Tasmanian AFL team

Remove this Banner Ad

I just hope Gil is not still stalling and something concrete comes out of the current discussions . That is my worry.
The AFL is not sincere and they know the answer now to “is tassie going to get a side”

Yep, complete Whats.In.It.For.Me situation. How does it help Gil? Does it help the big Vic clubs in any way?

It is not a discussion or decision based in what is best for the game ... or what is best for Tassie.

Look back at how the Eagles, Crows and Power got into the AFL - basically saved a failed product from going bust. Was the only way they were going to "include" us in their reindeer games.

I'll cross my fingers but fully expect a new "plan" to include more North games until they are the pseudo Tasmanian team. North just hired someone in Tasmania to increase the "local connections".

Thought I would start a thread here to discuss the current bid for a afl license. Without the trolls who have overtaken the main board thread

Not a bad idea. You’ll at least have a better moderator here I’d imagine unlike on the footy industry board that would destroy any good conversations. It’s why he’s hating a thread on the MB.

The thing that stands out to me with a tassie bid getting up is we should see better junior development, more involvement from a community level, better professionalism at a local level, basically a better structure.

Not a bad idea. You’ll at least have a better moderator here I’d imagine unlike on the footy industry board that would destroy any good conversations. It’s why he’s hating a thread on the MB.

The thing that stands out to me with a tassie bid getting up is we should see better junior development, more involvement from a community level, better professionalism at a local level, basically a better structure.

We won’t see any of those things. The AFL will eat up the local comps, there will be less volunteers and less players. Yes maybe more kids will play until the age of realising they aren’t good enough and then will just watch AFL games rather then involve themselves with a local community club. This happens already but would be worse with an AFL team

Let me guess wookie?

We won’t see any of those things. The AFL will eat up the local comps, there will be less volunteers and less players. Yes maybe more kids will play until the age of realising they aren’t good enough and then will just watch AFL games rather then involve themselves with a local community club. This happens already but would be worse with an AFL team

Depends how the restructuring is embraced. Change has to happen imo because atm footy is dieing a very slow death down there.

It will never ever go back to what it used to be just like every league throughout Australia. Embrace the change and make it work for you.

What's the point of an AFL team?
The base underneath is almost completely dead.
Too late now. And the rest of the presidents don't want 19 teams in it. Not enough talent anymore.

Too late now. And the rest of the presidents don't want 19 teams in it. Not enough talent anymore.
Honestly think it’s so the Tas Media can feel relevant and bigwigs can sprout around.

I think Eddie is on the right track with his rant about what needs to be done to get a Tassie team by 2028 except for mostly what he said.

No matter where or who or what gets the money for the backing the whole state needs to get behind them (and the relocated Taswegians also), who really cares where they are located as long as they make you feel like you are a part of it.

Wouldn't it be fantastic to see a Tasmanian team running around in their own state instead of a team that's done nothing since playing down there and another team use it to prop themselves up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

19 teams is a waste, relocate North or the Saints.

How about the Eagles relocate?

It would be better if the $FL stopped giving out more money than is needed. All teams should be getting a base rate then if you can’t get the rest then relocate or merge.

I’ve said plenty of times before I wouldn’t mind if Richmond went to Tassie as long as we get a few home games in Melbourne.

I have had enough of Hawthorn, North and the Saints before them dumping the low drawing games in Launceston and now Hobart.
Good for the Freo/GWS/GC/Power supporters. (Do you know any?)
The current "sellout" of Hawthorn v Essendon shows what support is there, when it is a contest and two supported teams.
There is no point signing up for membership etc, as the ground will always have space.

More then enough talent, look at the state leagues, I reckon a VFL state team would be more than competive in the AFL.

Tassie won't get a team, as Gil doesn't want one simple as that. The AFL hq is to Melbourne centric, to look beyond. Tassie already had 2 great stadiums to play, if you put a team down there, more people will move there and increase local talent. After covid lockdowns plenty of Vic's would move down it's a win win

More then enough talent, look at the state leagues, I reckon a VFL state team would be more than competive in the AFL.

Tassie won't get a team, as Gil doesn't want one simple as that. The AFL hq is to Melbourne centric, to look beyond. Tassie already had 2 great stadiums to play, if you put a team down there, more people will move there and increase local talent. After covid lockdowns plenty of Vic's would move down it's a win win

Gil's from Adelaide.

This Melbourne vitriol is getting a bit monotonous. There would be as many people in Victoria who want the AFL to have a club in Tasmania as there is Tasmanian's living in that state but that doesn't fit those bitching West Aussies or South Aussies and whoever else wants their two cents worth of wasting oxygen.

Victorians or people from Melbourne did not start the AFL or merge Fitzroy or bring in non Melbourne clubs, we're just the ones who have been taken for a ride like the rest of you so ease up on the crap chat.

I have said like so many others that there should be a Tassie side.
Stop fighting at us and direct your anger to the Money Football League.

Gil's from Adelaide.

This Melbourne vitriol is getting a bit monotonous. There would be as many people in Victoria who want the AFL to have a club in Tasmania as there is Tasmanian's living in that state but that doesn't fit those bitching West Aussies or South Aussies and whoever else wants their two cents worth of wasting oxygen.

Victorians or people from Melbourne did not start the AFL or merge Fitzroy or bring in non Melbourne clubs, we're just the ones who have been taken for a ride like the rest of you so ease up on the crap chat.

I have said like so many others that there should be a Tassie side.
Stop fighting at us and direct your anger to the Money Football League.

The last Erald Hun Questionnaire I remember showed near 80% of respondents were in favour of a Tasmanian AFL team.

That certainly impressed the AFL!

Those who waffle about protesting are just grinding their organ. Waste of time.

If anything, It'll be the business case, media exposure, political pressure & Government reassurances/contract guarantees.

As if people ever mattered to the Boys club.:huh:

The last Erald Hun Questionnaire I remember showed near 80% of respondents were in favour of a Tasmanian AFL team.

If anything, It'll be the business case, media exposure, political pressure & Government reassurances/contract guarantees.

The only thing that matters to the boys club is them making money. They’ll look after each other and the perfect example is one of them was fired for sexual misconduct and low and behold they land a sweat deal at one of the cash strapped clubs. They’re there for one thing only and that’s to keep each other in the money train. And yes it’s a Melbourne boys club. Go have a look where they live and where they attended their private schooling at. Join the dots and it’s easy to see.

Back when Richmond were ****ed, if we hadn't got the money we needed i would of loved my club to go to Tassie.

Alas now Tassie don't deserve a second hand club, they deserve their own side that represents all of their Island.

I honestly never thought I would see the day that we'd get an AFL license, after all the failed bids and all, plus the hoops we had to jump through to get a foot in the door I was expecting the presidents to say no as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back