Past #15: Atu Bosenavulagi - drafted #77 '18 ND by CFC - traded to NM as part of Stepho/BBB deal - 8 NM games/1 NM goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Rick made a good point in one of the threads - it’s not a great sign when we’ve recruited him as a small forward, of which we hardly have options, yet within a few weeks we’ve sent him to the back line.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rick made a good point in one of the threads - it’s not a great sign when we’ve recruited him as a small forward, of which we hardly have options, yet within a few weeks we’ve sent him to the back line.

Yes and no.

Its not like we have a plethora of small defenders given we delisted Williams and have slated Hayden as a mid primarily. We have an abundance of players who will need to play though the forward line given the focus will be on positional flexibility for our mids and mid forward (Turner, Zurhaar, Taylor, Thomas, Anderson, Mahoney, Spicer, Lazarro) so not much room there. Maybe its a proactive list balance decision given where we are at.

Last edited:
It could be just as likely that we wanted to add speed to our backline. I like Mahony, Turner, Lazzaro and even Spicer this year as a group of small forwards more than Atley, Hayden and um no one, for our small backs.

Atu is a pretty speculatively chance of making it in any position I think though. He's on the list for his physical attributes rather than his footballing talent. There's a bit to work with but I'm not particularly bullish on him making it.

Just doing my much anticipated player ratings for 2021.

Just quietly and going off what limited vision i've seen. I feel Atu is a shitmen. The term they pedal in the media is journeymen, but I see no need for such pleasantries.

Byron Pickett was a shitman after his first season too.

Give him a chance and in a better functioning side as well - it’s been a shambles down back till now.

Just doing my much anticipated player ratings for 2021.

Just quietly and going off what limited vision i've seen. I feel Atu is a shitmen. The term they pedal in the media is journeymen, but I see no need for such pleasantries.
Key point " limited vision" give him a chance

Oh Wassie I know and unfortunately they won't all make it. I've not convinced with a certain Mr C.Taylor either 😱

That’s an enormous call.

I have the same thoughts re Mr Cameron Zurhaar.

Oh Wassie I know and unfortunately they won't all make it. I've not convinced with a certain Mr C.Taylor either

Taylor looked great at the start of 2020, especially in the St Kilda game. But looked at bit average in the practice matches. Let’s just wait and see how he goes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It depends on what we mean by “not making it”.
One could play over 200 games for North and not really make it. Just look at Atley

Ats gets a pretty rough rap around these parts.

He’s a solid 7/10 footballer.

Zurhaar has 9/10 flashes with long streaks of 2/10 involvement.

Agree on Ats. He's surprisingly 'average' for someone with such speed, but even accounting for that he's still a solid AFL footballer and cops a disproportionate amount of s**t.

I'd say Zurharr has far more amazing moments than he does abhorrent ones, he just really needs to work on raising the floor on his performances and finding a way to get more involved. Last year I saw some bad/lazy habits from him at times, but at least for now I'm labelling those as being a result of the s**t year as a whole. There were a lot of players who stalled/backslid last year, and it's incredibly hard to judge how much of that was due to their own failings/level or due to the circumstances of the year. Wait (pray) and see.

Oh come Micky, I only found out what a "spreader" was used for yesterday, has been a tough 24 hours. But on point, he has got some wonderful attributes and I hope he makes it. I just need some convincing. I said that just last night actually 🤦‍♂️

Isn’t a spreader something that we’ve lacked on field for a whil now?:think:

Definitely a solid enough player, but he's not really improved since his first couple of years, and I guess that's where a lot of the frustration is for me. He's pretty much the same player he was then who still makes mistakes through a lack of composure under pressure that you expect from a 1st-2nd year player.

It's one thing I don't mind from young players, and I expect we'll see a bit of it this year, because the expectation is that they'll develop composure and better decision making as they become more experienced. It's one of the reasons why I'm excited by Kyron and not at all bothered by some of his high profile mistakes so far. But when they're coming from a 200+ game player then I think it's reasonable to expect better and to not accept it, and Shaun has just never improved that part of his game even an inch.

Definitely a solid enough player, but he's not really improved since his first couple of years, and I guess that's where a lot of the frustration is for me. He's pretty much the same player he was then who still makes mistakes through a lack of composure under pressure that you expect from a 1st-2nd year player.

It's one thing I don't mind from young players, and I expect we'll see a bit of it this year, because the expectation is that they'll develop composure and better decision making as they become more experienced. It's one of the reasons why I'm excited by Kyron and not at all bothered by some of his high profile mistakes so far. But when they're coming from a 200+ game player then I think it's reasonable to expect better and to not accept it, and Shaun has just never improved that part of his game even an inch.

That’s because he is a midfielder and played virtually no time in the guts.

On Atu, lacks AFL experience and now backline experience, don’t think we can make too many calls just yet

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Playing in Friday’s practice match against Footscray, Bosenavulagi blanketed AFL-listed Bulldog Mitch Wallis for much of the game.

Arriving at North as a forward, the former Magpie has spent the pre-season learning to play in defence, and VFL coach Leigh Adams believes it’s paying dividends.

“Atu is knocking on the door for a senior call-up, that’s for sure,” Adams told North Media.
“He struggled a bit early between finding that balance of getting the footy and defending, but he’s figuring that out really quickly.

“Last week he played on a couple of really nippy forwards and did a great job, then this week he did a great job locking down a very good player in Wallis.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back