2021 Lions Off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think that Birchall’s 1v1 defence is pretty good.
If his man gets out on the lead it may be a different story.
But on the offensive side of the game, he may prove invaluable this year with his ball use.

In Mondays game birchall handed it straight to the sun's on multiple occasions. He ended up handing off to Rich which significantly improved his disposal efficiency. Hopefully it was just a really bad night for him.

In Mondays game birchall handed it straight to the sun's on multiple occasions. He ended up handing off to Rich which significantly improved his disposal efficiency. Hopefully it was just a really bad night for him.
Yep, particularly in the first half he had a very bad night.

Completely disagree with their assessment that a full strength midfield got smashed. I'd love the see the CBA numbers for first half vs second half as I don't recall Neale and Lyon being in the same CBA in the first half but were in for plenty in the second half. Basically first half was giving Rayner, Bailey, maybe others a chance, second half there was more of Mcluggage and Berry.

He had 91% disposal efficiency, had 23 disposals and only 6 handballs so if he gave away 2 handballs that means his 21 other disposals were perfect including 17 kicks for close to 400 metres. Doesn’t seem like you watched much of the game.

He’s welcome to have that terrible a game anytime he likes.

Last edited:
He had 91% disposal efficiency, had 23 disposals and only 6 handballs so if he gave away 2 handballs that means his 21 other disposals were perfect including 17 kicks for close to 400 metres. Doesn’t seem like you watched much of the game.

Facts and stats have no place in bigfooty

😁
At least two of those were less than one meter passes to Rich from a kick in.

Yeah the one from the goal square on the hop to Starcevich would have been considered an effective disposal because it did get to Starce but It put him under a massive amount of pressure and it lead directly to a GC goal. I guess the stats would consider that to be Starcevich’s error but it indeed was not!
Those Stats don’t watch the game and determine who’s error was the more prominent one only whether the ball wasn’t intercepted.

Last edited:

To quote Mark Twain - there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Disposal efficiency has long been one of the more dubious stats in football.

Personally I thought his disposal was pretty good although there were a couple of very ordinary kicks. The fact that they probably were considered effective is a prime example of why you need to take that stat with a grain of salt.

We’ve predicted every AFL club’s ladder range.
BRISBANE LIONS

They’re an incredibly talented young list that has finished in the top two in consecutive seasons, and then added an All-Australian forward in Joe Daniher who looks as close to his 2017 fitness as we’ve seen him since. So why on earth would the Lions not be in the top four again? Well, it’s really hard to make the top four. There’s a reason teams drop in and out of it every year. And there’s something called regression to the mean – in essence, teams that are lucky aren’t expected to stay lucky. The Lions have been lucky for years with injuries, and the unfortunate Cam Rayner ACL tear is an example of that luck turning. Plus, they won’t get the entire league moving to their home state this year.

Predicted ladder range: 3rd to 7th

No s**t.

I've seen and heard a bit over the past month that expects the Lions to be the perennial team that slides out of the eight this year (not that this piece implies it) as if we were lucky to be there in the first place.

Completely disagree with their assessment that a full strength midfield got smashed. I'd love the see the CBA numbers for first half vs second half as I don't recall Neale and Lyon being in the same CBA in the first half but were in for plenty in the second half. Basically first half was giving Rayner, Bailey, maybe others a chance, second half there was more of Mcluggage and Berry.
I totally agree. The practice games are just that they are are used to try things out. Whether they are new rotations, new game styles or trying players in new position. Each year the game evolves and players need to adapt their own game to improve. Last year we played burst football where we gained a lead and then kept that margin knowing we would be playing in 4 or 5 days time. Their was no point winning by a fantastic margin knowing it was mor important to win the next game.The lions nearly played a perfect year of football except for the last game. The Richmond game I believe was one of the best AFL games of the year. With the new rules meaning fewer rotations and longer kick ins down the middle of the ground and the statue rule the game will again evolve. You need to take risks to evolve especially during practice games how else can you improve.

No sh*t.

I've seen and heard a bit over the past month that expects the Lions to be the perennial team that slides out of the eight this year (not that this piece implies it) as if we were lucky to be there in the first place.
People still can't accept the massive jump we made two years ago wasn't some kind of fluke.

Sure, there's a chance we might drop off. But there's also a chance we get better given the age profile of our team. Arguably we've overperformed the last couple of years but IMO it's because of our younger players performing better than expected at their ages. We've got the most natural improvement left of any of the current top teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I totally agree. The practice games are just that they are are used to try things out. Whether they are new rotations, new game styles or trying players in new position. Each year the game evolves and players need to adapt their own game to improve. Last year we played burst football where we gained a lead and then kept that margin knowing we would be playing in 4 or 5 days time. Their was no point winning by a fantastic margin knowing it was mor important to win the next game.The lions nearly played a perfect year of football except for the last game. The Richmond game I believe was one of the best AFL games of the year. With the new rules meaning fewer rotations and longer kick ins down the middle of the ground and the statue rule the game will again evolve. You need to take risks to evolve especially during practice games how else can you improve.

I agree that the Richmond game was exceptional (we played the best footy of the year in that game IMO) but I never really felt like we played great footy throughout the year. It felt to me like we did just enough most weeks to get the win and, even then, a few weeks we did get a bit lucky. So I can understand the “luck runs out” argument.

But there’s a counter-argument. Making top four once is a fluke, twice can’t be written off as just good luck. We’re also young and successful - that’s a pretty rare combination that, when you look at history, often leads to sustained excellence.

I don’t think we should pretend we’re locks for a grand final based on linear growth (and I don’t see anyone doing that) but the so-called experts also shouldn’t be so blinkered as to assume last year was an aberration.

Even if we dropped back a few places but stayed in the 8 that's not necessarily a failure and could only be seen in the context of the 3 or 4 years that followed and whether they younger guys on our list really step up and improve. You can lose your spot in the 4 but still be improving overall.

We've played 4 finals and won 1 in the last 2 years so the next step forward would be to win 2 finals games.

We did play very well against Richmond in the semi, but i do believe they missed Lync, Lester and Andrews were able to double team Riewoldt and they did miss that option of another tall forward of Lynch's credentials.
With the exception of the first round in MCG, two games in Sydney and one in Cairns we played all games at the GABBA or just down the road at Metricon and players remained in their own beds so no doubt was an advantage.

However, the team is a year older, and as sad as it is for Cam, I think we can cover the role he performed last year, and with Daniher just seems to me we will be a more potent forward line. So much depends on lockdowns also but all things being equal top 4 is not unrealistic, and top 6 almost certain.

No sh*t.

There was a predicted Brownlow medal list from (I think) team captains and Lachie got two votes. I assume that because like he only got it cause he got to stay in Brisbane.

FFS of it's such an advantage then we need to make all teams travel the same. And what a load of codswalllop anyway.

The "been lucky with injuries" narrative is what gets me. Maybe we've been fortunate, but evidence points to our medical/conditioning staff getting results.

I also suspect we don't train as hard as other clubs to avoid injuries. We could train harder which would make us play better if not for injuries.

Plus we've covered injuries like Andrews being out for a few weeks well in the past. Neale is the one we could least afford to lose.

There was a predicted Brownlow medal list from (I think) team captains and Lachie got two votes. I assume that because like he only got it cause he got to stay in Brisbane.
Trust me, the 'Bont' circle jerk following his goal in the practice match is at fever pitch already amongst the media pundits, which is why every one is on him to win the Brownlow. I could handle another Lachie medal and even then the Dogs and Vic faithful will moan and bang on that he should've won it as they do when crying about Lewy Taylor winning the Rising Star award way back when.

The "been lucky with injuries" narrative is what gets me. Maybe we've been fortunate, but evidence points to our medical/conditioning staff getting results.
It will be interesting whether the Selwyn Griffith's departure has any effect on injury list and even then, if a direct correlation could be drawn if our injury list does increase.

People still can't accept the massive jump we made two years ago wasn't some kind of fluke.

Sure, there's a chance we might drop off. But there's also a chance we get better given the age profile of our team. Arguably we've overperformed the last couple of years but IMO it's because of our younger players performing better than expected at their ages. We've got the most natural improvement left of any of the current top teams.

Everyone is slowly coming around though.

This year we're predicted to be in the 3rd to 7th range by the experts after finishing second in the home & away season.

Last year we were predicted to 'do a Melbourne' after finishing second in the home & away season.

Baby steps. :D

Everyone is slowly coming around though.

This year we're predicted to be in the 3rd to 7th range by the experts after finishing second in the home & away season.

Last year we were predicted to 'do a Melbourne' after finishing second in the home & away season.

Baby steps. :D
Maybe if we win the flag this year the experts will consider us a smoky to make the top four in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back