Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If that happens (no fee, reserves games and nothing to do with the SANFL) I will among the first to say my concerns about Olsen were wrong.

Getting reserves (AFLW) games at our new home venue is 10x more important than being within a 20 min walk from A.O to the aquatic centre.
Absolutely.

They haven't started building yet because they know they need us there. We need to use that to our advantage

Pretty easily really.

We take control of the lease, we say we don't want to pay that ridiculous fee to the SANFL, and we get home SANFL games.

Basically they're getting an administrative base, should have nothing to do with each other.

That won't happen, why would the SANFL give up the trump card and put themselves at our mercy?

I love the optimism, but I just don't see it happening.

That won't happen, why would the SANFL give up the trump card and put themselves at our mercy?

Because they need us, that's why.

The vast majority of said development will come from us. We play nice enough, but in the end we dictate terms.

If we and Port decided to leave the SANFL it would have dire consequences.

They probably won't, I'd want us to at an absolute minimum, join them 50/50 and that's generous. Not that I think from their point of view they should have to give it up, but I'd spend more time looking elsewhere if they didn't.

While right now it's being reported as we'd be sharing it with them for umpire training or whatever, their actual redevelopment plan turns Thebarton into
much more than that with:
  • Oval and broadcast works to provide an AFLW compliant venue and establish the stadium as the second home of football to Adelaide Oval in SA
I don't know what else that means as far as "second home of football", but if we are paying for the construction/maintenance, they better not be charging us for use, dodgy stadium deals and catering profits from our use of what to us should be our home ground.

Because they need us, that's why.

The vast majority of said development will come from us. We play nice enough, but in the end we dictate terms.

If we and Port decided to leave the SANFL it would have dire consequences.

The reality is that the SANFL are financially entrenched in Adelaide Oval and it's their main source of revenue so neither us nor Port can ever completely break away from them.

They don't need us at Thebarton and were originally going to go ahead without us so if we end up going there I'm 99% sure that it'll be on their terms

The reality is that the SANFL are financially entrenched in Adelaide Oval and it's their main source of revenue so neither us nor Port can ever completely break away from them.

They don't need us at Thebarton and were originally going to go ahead without us so if we end up going there I'm 99% sure that it'll be on their terms
Have they actually put money into the oval?
Why do they even need to have part of it?They don’t own our licenses so why isn’t it run by Saca crows and port?

Why do they even need to have part of it?They don’t own our licenses so why isn’t it run by Saca crows and port?
Because Olsen is a great negotiator.

Got to remember the SANFL owned both Crows and Power licences when we moved to AO.

Olsen was in charge of the SANFL.

No point developing AO if the SANFL won't let their AFL clubs play there.

Olsen negotiated that. Stood up to Vlad and used that currency to secure the SANFL is tied to AO in perpetuity.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

So why haven't they started the development ??

Got to remember the SANFL owned both Crows and Power licences when we moved to AO.

Olsen negotiated that. Stood up to Vlad and used that currency to secure the SANFL is tied to AO in perpetuity.

I'm pretty sure the Labour party wrote it into the AO/SMA legislation, was (and is) ridiculous. Taxpayers pumping in $500 million should have been a Trust to manage the ground not two parasitic organisations (SACA & SANFL).

Yeah but what about now? They aren’t needed there surely?

I'm pretty sure the Labour party wrote it into the AO/SMA legislation, was (and is) ridiculous. Taxpayers pumping in $500 million should have been a Trust to manage the ground not two parasitic organisations (SACA & SANFL).
Imagine working for the SACA. Easiest job ever. No results needed.
I knew a bloke who came and worked at my place. Had spent the previous 20+ years working in high performance for SACA. He was the most incompetent person I've worked with. Utterly clueless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's because Max Basheer was a wily old prick and had the Crows and Port bound legally to play 11 games at Footy Park via the sub-license agreement.

In order for Adelaide Oval to happen the SANFL held all the cards and had to agree to it.

That's why it took so long for an agreement to be made and in the end the agreement was that the SANFL has control over the stadium and receives the profits during football season and the SACA then has the same rights during cricket season.

The SMA is essentially just a joint organisation that oversees the operation of the stadium on behalf of the SACA and SANFL.

It's because Max Basheer was a wily old prick and had the Crows and Port bound legally to play 11 games at Footy Park via the sub-license agreement.

In order for Adelaide Oval to happen the SANFL held all the cards and had to agree to it.

That's why it took so long for an agreement to be made and in the end the agreement was that the SANFL has control over the stadium and receives the profits during football season and the SACA then has the same rights during cricket season.

The SMA is essentially just a joint organisation that oversees the operation of the stadium on behalf of the SACA and SANFL.
Yeah but how long is this agreement for? Given we don’t need the SANFL anymore nor port when can we dispatch them.

Yeah but how long is this agreement for? Given we don’t need the SANFL anymore nor port when can we dispatch them.

In terms of the stadium it's now under control of the SMA so the SANFL more than likely will be part.of that ground forever.

I also seem to recall somewhere there being a 30 year agreement signed by the AFL/SA Gov/SANFL guaranteeing AFL football at the venue, but I could be wrong on the length.

The reality is that the SANFL financially has its hooks in Adelaide Oval just as much as they did at Footy Park.

In terms of the stadium it's now under control of the SMA so the SANFL more than likely will be part.of that ground forever.

I also seem to recall somewhere there being a 30 year agreement signed by the AFL/SA Gov/SANFL guaranteeing AFL football at the venue, but I could be wrong on the length.

The reality is that the SANFL financially has its hooks in Adelaide Oval just as much as they did at Footy Park.
My dealings with the SMA have been nothing short of disgraceful.
The sooner they go the better.

Yes, don't hold your breath. SANFL previously owned the licences of both AFL teams and weren't moving to AO without being compensated accordingly.

Adelaide Oval Core Area Lease
Pursuant to section 4 of the AORM Act, the Core Area (see Figure 3) has been leased by the Council to the Minister responsible for the AORM Act for a period of 80 years, expiring 16 November 2091.

As a club we really need to look at this as a long term investment. We want a place that has good access by public transport, is visible and located in an area that might grow in importance.

For me the best place would be the brewery on Port road.

I know that the cost of purchasing initially and then building an oval and facilities will be huge as an initial outlay, but there are so many positives long term.

We get a central location. It has tram access. It is very visible (the building and offices etc.. face the road and have giant Crows logos on it, while the oval is behind out of public view. We can continue the SANFL chimney tradition. We can continue the christmas lights display (nice bit of public relations). There is parking across at the ent centre for home games. It makes the area, with the ent centre and Coopers stadium a bit of a sport/entertainment hub with Adelaide United and the 36ers all playing within the same area (perhaps some government funding could be found to make the facilities multi-use for both United players and the 36ers (pool, gym etc)?

Longer term, it would be a magnificent location.

As a club we really need to look at this as a long term investment. We want a place that has good access by public transport, is visible and located in an area that might grow in importance.

For me the best place would be the brewery on Port road.

I know that the cost of purchasing initially and then building an oval and facilities will be huge as an initial outlay, but there are so many positives long term.

We get a central location. It has tram access. It is very visible (the building and offices etc.. face the road and have giant Crows logos on it, while the oval is behind out of public view. We can continue the SANFL chimney tradition. We can continue the christmas lights display (nice bit of public relations). There is parking across at the ent centre for home games. It makes the area, with the ent centre and Coopers stadium a bit of a sport/entertainment hub with Adelaide United and the 36ers all playing within the same area (perhaps some government funding could be found to make the facilities multi-use for both United players and the 36ers (pool, gym etc)?

Longer term, it would be a magnificent location.
I think you'll find both the coke site and the brewery site have already been earmarked.

Back