Player Watch Pick #16 (2020, match NGA bid) - Lachie Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Looked off AFL pace last week but was a different player this week, far more composed with the football and just looked to understand his role a lot better. I've gone from being unsure about his ability to play AFL this year to being confident he can slot in if needed.
Having watched the reply now, he was better then i gave him credit for live. I think theres a few ahead of him, but like you i don't doubt he will be able to play a role for us if needed or if he can force his way in.

I have not been impressed with him this off-season, but yesterday I saw a few signs that he's improving and finding a role to play within the team. I don't think we can be expected him to get 16-18 touches a game off half back in year 1, but when he plays he needs to be that enforcer across half back sweeping between the defence and midfield. Timed his spoils well yesterday - much better than the inter club trial and our first hit out against West Lakes at Alberton, where he was getting in the way of his team mates who were better positioned to make plays on the ball.

He's not ready for AFL level yet - his disposal needs considerable work. But with a bit of time I think he has the potential to develop into a handy shut down defender.

I mean, he's a 0 gamer looking to break into a top 4 side that has minimal injuries, he really shouldn't be in the round 1 side. Jones is looking pretty ******* good for what we paid for him and the criticism is warranted, but what he is being criticised for is what you should expect in a first year player. I've seen enough to believe he will play 100+ games.

Not in my round 1 side, but will be an absolute gun if he keeps improving and gaining confidence at the rate he is going.

Not in my round 1 side, but will be an absolute gun if he keeps improving and gaining confidence at the rate he is going.

not sure SANFL will raise his bar this year

If he has done the work, got himself cherry ripe, and a spot is there - he should get it, regardless of opposition. This should also be the selection criteria for all new players, not just the fridge with a mullet.

He played nervous the first few games. His disposal will be his strength. Able to pass to a player far up the field. There is a reason why his teammates talk highly of him. He's obviously done freakish things at training. Cut the kid some slack and be patient

not sure SANFL will raise his bar this year

I kind of agree with FishingRick04, as he basically played in the SANFL for the whole season last year, so to build that confidence it might be more beneficial to "throw him in".

A debut in round 1 wouldn't be entirely bad, given it's North Melbourne and then Essendon, it would be a good chance to get some games into him if selection went that way. I would be concerned about the big teams out-smarting him and exposing him at the moment, but if you play him for 1 you have to play him for 3-4 and you expect first year players to make mistakes.

Just not sure if he would be the first Port Adelaide debutant I would pick this year if I was head of selection, I have Bergman slightly ahead of him.

Rightly or wrongly, I would be giving Burgman the nod for Round 1 if it’s between the two. Burgman a first round selection the previous year, has looked mightily impressive all summer and being a Vic lad, you need to massage the Ego sometimes to ensure the go home factor doesn’t pull early and forever.

the one time being a local lad may just backfire, if both on level pegging competing for the same position.

Slightly controversial here on Bergman but his game last week too me was to sit back loose and play the switch.

I didn’t see much else from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Jones is gonna be a mid instead of a defender, there is opportunity in the SANFL midfield for someone to step up.
Yep, I agree with this. I reckon Bergman was more composed with the ball, and takes Hartlett's spot early. I would be happy to see Jones and Mead take on inside-mid duties in the SANFL and get development in that role.

Its a great position to be in, because if Jones does get the nod over Bergman, no one is really going to melt either.

Cmon man, that was three weeks ago. I think it was when youse were saying this place was getting a bit TPFP like and I thought you might've been referring to the name calling and hair pulling going on at that time.

Same as you.

****ed if I know. That was a long time ago man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back