Not open for further replies.

ROBBBO

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
i think Marshalls position in the team right now is in real danger. Mitch i think has moved ahead of him.
Yeh its close. Down to form.

Gee Miles Bergman what a find. He just has to be played.

Really hope they stick with Drew. But we were smashed in centre clearances yesterday must do better

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Round 1

Presuming all fit bar Rozee

B: Jonas Clurey Burton
HB: Houston Aliir, Byrne-Jones
C: Amon Drew Duursma
HF: Gray Marshall Butters
F: Fantasia Dixon Ladhams
R: Lycett Boak Wines
INT: BergmanGerogiades Hartlett Motlop

Emg
SPP, Farrell, Rockliff McKenzie

Players I feel comfortable playing at the level
Bonner Jones Woodcock Garner Mayes Leinert Mead

Then I'd love for Williams and Hayes to get some strong form of SANFL footy in after not playing footy for a year as I think they could be worthy this year too if form persists

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Riley Bonner

Last year's minor premiers are looking red-hot and one player expected to contribute more in 2021 is Riley Bonner. Bonner has been used more in the midfield this pre-season and the 24-year-old showed his capabilities against the Crows on Sunday when he picked up 27 disposals in a polished display. Bonner has not always been a lock in Ken Hinkley's starting 22, but that could change in 2021 and expect him to add to his 51 senior games early in the season. - Jonathan Healy

Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Honestly have no idea how this sides gonna get picked.
The way it looks for me
-Drew or Rockliff could go either way both in if SPP isn’t fit
-Three forward spots available between Marshall, Georgiades, Motlop, Bonner and Farrell. I reckon Hinkley will pick Marshall and two of Motlop, Bonner, Farrell.
-Can McKenzie get back in for Clurey. IMO no.
-If Hartlett is fit does he still get in or do you reward Bergman

So many questions to be answered still.

MrChow

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
B: Jonas Clurey Houston
HB: DBJ Aliir Burton
C: Amon Wines Duursma
HF: Fantasia Marshall Butters
F: Ladhams Dixon Gray
R: Lycett Boak Rockliff
INT: Bergman Motlop Georgiades Bonner

Thinking - Hartlett will probs take Bergman’s spot at some point (no hurry)
Georgiades to play the Ebert or the SPP role - If struggling I’d give Drew a crack, or SPP when he is ready after some SANFL. Rozee when fit to take Bonners (or Motlops) spot. McKenzie knocking on the Clurey door.

Also think we have a list that could be rotated a little this year to stay fresh for finals.

Eg - If Georgi really is just a key forward - I also wouldn’t mind resting Lycett, Ladhams, Marshall, Dixon - to keep them fresh for finals, and give Georgiades another 10 or so games.

Boak, Gray, Hartlett etc could also be managed

Of course injuries could mess this whole strategy up.

MrChow

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Also I can't believe I've picked Bonner, but he deserves it. Looks a completely different player up the ground and away from the backline.

Hopefully Bonner's 2021 is the equivalent of Amon's 2019. He's got the talent.

Probs good he got 50 games in, in the backline though, just to teach him how to be accountable back the other way.

I reckon Bergman will follow a similar trajectory, but will be better then Bonner, hopefully he gets some games though.

Seems more like a forward does Mitch, I like Marshall, can he move up the ground, has smarts most players don’t.

id love Mitch and Marshall to be a success but Mitch dominating would stop the, you need to be 194 cm rubbish to be a tall forward

Last edited:
I feel like I’ve had a stroke reading that! Eh?

really, aren’t you tired of experts and commentators saying this person isn’t tall enough for that role.

full forward apparently have to be over 194 cms these days otherwise give up. Mitch at 191 I believe can through that moto in the bin. I guess Jack Darling has to a degree also

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
really, aren’t you tired of experts and commentators saying this person isn’t tall enough for that role.

full forward apparently have to be over 194 cms these days otherwise give up. Mitch at 191 I believe can through that moto in the bin. I guess Jack Darling has to a degree also

He’s got plenty more length taking those marks way out in front with his arms the way he does.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
i think Marshalls position in the team right now is in real danger. Mitch i think has moved ahead of him.

marshall was our best performed key forward when he was on the park, and only got injured in an accident.

He showed vast improvement.

he’s ready.

if Marshall is physically fit, he plays.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

As a port supporter aren’t you painfully aware that you do indeed need a kf that is tall, and playing smalls as a deep forward can cost you dearly?

Georgiades might be 191cms, but his standing reach would likely match most 192-194cm players and his leap is off the charts. He plays very much, and is built much the same as 194cm forwards.

he proves you benefit from a tall forward, not disproves it.

though I do think once he’s established himself and teams and defenders spend time looking at him they will try to take his game away by blocking his run, and such plans would probably be fairly effective. I would always be looking to surround Georgiades with guys like dixon and Marshall because focusing on finding mitchs body when the ball is coming in would be a luxury defenders couldn’t afford cause they would be giving up easy marks to Marshall and Dixon.

As a port supporter aren’t you painfully aware that you do indeed need a kf that is tall, and playing smalls as a deep forward can cost you dearly?

Georgiades might be 191cms, but his standing reach would likely match most 192-194cm players and his leap is off the charts. He plays very much, and is built much the same as 194cm forwards.

he proves you benefit from a tall forward, not disproves it.

though I do think once he’s established himself and teams and defenders spend time looking at him they will try to take his game away by blocking his run, and such plans would probably be fairly effective. I would always be looking to surround Georgiades with guys like dixon and Marshall because focusing on finding mitchs body when the ball is coming in would be a luxury defenders couldn’t afford cause they would be giving up easy marks to Marshall and Dixon.

im not saying selectingdon’t select tall players, I’m just saying don’t write the smaller KPf off

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Probs good he got 50 games in, in the backline though, just to teach him how to be accountable back the other way.

I reckon Bergman will follow a similar trajectory, but will be better then Bonner, hopefully he gets some games though.

You really think Bonner has learned that? Its basically why he got dropped.

Moving Bonner up the ground is a win because it is his natural position, but it is also somewhat of a loss because he was a failure as one of Hinkleys much loved running defenders.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
marshall was our best performed key forward when he was on the park, and only got injured in an accident.

He showed vast improvement.

he’s ready.

if Marshall is physically fit, he plays.

You don't think perhaps Dixon was?

At this point in time, 7 months on from when Marshall had his purple patch, we really don't know who has improved the most out of Mitch and Marshall. They both have shown signs and we might not be able to say until Marshall gets fit and plays some games. I don't think its an either/or question with those two anyway. I think there is room for both.

Georgiades might be 191cms, but his standing reach would likely match most 192-194cm players and his leap is off the charts. He plays very much, and is built much the same as 194cm forwards...though I do think once he’s established himself and teams and defenders spend time looking at him they will try to take his game away by blocking his run, and such plans would probably be fairly effective.

I hate to use a Crows player as an example but if Mitch starts to become successful as a key forward, teams will do exactly what they did to Modra. Block his run to restrict the leads and to prevent him jumping at the ball. Hopefully what we will have that the Crows didn't really have at the time IMO is enough other decent forwards to prevent defenders dropping off to implement this tactic. Also, I think Mitch will be able to play a lot further up the ground something Modra could never really do.

longdonkey

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You really think Bonner has learned that? Its basically why he got dropped.

Moving Bonner up the ground is a win because it is his natural position, but it is also somewhat of a loss because he was a failure as one of Hinkleys much loved running defenders.
I was calling for Bonner to play on the wing when Polec moved on because it was plain to see that he wasn't a defender. Looks like Amon will play more minutes on the ball so its a good result for all.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
You don't think perhaps Dixon was?

At this point in time, 7 months on from when Marshall had his purple patch, we really don't know who has improved the most out of Mitch and Marshall. They both have shown signs and we might not be able to say until Marshall gets fit and plays some games. I don't think its an either/or question with those two anyway. I think there is room for both.

I hate to use a Crows player as an example but if Mitch starts to become successful as a key forward, teams will do exactly what they did to Modra. Block his run to restrict the leads and to prevent him jumping at the ball. Hopefully what we will have that the Crows didn't really have at the time IMO is enough other decent forwards to prevent defenders dropping off to implement this tactic. Also, I think Mitch will be able to play a lot further up the ground something Modra could never really do.

The umpires are quite on the ball when it comes to blocking in the marking contest. Much harder to get away with it these days compared to what it was during the days of Modra.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The umpires are quite on the ball when it comes to blocking in the marking contest. Much harder to get away with it these days compared to what it was during the days of Modra.

True but we have a much more congested forward line than the Crows had in the 90's

Round 1

Presuming all fit bar Rozee

B: Jonas Clurey Burton
HB: Houston Aliir, Byrne-Jones
C: Amon Drew Duursma
HF: Gray Marshall Butters
F: Fantasia Dixon Ladhams
R: Lycett Boak Wines
INT: BergmanGerogiades Hartlett Motlop

Emg
SPP, Farrell, Rockliff McKenzie

Players I feel comfortable playing at the level
Bonner Jones Woodcock Garner Mayes Leinert Mead

Then I'd love for Williams and Hayes to get some strong form of SANFL footy in after not playing footy for a year as I think they could be worthy this year too if form persists

this is the best we have looked in over a decade and a half

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back