Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
The only things Sloane can be criticized on imo is leadership and form
Which encompass about 85% of his worth currently. I would also say his abilities have dropped by a considerable amount (50%) from peak outputs to.
Which doesn’t leave much of use unfortunately.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
I didn’t realise Rory and Belinda had to go down the IVF route to have Leo and then Sonny. Talking about Leo in the 5th episode and they’re still very emotional about him understandably. I do wonder if their troubles to have a baby and then the stillborn have played a part in his decline as a player, it would have a huge mental toll on anyone.
Highly likely. My ex had an early term miscarriage in 2003. After it was explained to me by the doctors I kind of forgot about it, but it came up a few years ago when me and my x wife separated. It clearly affected her badly which she had kept to herself for years.
Their situation was many many magnitudes worst in my opinion so could easily by quite distracting. Everyone processes things differently.

Sep 8, 2008
Pacific Northwest
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Seattle Seahawks
Something about getting her in and that review done, brought them almost instant success. But they must have been ready to fire already, because it takes years to build a culture and decent list. Having that exact same board and management wouldn’t have us contending any sooner, with where we’re at currently.

I don't recall the time frame but from memory Hardwick was under immense pressure at the end of either 2015 or 2016 to keep his job. It could very easily have gone the other way. And then the board faced a challenge from a rival ticket around the same time. Sliding doors.

Geez, you watch that and think Phil Walsh was our Hardwick but he slipped through our fingers.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Watched ep 4 last night.

The montage of our losses was hard to watch.

Whilst I still am unsure on Sloane's leadership qualities (nothing I have seen yet has changed my thoughts) he is a dam good/hard worker. Can't fault his effort at all, nor his ability. Hearing him reel off all those injuries suggests to me his body is struggling and we are seeing that now.

Can never fault his endeavour.

My thoughts on Leon Cameron have been reaffirmed. Poor coach. No talk on systems or structure, just "ra ra" about effort and backing Cognelio.

The flipside Harwick and Simpson very much disciples of Clarko where the process is taught and once instilled it is backed in every time. Hence their success.

Leon Cameron may have been a Clarko assistant, but he has strayed from his method.

NicNat would be a great guy to have at a club. Loves a joke but very professional and a competitive beast.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Very good series. Highly recommend it. Shows a rarely seen different side to what players endure.

Last edited:

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
That was during Neil's "I'm loving coaching more than ever" and "bulldozed by a powerful team (16th)" period. He was saying some odd things.

And the “do you know what our team would look like without (insert names of blokes retiring tomorrow here).”

It only took 10 years but he’s finally right about that. We look really s**t.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just finished it today.

I could listen to Dimma and to a lesser extent Adam Simpson all day. No wonder they have won the last four flags.

Dew is the right man for the Suns.

GWS aren't going anywhere under Cameron and a quiet captain.

I really enjoyed Eddie's arc.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, I thought Sloane came across well as a captain and not a 'club shill' at all. Nicks seems to be the right guy to steady the ship, but it was painfully obvious his assistants had no clue.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Maybe an unpopular opinion, I thought Sloane came across well as a captain and not a 'club shill' at all. Nicks seems to be the right guy to steady the ship, but it was painfully obvious his assistants had no clue.
Would be very interesting to see inside the club this year with the difference between assistant coaching groups from last year to this year.

Maddogmetro

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Just finished it today.

I could listen to Dimma and to a lesser extent Adam Simpson all day. No wonder they have won the last four flags.

Dew is the right man for the Suns.

GWS aren't going anywhere under Cameron and a quiet captain.

I really enjoyed Eddie's arc.

Geez Tigers footage showed exactly the reason they are the dominant club they are. Leadership and culture was so evident. Every player has respects and has bought in. The new benchmark for sure.

I feel positive about our future watching Nicks. The right balance of support and pressure for a young team.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Sloane is a great bloke, but a leader. After watching some of the docco I get the feeling he is not the best leader at the club.

Talia should be captain.

Talia? Ahhh nope

Not everyone has that vocal ability and presence to lead a club as captain. Sloane surprised me a lot with his leadership and voice, particularly out on the pitch. It was good to hear from Heath Shaw who said Cogs needed to focus on bringing what he thought were his best attributes to the Captain role, and delegate things he didn't want to do, or didn't feel his was strong at, to others. Sloane presented extremely well as Captain.

Hopefully this doco humanises the players a bit more to some of the posters on this board.

Nicks looks to be a brilliant mix of giving honest feedback, mentoring, nurturing relationships, and being able to give a few rockets every now and then.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Watched ep 4 last night.

Whilst I still am unsure on Sloane's leadership qualities (nothing I have seen yet has changed my thoughts) he is a dam good/hard worker. Can't fault his effort at all, nor his ability. Hearing him reel off all those injuries suggests to me his body is struggling and we are seeing that now.

Yeah absolutely, but this was last year when we know he was dealing with quite a lot of injury setbacks, and probably personal struggles.

Nicks pointed out several times, and this was evident throughout the doco, that Sloane tends to do a lot of the pressure/two-way gut running that you don't tend to see on the stat sheets. It's probably why there was a fair bit of frustration being shown with the midfield group, particularly players who didn't want to change from a previous game style and focus more on their defensive work, which Sloane has always been fairly good at. Seemed to be a lot of players also ball watching around stoppages.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Started this last night. I used to be bothered by Sloane’s uber-positivity but now I think he’s the perfect captain for where we are at. While the rest of the club is in rebuild mode, you want the players thinking 100% they can win every game. And Sloane is the sort of guy to genuinely believe that and bring others along with him.

Once your playing group loses that want to win, you go on a bit of a death cycle like Carlton, Melbourne.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Started this last night. I used to be bothered by Sloane’s uber-positivity but now I think he’s the perfect captain for where we are at. While the rest of the club is in rebuild mode, you want the players thinking 100% they can win every game. And Sloane is the sort of guy to genuinely believe that and bring others along with him.

Once your playing group loses that want to win, you go on a bit of a death cycle like Carlton, Melbourne.

I was thinking something similar, like we realistically know we can't win most games we go into this year, know that we wont win most of them and the coaching staff would know that a win isn't the only positive they can take out of a game right now but you do have to keep the playing group up and believing they can win most of the time, otherwise it will fall into a heap and the actual improvement we are looking for (staying in games longer) won't be there either.

The one thing from the documentary that I'd sort of ignored all of this time, with my "the players are just over paid assets used by the club to win a premiership" belief is how real these injuries are, I've never had an operation, so to hear Rory sort of list off all the operations he'd had, then get put under for surgery, which is obviously a risk no matter how minor, kind of put some perspective on the price they do pay and the risks they take.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

I agree with this.

Watching a bit more, I can see this more.

He is more a nurturer than other guys who could be captain.

You are right. He is the right leader for this group.

And yes, it is great the players believe they can win. Even if it is unlikely.

Once the playing group have it ingrained in them they can't win, it becomes part of their culture and development. Which is why many clubs never leave the bottom.

Our guys need to keep that winning mentality to prevent multiple bottom four seasons.

Development is more than x amount of games equals exp points.

I

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I agree with this.

Watching a bit more, I can see this more.

He is more a nurturer than other guys who could be captain.

You are right. He is the right leader for this group.

And yes, it is great the players believe they can win. Even if it is unlikely.

Once the playing group have it ingrained in them they can't win, it becomes part of their culture and development. Which is why many clubs never leave the bottom.

Our guys need to keep that winning mentality to prevent multiple bottom four seasons.

Development is more than x amount of games equals exp points.

I

Yeah the "we think we can make finals" talk isn't realistic but we have to believe we can win. As soon as we go down the rabbit hole of "we don't expect to play finals for 4 years" it permeates through the entire club.

As soon as a player loses their belief they're done. That might be ok from 32/33yo but when the kids don't see any light it kills their career.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Yeah absolutely, but this was last year when we know he was dealing with quite a lot of injury setbacks, and probably personal struggles.

Nicks pointed out several times, and this was evident throughout the doco, that Sloane tends to do a lot of the pressure/two-way gut running that you don't tend to see on the stat sheets. It's probably why there was a fair bit of frustration being shown with the midfield group, particularly players who didn't want to change from a previous game style and focus more on their defensive work, which Sloane has always been fairly good at. Seemed to be a lot of players also ball watching around stoppages.
I'd dispute the "ball watching"....more like "opponent" watching. None moreso than Chayce Jones when he was in the gutz. Also very evident when watching Hately in the 1st trial game against Powa a couple of weeks ago....both previously natural ball hunters.

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
Ok so I finished the last episode last night and the thing that sticks out the most in this is the difference in the coaches.

I know that Dimma had a bit more focus on him throughout, however I couldn't help be impressed by the way he goes about it and has that Club humming along and are so well-drilled.

Compare that to Leon Cameron and it is chalk and cheese. Leon looks out of his depth and the players are just going through the motions.

Nicks seems to be saying the right things and looks to be building something, but too early to tell if he is a good coach or not. If he can turn around the s**t show that the AFC has become, then it will be on the back of what he has done.

Adam Simpson seems like a solid operator, as does Stewy Dew. Dew is building a nice little culture and tight-knit group at the Suns.

One of the more bizarre things i say was David Teague trying to tell Eddie Betts how to kick. WTF was that?

Obviously it is edited for it's purpose, but I enjoyed the series in giving a snapshot of what it is like behind closed doors.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
I'd dispute the "ball watching"....more like "opponent" watching. None moreso than Chayce Jones when he was in the gutz. Also very evident when watching Hately in the 1st trial game against Powa a couple of weeks ago....both previously natural ball hunters.

Have you seen the doco? I can assure you there's a fair bit of 'watching' going on, player and ball.

I also dispute this whole conspiracy theory that we've 'destroyed' players natural ball-winning ability. You have to versatile when making the step up to the seniors, and Chayce has managed to get inside his own head more than we've confused his role.

Dec 4, 2014
Top End of Aussie
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Have you seen the doco? I can assure you there's a fair bit of 'watching' going on, player and ball.

I also dispute this whole conspiracy theory that we've 'destroyed' players natural ball-winning ability. You have to versatile when making the step up to the seniors, and Chayce has managed to get inside his own head more than we've confused his role.
Did you see the recent matches.?
At one centre bounce Chase attended Laird gave him a hand signal that he was to go defensive on his opponent.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ep 5 where Sloane stands up and says there are players who don't know the game plan and suggested players need to learn it is a good insight.

Bring a notepad in and then go back and study he says.

AFL guys do a lot of study on game plan/theory. From talking with a few in the league, not just at our club, the amount of theory work done is not far off studying at Uni. A typical day at the club involves half the time doing theory work. Remember they are at the club 7 or so hours a day.

It really is something a lot of supporters probably don't realise and a big difference between AFL and the State Leagues.

Also a reason a lot of guys get churned out. Can't do the study, and not physically/naturally talented enough to get by.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
My take on the doc series:
*Very well made.
*Very good production techniques.
*Great sound and in game footage really took the doco to another level.
*Clubs they chose were very good. GWS was the letdown for me and Carlton also was meh. Betts arc was good in parts but found it somewhat boring and repetitive.
*Nic Nat was the star of the show pretty much. Is a funny bastard and a great team mate I would presume.
*Dimma and Simpson stand out as great coaches and decent human beings.
*Too much emphasis on Peggy O'Neal and Brendan Gale especially. At times it was the Gale doco.
*I would have liked more input from other players at the clubs and not just the main protagonists.
* Sloane came off better than I thought he would. Talks quite a bit onfield. Whether he is our best choice as captain is debatable but I hope he hands it over end of the year.
*Nick's comes across as capable but he needs to take it to the next level to keep his job long term imo.
*Interesting part of the doco is when Scott comes into the box to congratulate Dimma prior to the final siren. Scott seems a decent bloke and a good sport.
*Cameron comes across as incapable and willing to throw anyone under the bus(including his captain) to save his job. Coniglio looks like a shattered man about to have a mental breakdown. Was hard to watch and he isn't captain material but seems a decent human being.

Last edited:

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ep 5 where Sloane stands up and says there are players who don't know the game plan and suggested players need to learn it is a good insight.

Bring a notepad in and then go back and study he says.

AFL guys do a lot of study on game plan/theory. From talking with a few in the league, not just at our club, the amount of theory work done is not far off studying at Uni. A typical day at the club involves half the time doing theory work. Remember they are at the club 7 or so hours a day.

It really is something a lot of supporters probably don't realise and a big difference between AFL and the State Leagues.

Also a reason a lot of guys get churned out. Can't do the study, and not physically/naturally talented enough to get by.

I’d be willing to be 95% of it is nonsense.

Back