and tell them that no one believes in them? Does he throw down the challenge to prove the doomsayers wrong? Does he implore this ragtag group of misfi… sorry, I got caught in a Disney sports movie loop for a moment.

Does he need to use this as a tool?

The Saints have depth and can cover their losses. They have class and a developing brigade of high-quality youngsters. Some might not believe in them, but watching them in 2020 and the AAMI series in 2021, they play like they believe in themselves, and that is a weapon greater than the “they don’t believe in us” schtick.

who wrote that?

Ryder being absent for a while isn’t anywhere near the impact you think it is. Him missing some games isn’t going to sink our season.
Agreed - obviously very important player but it shouldn't be all doom and gloom like some posters have expressed! We have a bloody resilient bunch of blokes that'll lead our club proudly every week. Gone are the days where we question the effort. We'll get 110% every week from whoever puts the jumper on.

Agreed - obviously very important player but it shouldn't be all doom and gloom like some posters have expressed! We have a bloody resilient bunch of blokes that'll lead our club proudly every week. Gone are the days where we question the effort. We'll get 110% every week from whoever puts the jumper on.

Indeed. And who do we want? Ryder with his mind elsewhere, or Ryder who has his head straight and is mentally in a good place?
The outrage to this is bizarre. Not on here so much, but on Instagram there’s some real w***ers talking crap about it.

Indeed. And who do we want? Ryder with his mind elsewhere, or Ryder who has his head straight and is mentally in a good place?
The outrage to this is bizarre. Not on here so much, but on Instagram there’s some real w***ers talking crap about it.
No one knows what Ryder is going through , from marriage breakdown to not seeing his kids and family and another bunch of issues we are lucky he got his preseason in and hopefully he will be back by round 3 or 4.

No one knows what Ryder is going through , from marriage breakdown to not seeing his kids and family and another bunch of issues we are lucky he got his preseason in and hopefully he will be back by round 3 or 4.
Exactly, looking at it with a glass half full approach, we may very well have Marshall, Ryder, Zak Jones, Hanners and Crouch all good to go by Round 3 or 4. Not a terrible position to be in, especially as our first few rounds are winnable without them (albeit a bit tougher, but we are still good enough).

FYI Richmond on the Thursday in Round 5 could be huge if the above blokes are available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This from the Suns, not our media. But I thought Novak offered up some thought provoking statements that anyone may find inspiring. Worth a watch if you think you need some.

Punter is VERY confident here, haha. Definitely thinks he's got what it takes to hold a spot I reckon! Curious to see how the big fella goes.
Have to be honest, he comes across as a bit of a w***er. But having confidence in your ability isn't a bad thing, so hopefully he performs well.

Punter is VERY confident here, haha. Definitely thinks he's got what it takes to hold a spot I reckon! Curious to see how the big fella goes.

i dunno why but he reminded me of this:
1615540486047.png

Have to be honest, he comes across as a bit of a w***er. But having confidence in your ability isn't a bad thing, so hopefully he performs well.

Yeah, definitely some w***er vibes with a few of his answers - felt for Smack awkwardly standing next to him haha. A touch cringey, hopefully he can back it up!

Yeah, definitely some w***er vibes with a few of his answers - felt for Smack awkwardly standing next to him haha. A touch cringey, hopefully he can back it up!

Thought you boys may have been a little rough on him until I watched the presser. Massive w***er vibes as you said. Horrible answers. Surely the blokes get over him pretty quickly.

In saying that, Mckernan answered everything perfectly.

Not sure about the w***er vibes...maybe just displaying an air of confidence knowing that he has some pretty big boots to fill. I think he's just one of those guys that has been waiting to prove himself at the top level for a long time, and thinks he deserves it. May have a chip on his shoulder (which can be a good thing sometimes) He'll be up against Gawn in rd. 2, and will have to adjust from match SIM & practice games to the real deal. It usually takes 5 rounds for the season to settle in. We should have Ryd-Oma back by then...so as long as these two (Huntsmack) can do a job until then and hold the fort we should be okay.

Sounds like he's got something to prove and he genuinely believes he can compete. I think in his presser after arriving to the club he said he saw the Ruck as a 'gettable' position even before Marshall and Paddy went down, so he knows what he wants.

Power to him, if he can come out and perform then I certainly won't be complaining.

Thought you boys may have been a little rough on him until I watched the presser. Massive w***er vibes as you said. Horrible answers. Surely the blokes get over him pretty quickly.

In saying that, Mckernan answered everything perfectly.

Jeez, You guys are tough.
I saw a guy very new to the team and unused to the media spotlight feeling awkward and not exactly sure about what to say.
Remember when Steele started talking about finals a couple of years back and RoMa said the F word on live tv?

Think this is a guy pinching himself as to the position he’s found himself in and just didn’t necessarily have the right words. Having said that, if he’s got some confidence from his showing against Carlton, all the better for him and us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back