Prediction 2021 Best 22

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
CFC phone app have updated their player height profiles....

Some big units on the list, heights in cm:

• Murphy 192
  • T Brown 192
  • Reef 193
  • Ruscoe 193
  • Poulter 193
  • Wilson 194
  • McMahon 197
  • Tohill 200

Tohill and Bianco (188) grew considerably in the off-season.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tough call to pick a best 22 for R1. Every year prior to 2020 I’d normally have seen a couple of senior preseason games, an intractable match, and a VFL practice game or 2, and I’d be forming opinions about the squad. Haven’t seen anything this year other than televised games, didn’t see much of last years recruits. I think, as I’ve said elsewhere, there’ll be 15-16 who pick themselves, and a further 12-15 trying to grab those last 6-7 spots. Based on the typical 7-8-7 team structure:

DEF: Moore, Roughy, Maynard, IQ, Crisp, Howe, ??
MID: Grundy, Pendles, Adams, Sidey (if fit), Daicos, Sier, ??, ??
FWD: Cox, JDG, Elliott, Checkers, ??, ??, ??

Players in line for the vacancies:
DEF: Noble, Madgen, T Brown. Chugg, Briskey, Mayne, Murphy.
MID: T Brown, C Brown, Macrae, Mayne, Murphy.
FWD: Thomas, WHE, Ruscoe, Henry, McMahon, Cameron, C Brown.

DEF: Against a Doggies side likely to have Bruce, Naughton, and a resting English/Martin in F50 I’d go with Madgen or Murphy. Briskey may surprise if he gets added to the list this week.

MID: Can’t see Noble and at least 1 of the Brown brothers missing. T Brown ahead at this stage. C Brown or Macrae in the mix if Sidey doesn’t get up.

FWD: Thomas and WHE near certainties. The 3rd spot really hard to predict. Do we go smaller and give Henry or Ruscoe a run, or do we go taller with Cameron? Don’t know, time will tell.

THE SALT

Flagpies 2021
Aug 5, 2018
Leopold 3224
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tough call to pick a best 22 for R1. Every year prior to 2020 I’d normally have seen a couple of senior preseason games, an intractable match, and a VFL practice game or 2, and I’d be forming opinions about the squad. Haven’t seen anything this year other than televised games, didn’t see much of last years recruits. I think, as I’ve said elsewhere, there’ll be 15-16 who pick themselves, and a further 12-15 trying to grab those last 6-7 spots. Based on the typical 7-8-7 team structure:

DEF: Moore, Roughy, Maynard, IQ, Crisp, Howe, ??
MID: Grundy, Pendles, Adams, Sidey (if fit), Daicos, Sier, ??, ??
FWD: Cox, JDG, Elliott, Checkers, ??, ??, ??

Players in line for the vacancies:
DEF: Noble, Madgen, T Brown. Chugg, Briskey, Mayne, Murphy.
MID: T Brown, C Brown, Macrae, Mayne, Murphy.
FWD: Thomas, WHE, Ruscoe, Henry, McMahon, Cameron, C Brown.

DEF: Against a Doggies side likely to have Bruce, Naughton, and a resting English/Martin in F50 I’d go with Madgen or Murphy. Briskey may surprise if he gets added to the list this week.

MID: Can’t see Noble and at least 1 of the Brown brothers missing. T Brown ahead at this stage. C Brown or Macrae in the mix if Sidey doesn’t get up.

FWD: Thomas and WHE near certainties. The 3rd spot really hard to predict. Do we go smaller and give Henry or Ruscoe a run, or do we go taller with Cameron? Don’t know, time will tell.

I missed the round 1 part....

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I missed the round 1 part....

Don’t think it was specific to R1, but I think we’ll see quite a bit of change across 2021.

Mike Olotripo

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

• Murphy 192
  • T Brown 192
  • Reef 193
  • Ruscoe 193
  • Poulter 193
  • Wilson 194
  • McMahon 197
  • Tohill 200

Pretty sure Bianco's height is a typo. He is 178cm

• Murphy 192
  • T Brown 192
  • Reef 193
  • Ruscoe 193
  • Poulter 193
  • Wilson 194
  • McMahon 197
  • Tohill 200

I think you will find any changes in height relate to wrong information being updated rather than real growth in height.

Most boys have reached full height by 16 and virtually everyone by 18. Occasionally a late bloomer might pick up 2-3 cms after 18

Tohill is 21. He won’t have grown at all in the last 12 months. Looking at an article from April 2020 he described himself at 199.5 then. Looking at his current bio on the club website it has him at 191. All that means is sloppy paperwork when he 1st arrived at the club.

Just looked at the club interview he did 3 days after arriving in Australia (13/11/2018) and he describes himself as a tall lad 198 or 199 cm.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think you will find any changes in height relate to wrong information being updated rather than real growth in height.

Most boys have reached full height by 16 and virtually everyone by 18. Occasionally a late bloomer might pick up 2-3 cms after 18

Tohill is 21. He won’t have grown at all in the last 12 months. Looking at an article from April 2020 he described himself at 199.5 then. Looking at his current bio on the club website it has him at 191. All that means is sloppy paperwork when he 1st arrived at the club.

Just looked at the club interview he did 3 days after arriving in Australia (13/11/2018) and he describes himself as a tall lad 198 or 199 cm.
Guess that means you stopped growing before color TV?

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Best 22 for round one probably won’t see any new players. But the return of Sier Sidebottom and Howe will be a good start. I’d also like T Brown to continue to be trialled.

By seasons end I’d be expecting Thomas Mayne and Roughead would be pushed out of the 22. Impossible to anticipate who might come in although Keane has to be a candidate for full back. I actually rate WHE unlike others, and expect him to return to form.

The other question mark is key forward. I have my doubts that Cameron and Cox will work. I would like to see Kelly get plenty of opportunities during the year. Even better if they try Moore at the pointy end but I have my doubts that they will do that.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Howe / Roughead / Maynard
Quaynor / Keane (or Kelly) / Crisp
Sidebottom / Pendles / Daicos
Elliot / Mihocek / Macrae
WHE / Moore / Henry
Grundy / Adams / DeGoey

Sier, T Brown, Greenwood, Noble

WHE and Greenwood’s spots are up for grabs should any of the other draftees be ready to grab it.

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hey guys - sorry for the intrusion.
Just wondering where you see De Goey being most valuable? Too me he looked great through the midfield in the AAMI series and can go missing as a forward (as can anyone really - it’s the easiest spot to be locked down in).

I can’t understand why he wouldn’t spend more time on ball for you and is listed by many as a HFF? Surely his burst around stoppage makes him super valuable through your midfield - especially when you’ve got so many other small/medium forward types?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just wondering where you see De Goey being most valuable? Too me he looked great through the midfield in the AAMI series and can go missing as a forward (as can anyone really - it’s the easiest spot to be locked down in).

I can’t understand why he wouldn’t spend more time on ball for you and is listed by many as a HFF? Surely his burst around stoppage makes him super valuable through your midfield - especially when you’ve got so many other small/medium forward types?

We need him cloned. Without him forward we lack any capacity to kick a winning score with whe, Thomas, brown, cameron. But atm until sier, t brown, macrae develop, we lack midfielders.. Hence why we will likely slide this year.
Very similar to freo atm, both great defence, decent mid, poor forward lines

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

In the middle he is one of our best players and it does my head in when we let him rot up forward when we are struggling

On top of that he is more of a natural mid to a natural forward

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

I assume this is a SC question 😁

I think we all want him to play midfield because he would tear it up, but our forward line is a bit s**t without him in it. He'll start the season in the midfield I think, but if we're struggling to score goals, he could find himself deep forward very quickly.

If you had a crystal ball and knew he was going to stay in midfield, you'd lock him in. His average will shoot up to the elite territory. As a forward his score will likely yoyo, as you would expect.

riddick78

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
We need him cloned.

Very true. :D

Without him forward we lack any capacity to kick a winning score with whe, Thomas, brown, cameron. But atm until sier, t brown, macrae develop, we lack midfielders.. Hence why we will likely slide this year.
Very similar to freo atm, both great defence, decent mid, poor forward lines

We can't keep relying on DeGoey to kick goals, these players you mentioned need to step up and the coaching staff need to be tougher, if they don't step up go back to the VFL and sort your sh!t out. I would rather give a kid a run around than have a player that doesn't pull their weight, it's been hapopening far too long and they keep getting rewarded with games without fear of being dropped.

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Very true. :D

We can't keep relying on DeGoey to kick goals, these players you mentioned need to step up and the coaching staff need to be tougher, if they don't step up go back to the VFL and sort your sh!t out. I would rather give a kid a run around than have a player that doesn't pull their weight, it's been hapopening far too long and they keep getting rewarded with games without fear of being dropped.

I really agree with this - if the club and the player think that a midfield role for Jordy is where he will perform the best, we can't keep sacrificing that because our forward line can't score. If the likes of WHE or JT aren't playing to the standard we have to look at alternatives like Ruscoe, Reef or Mccreery, rather than just simply plant Jordy back at FF. To me that stunts his development as a mid and like you said doesn't put any fear into the under performing types that we've carried for a while now.

Yes we might struggle to kick goals with youngsters in the forward line, but we'll better of for the future. Giving the likes of Ruscoe, McMahon, Mccreery exposure at AFL level and letting Jordy gain experience as a mid will be a bigger benefit for us down the track, more so than simply swinging Jordy forward because other senior players aren't performing.

Mike Olotripo

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
JDG has to play the majority of the season in the middle. He's in his 7th season and needs to stamp himself as a gun and take his game to another level.

This will happen if WHE, Thomas and Elliott combine for 70-75 goals between then. I'm confident this can happen.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
JDG has to play the majority of the season in the middle. He's in his 7th season and needs to stamp himself as a gun and take his game to another level.

This will happen if WHE, Thomas and Elliott combine for 70-75 goals between then. I'm confident this can happen.

Not sure he's got the tank to play the majority through the midfield. Happy if he can progress to 40-50% midfield this year given the work he's apparently done this preseason.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bucks said in his presser we are going to be more attacking this year. Well it would be hard to be any less attacking than last year.

But we should move Howe to a wing get him intercepting higher up the field so he can be more aggressive when he gets the ball and move Moore to CHF

LarryKinn

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers LA Chargers
Not sure he's got the tank to play the majority through the midfield. Happy if he can progress to 40-50% midfield this year given the work he's apparently done this preseason.
multiple senior players and coaches have stated that JDG will predominately play midfield
reckon 50/50 split this season
I think JDG, Daicos, Elliot and to a lesser extent Sidey will rotate thru the fwd pocket and midfield especially with rotations capped.
I think the club envisions Daicos replacing Treloar, Henry replaces Stevo and as of Rd 1 Noble and Tyler B replace Mayne and Sidebottom on the wing
There's a chance Bianco and Macrae force out Callum B and JT by the end of the season, bit of a 2010 youth movement vibe
Last year we saw Daicos and IQ break out, I have a feeling Tyler is about to establish himself
reckon we're a 7-10 team, barring injuries we should make finals while developing some youth

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Greenwood should be depth this year and nothing more. He preseason form has been atrocious.

When you turf Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips in an off season a guy like Greenwood is going to get games.

When you turf Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips in an off season a guy like Greenwood is going to get games.
I hope not. He was a liability against the Tigers and Geelong.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I hope not. He was a liability against the Tigers and Geelong.

Greenwood's slowing down but we don't have a lot coming through underneath. I'm really concerned about our depth this season. I think we'll get caught out.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Greenwood's slowing down but we don't have a lot coming through underneath. I'm really concerned about our depth this season. I think we'll get caught out.

I would have retained Wills but honestly most of last years depth was useful as **** on a bull.

Greenwood probably has been passed by already (Sier and T Brown... I'm looking at you two) ... so technically now hes a depth player. Over time Thomas and Mayne could join him in the VFL.

Back