Collingwood’s greatest high marking player

Remove this Banner Ad

^ HCB thanks for posting that fantastic video above. :clapping:

Mountaineers say that it's one thing to get to the top of the mountain, but the job's not properly done until they're safely down again.
Therefore, my vote is Jeremy Howe. He soars and then lands like a cat.
Here's hoping that his knee will allow him to keep displaying his magic for a season or two yet. :)

I don’t need a video to tell me that anyone other than the guy with 34 mark of the week nominations in 187 matches is anything other than the undisputed greatest high flying mark of all time. The guy literally takes one every 6 matches in an era when no one plays one on one. If he played in any other era he’d be sitting on blokes heads literally every week.

FWIW I’m not trying to spoil the fun of discussing some of our better high flyers and my initial comments were pretty tongue in cheek, but if we’re talking the best it’s a pointless discussion because there’s only one.
Tarrant’s best is at least equal to Howe’s best. He might not have taken as many, but the one on Scarlett is as good as any mark I’ve ever seen by a player wearing the black & white.

Last edited:

When clients stop earning, they stop paying and lawyers stop caring!

I seriously had no connection to Murray. Not saying I didn't hear things about what was happening though.;)

As an aside, whilst I haven't practised law for over 20 years I was quite proud of my former firm ejecting its CEO this week. Let that be a lesson to you woke youngsters out there!

Quite tongue in cheek on my behalf I assure anyone else reading this! I assumed that there was chatter amongst those in the profession and that something similar has taken place with Rioli. The outlier of the suspended ones though was Crossley I just feel like he copped the rough end of the pineapple.

I did read that one with passing interest and quite honestly had no idea how to take it. The woke youngsters are the ones that are currently doing the heavy lifting and will perhaps in time become partners* so I’m not sure such a swift decision adequately took into consideration their thoughts and feelings. However from a process POV she clearly went too far with the comments.

*purely based on my assumption of how the pecking order within a law firm works based on discussions with an ex who worked for Baker & McKenzie and a colleague who is now rising through the ranks with a small Melbourne based firm.

Quite tongue in cheek on my behalf I assure anyone else reading this! I assumed that there was chatter amongst those in the profession and that something similar has taken place with Rioli. The outlier of the suspended ones though was Crossley I just feel like he copped the rough end of the pineapple.

I did read that one with passing interest and quite honestly had no idea how to take it. The woke youngsters are the ones that are currently doing the heavy lifting and will perhaps in time become partners* so I’m not sure such a swift decision adequately took into consideration their thoughts and feelings. However from a process POV she clearly went too far with the comments.

*purely based on my assumption of how the pecking order within a law firm works based on discussions with an ex who worked for Baker & McKenzie and a colleague who is now rising through the ranks with a small Melbourne based firm.

Replace “Thoughts and feelings” with “billings and new clients” to get to what’s important!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Scodog, you are clearly the most intelligent poster on the board. What are your thoughts on how often one should change one's cat litter?

ps..
Howe
and yes I'm old

Last edited:
Daicos took an incredible mark against Fitzroy in 1990 and another one the week he played in the reserves at Victoria park in the mid 80s.
I remember it, it was on the ‘Road to Victory’ VHS.
He took another one about ten years earlier at VFL park over a Geelong player - fantastic grab, and rarely seen footage of it.

He took another one about ten years earlier at VFL park over a Geelong player - fantastic grab, and rarely seen footage of it.

Yeah, 1980 preliminary final i think, at a crucial stage of the game. Very similar to Royce Hart in 1967, the Hart one has been replayed a million times, but not the Daicos one. I'll let you guess why...

I presume you mean the one about 16.50 in: The Road to Victory - Collingwood 1990 Season Highlights - YouTube
Yeah, 1980 preliminary final i think, at a crucial stage of the game. Very similar to Royce Hart in 1967, the Hart one has been replayed a million times, but not the Daicos one. I'll let you guess why...
This one (5.50 mark - it was c. 17 minutes into the last quarter - the kick that followed the mark was well below Daicos' usual standard!): Collingwood Vs Geelong 1980 Preliminary final. - YouTube

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I presume you mean the one about 16.50 in: The Road to Victory - Collingwood 1990 Season Highlights - YouTube

This one (5.50 mark - it was c. 17 minutes into the last quarter - the kick that followed the mark was well below Daicos' usual standard!): Collingwood Vs Geelong 1980 Preliminary final. - YouTube

Well done Daicos35. First time I've seen those since the day.
Daicos for some reason quite often missed set shots from 30 metres out, yet could do it effortlessly from the boundary or 60 metres out.
Edit- just realised the Geelong one was 41 years ago. Bloody hell 😛

Howe is now maybe the best mark of the last few decades from any afl team.

When I was a kid it was Billy Picken.
He probably is, although I still don’t think he’s taken one with a degree of difficulty greater than Banks’ mark or even Tarrant’s against Melbourne.

He probably is, although I still don’t think he’s taken one with a degree of difficulty greater than Banks’ mark or even Tarrant’s against Melbourne.
Different kind of marks requiring different strengths and skills. I have a Dennis Bank's badge. He was probably the player I most respected during his career. He never really succeeded as a forward because he was that awkward in between KP size. Like Tarrant, and Howe, he finished his career as a defender. Banks personified courage, had some deft moves, was strong overhead and played in a premiership team. Howe is a far more prolific spectacular marker of the ball, but Banks to me is quintessentially Collingwood.

He was robbed of a screamer highlight here:

He was another player who struggled with injury, so seeing him play in the 1990 GF team was a treat.

Last edited:
As an individual mark, Tarrant's against Melbourne was the best. He sprinted to get there and then launched from so many back in the pack. Just an absolute ripper that I don't think anyone else would have taken.

Different kind of marks requiring different strengths and skills. I have a Dennis Bank's badge. He was probably the player I most respected during his career. He never really succeeded as a forward because he was that awkward in between KP size. Like Tarrant, and Howe, he finished his career as a defender. Banks personified courage, had some deft moves, was strong overhead and played in a premiership team. Howe is a far more prolific spectacular marker of the ball, but Banks to me is quintessentially Collingwood.

He was robbed of a screamer highlight here:

He was another player who struggled with injury, so seeing him play in the 1990 GF team was a treat.

Great player, two timeless highlights from his career are his mark of the year and his K.O. of Rhys-Jones.
Howe also had a mark disallowed a couple of years ago, for doing exactly what Banksy did, using his foot to kick the player out. Both bullshit decisions, as in both cases it was one action.
I too have a Banks badge, it’s my second favourite after my Millane badge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back