State Focus WA 2021 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Ok I’ve managed to start a new one fresh for 2021.
I feel the next two draft years from WA are a little unknown due to interrupted season last year. It’s going to be interesting to say the east.

From over here in east, the big names for me are:

Matthew Johnson.
Jacob Van Rooyen.
Judd McVie.
Rhett Bazzo.
Richard Bartlett.
Richard Farmer.
Jesse Motlop.
Joshua Browne from East Fremantle is one I imagine you've heard of as well, Jack Williams also of EF is in the AFL Academy

Neil Erasmus is another one to look out for early, impressive in the Colts GF

Any WAFL Colts scratch matches in the pipeline? Must be soon. Clubs must be starting intraclub matches at least.

Futures squads are close to being finalised and games about to start in March. Colts shouldn't be far behind as the West Perth have a couple of pre season matches against East Perth and Subi

Combine was rescheduled to end of the month.

A few names I like (Not including the ones already mentioned)

Corey Warner (Outside Midfielder/East Fremantle)
Jermaine Pickett (Small Forward/South Fremantle) (Freo NGA)
Lawson Humphries (General Defender/Swan Districts) (West Coast NGA)
Max Chipper (Outside Midfielder/Swan Districts)

A few names I like (Not including the ones already mentioned)

Corey Warner (Outside Midfielder/East Fremantle)
Jermaine Pickett (Small Forward/South Fremantle) (Freo NGA)
Lawson Humphries (General Defender/Swan Districts) (West Coast NGA)
Max Chipper (Outside Midfielder/Swan Districts)

NGAs will be relevant come the draft.

When are the 19 and 17’s state squads being named? Surely some games need to be played first but it seems a much later start compared to other years? I realise the National 19 carnival is in Sept/Oct this year so maybe that delay is ok. How about the 17’s? Is there National carnival this year? I heard a rumour that the better 17 yo’s (2004 born) won’t be put in the 17’s but will go straight to the 19’s? Is this because there is no 17’s carnival? Makes it interesting as theoretically the 19’s can include 2002, 03’s and maybe 04’s?

WA Under-19s ‘Talented Player Program’

Claremont: Jacob van Rooyen

East Fremantle: Richard Bartlett, Josh Browne, Jed Hagan, Judd McVee, Jack Williams

East Perth: Jye Amiss, Oscar Armstrong, Kade Dittmar, Ethan Regan

Peel Thunder: Luke Polson

South Fremantle: Mitch Brown, Jesse Motlop, Lachlan Turley

Subiaco: Neil Erasmus, Matt Johnson

Swan Districts: Rhett Bazzo, Max Chipper

West Perth: Lochlan Paton

WA Under-19s ‘Talented Player Program’

Claremont: Jacob van Rooyen

East Fremantle: Richard Bartlett, Josh Browne, Jed Hagan, Judd McVee, Jack Williams

East Perth: Jye Amiss, Oscar Armstrong, Kade Dittmar, Ethan Regan

Peel Thunder: Luke Polson

South Fremantle: Mitch Brown, Jesse Motlop, Lachlan Turley

Subiaco: Neil Erasmus, Matt Johnson

Swan Districts: Rhett Bazzo, Max Chipper

West Perth: Lochlan Paton

It’s a bit strange only to have 19 players.

Kids develop at different rates, to have a skinny squad seems foolish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a bit strange only to have 19 players.

Kids develop at different rates, to have a skinny squad seems foolish.
Kids will be added to this squad over the next month or so after a few practice games and then actual games start. I’m a bit confused as to why they include Hagan as a double bottom age. He is eligible for the 17’s. Not sure if they’ve done that before.

Kids will be added to this squad over the next month or so after a few practice games and then actual games start. I’m a bit confused as to why they include Hagan as a double bottom age. He is eligible for the 17’s. Not sure if they’ve done that before.

Hagan should be a first round pick in his draft year so maybe they want to expose him to recruiters early?

my favourites from WA from what i have seen
Matt Johnson, Jacob Van Rooyen, Josh Browne, Jed Hagan(2022?), Neil Erasmus and i believe Rhett Bazzo and Max Chipper have good talk about them too, i really hope we get to see them this year, theres a few im curious to see how they perform.

He's still only a year shy of getting drafted which has been done plenty. It may look a bigger gap because the competition age is nominally under-19 now, but how many of that list wouldn't qualify under the old under-18 rules?

Definitely held in high regard is young Hagan, not only down at EF but now the WA talent program as well....interesting how certain players just get that extra interest / leg up over others.....obviously a talent, who is getting fast tracked through the development process......be interesting how his 2021 season goes....set himself a high benchmark it seems in terms of performance that's for sure

I caught a little of the reserves game today and most of the Colts game at east freo V WP
My thoughts
Firstly for an old bloke like me I find it hard to watch two teams at once.

Dont stress mate, I am sure many people feel the same way, even the ones who have been doing it a long time. It's tough watching more then a handful of players and even then without a replay you tend to miss a lot of the little things.

Liked reading your analysis. I was watching WP and didn't particularly notice many of the EF players except the ones who put a lot of pressure on us defensively.

I dont think WP will have quite have it that easy when the two sides meet again during the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back