Cricket things that annoy you

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure where or how that interacts with what I'm saying.

The players appeal to the umpire, and the umpire makes their decision. It should not be for the players to determine whether an umpire's decision is correct or not in the heat of the moment.

The review system actively contravenes the above, in the interests of getting decisions correct; either you want all decisions to be correct and increased use of referrals is a good outcome, or you think that the tradition of the sport and the role of the umpire needs to be respected. The current status quo serves neither purpose, as an incorrect decision when no reviews are left is allowed to stand and the existence of reviews serves as a nigh constant undermining of an umpire's judgement.

I agree with you that the players should have nothing to do with it.
Bowler runs into bowl, huge appeal for LBW and on field umpire turns it down. Bowler starts his walk back to the mark. Off field umpire informs on field umpire he is going to take a closer look at that decision. Onfield umpire halts play while third umpire looks at it, third umpire makes now the total decision without any umpires call and delivers verdict for onfield umpire to give.
In the case of the Onfield umpire giving the batsman out then as the batsman makes his way off the ground there is ample time for the third umpire to check the decision and either over rule him or not.
Like you DRS is there to get every decision right, run out of challenges and we then get some wrong which is just stupid.
The third umpire will not need to review all appeals, just with a slow motion replay of the delivery the third umpire can make a call without hot spot and snicko being needed.

I agree with you that the players should have nothing to do with it.
Bowler runs into bowl, huge appeal for LBW and on field umpire turns it down. Bowler starts his walk back to the mark. Off field umpire informs on field umpire he is going to take a closer look at that decision. Onfield umpire halts play while third umpire looks at it, third umpire makes now the total decision without any umpires call and delivers verdict for onfield umpire to give.
In the case of the Onfield umpire giving the batsman out then as the batsman makes his way off the ground there is ample time for the third umpire to check the decision and either over rule him or not.
Like you DRS is there to get every decision right, run out of challenges and we then get some wrong which is just stupid.
The third umpire will not need to review all appeals, just with a slow motion replay of the delivery the third umpire can make a call without hot spot and snicko being needed.
It was tried in the domestic one-day cup and pulled mid-season because it was such a shambles.

With DRS, I reckon there just needs to be some sort of penalty for an incorrect review to get rid of the reviews in hope, particularly from the batting side. It was only ever supposed to be used to get rid of the "howler", in which case you should be pretty bloody confident in reviewing regardless of any penalty.

Can't stand watching the batsman walk down to his partner - "what do you reckon mate, any chance it was missing?". Smashed it into your pads and given LBW, sure review that. Thinking maybe it might be possibly just sliding down leg, nah mate, * off you're out.

The worst is when ball tracking says it's out but slightly less than half the ball is hitting the stumps, so they don't even lose the review because umpire's call. GTFO with that s**t.

With DRS, I reckon there just needs to be some sort of penalty for an incorrect review to get rid of the reviews in hope, particularly from the batting side. It was only ever supposed to be used to get rid of the "howler", in which case you should be pretty bloody confident in reviewing regardless of any penalty.

Can't stand watching the batsman walk down to his partner - "what do you reckon mate, any chance it was missing?". Smashed it into your pads and given LBW, sure review that. Thinking maybe it might be possibly just sliding down leg, nah mate, fu** off you're out.

The worst is when ball tracking says it's out but slightly less than half the ball is hitting the stumps, so they don't even lose the review because umpire's call. GTFO with that sh*t.

Totally agree

As opposed to the shambles we have now.
It's not a shambles now.

It's not perfect but a lot of the criticism comes from the uninformed. Including commentators, who don't know rules about how the umpire's call works.

I think teams need to have a better system for when to review. If you have to ask your teammates if you think it's worth reviewing, it's not worth reviewing.

Last edited:
Was just reminded of this one while watching the replay of QLD vs WA, as Labuschagne was dismissed.

Batsmen when they're walking off the ground spitting out their gum and hitting it away. Put that sh*t in a bin you filthy fu**.
I know batsmen are never out but I'd argue Smith and Marnus in particular at the moment probably need to pull their head in a bit at the moment.

Was just reminded of this one while watching the replay of QLD vs WA, as Labuschagne was dismissed.

Batsmen when they're walking off the ground spitting out their gum and hitting it away. Put that sh*t in a bin you filthy fu**.

Yes, I've often thought about this as well. Imagine trying to effect a run out with a lump of masticated gum on the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't stand watching the batsman walk down to his partner - "what do you reckon mate, any chance it was missing?". Smashed it into your pads and given LBW, sure review that. Thinking maybe it might be possibly just sliding down leg, nah mate, fu** off you're out.

The worst is when ball tracking says it's out but slightly less than half the ball is hitting the stumps, so they don't even lose the review because umpire's call. GTFO with that sh*t.
Tbf it was Warney (of all people) who had a good idea in regards to that. Just give each team one review per innings. Which would see the end of all of those reviews made in hope & only get rid of the howlers.

When you hit 434 in 50 overs......and lose

Happy anniversary

View attachment 1075672
I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more.

I only begrudge England their win in Headingley because Stokes was out LBW to Lyon. While I will never watch the game again - ditto Edgebaston in 05 - I maintain that I'd sooner be the person who watched as history was made and some stunning cricket was played than I would have my team win yet another one sided rout.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more.

I only begrudge England their win in Headingley because Stokes was out LBW to Lyon. While I will never watch the game again - ditto Edgebaston in 05 - I maintain that I'd sooner be the person who watched as history was made and some stunning cricket was played than I would have my team win yet another one sided rout.
You disagree that it annoyed me ???

Weird flex but ok

People who think playing cricket on hardwicket is proper cricket.
Admittedly, there's parts of this country where you're not going to get a turf wicket within 50km, but I agree somewhat.

Just so many synthetic techniques that come unstuck the second they have to bat on something with a bit in it.

No!

I almost prefer it if an opponent has to make history to beat us. I'd sooner see that exception to the rule than the onesided victories of my youth.

I'd sooner us rise to the occasion than downhill ski, I suppose.
Any fury i had for that game switched over to Gabba '21.

Still seething, may be appeased if Starc never plays another red ball test ( pink ?? - * yes )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back