Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Dylan Moore. Extends to 2026!

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Go well this season Dylan. You've done all the hard work.

Also interesting to see that he is also aware of the Kane Lambert comparison.

Would love for him to become as good as Lambert.

Would love for him to become as good as Lambert.

Not unachievable. Lambert is a bloke who thrives in a system, all we need is the system for Moore.

Also it's important to note that Moore has underrated inside midfielder skills - he absolutely thrived in that area in his draft year. Something he has that Lambert doesn't exactly have.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Certainly at under 18 level he did play in the centre square as well as a high half forward role. He doesn't stand up in the tackle well enough for a permanent inside mid role but I could see him being in the rotation if he can get a bit stronger. Showed good hands and vision when under pressure.
Not unachievable. Lambert is a bloke who thrives in a system, all we need is the system for Moore.

Also it's important to note that Moore has underrated inside midfielder skills - he absolutely thrived in that area in his draft year. Something he has that Lambert doesn't exactly have.
I noted his under age midfield ability last year but was concerned with his ability to withstand the contest. Looks to have improved on that during the offseason, which is a great sign. It d have him in ahead of cousins as I think he offers more of what we need in the role they play. He has been very efficient this preseason. He is also better overhead ie both at marking and contesting to bring the ball to ground. I’m upgrading my view of him to optimistic from cautious. 😉

I noted his under age midfield ability last year but was concerned with his ability to withstand the contest. Looks to have improved on that during the offseason, which is a great sign. It d have him in ahead of cousins as I think he offers more of what we need in the role they play. He has been very efficient this preseason. He is also better overhead ie both at marking and contesting to bring the ball to ground. I’m upgrading my view of him to optimistic from cautious. 😉
Cousins has a bit more on the board, but you're right - Moore seems like a better option when it comes to delivering the ball I50.

lyger

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That all sounds very promising. If Dylan’s inside game has come on, I can see his role to be closer to Chad than Cousins. I mean a player that can win a clearances, run and carry, and pose aerial and ground threat in the forward line.

Obviously not at the same level as Chad at this stage, but we can definitely do with more of that type.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dylan Moore is:

1. Elite for endurance
2. Very good footy IQ
3. Good footskills
4. Small

Our midfield is already small, very small.

In nice, dry, open games he will flourish because he reads the game well and gets most of his possessions uncontested / in space, as a result of his work rate.

In congested, wet, sloppy games he will struggle as a mid because he will give away 5 - 15cm in height and 10 - 20kgs in weight to direct opponents.

Similar to Caleb Daniel he realistically can’t play in our midfield unless/until we have a couple of 6 foot 3 types (which we don’t have yet) to balance out such a small unit running through there.

So high half forward is definitely his spot if he is to be a regular in 2021
I think his ability to go through the midfied won’t hurt his chances as a forward anyway. Clarko wants this versatility

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Of all the kids who have been on the list for a few years but is yet to cement a best 22 spot i am most confident Moore will make it.

Has the footy smarts and can play inside mid, wing, half forward, small forward.

I really really like him.

Dec 23, 2008
behind enemy lines
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Look im not a negative but he's strengths are a little bit harry Morrison, however we are rebuilding let them play and see who makes it.

He reminds me a lot of boomer Harvey without quite the pure pace or talent but a 80% boomer will that cut it who knows but its a rebuilding year let's see.
I’ve pegged both Morrison and Moore as being the big movers this year. What I like about them is their ability to win the ball back off the opposition. Which is a great attribute to have.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just for some perspective to help people believe Moore can not only make it but be a major contributor long term, 2020 was Moores third year on the list the same number of year it took for Breust to break into the Hawthorn team, if 2011 had been affected like 2020 I doubt Breust finds his way into our team without the VFL

Just for some perspective to help people believe Moore can not only make it but be a major contributor long term, 2020 was Moores third year on the list the same number of year it took for Breust to break into the Hawthorn team, if 2011 had been affected like 2020 I doubt Breust finds his way into our team without the VFL
'3rd Year' as a single point is a pretty tenuous bow for comparison.

At what year did Luke Lowden become the League's only Ruckman to average 3 goals a game?

B&GBlood

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
'3rd Year' as a single point is a pretty tenuous bow for comparison.

At what year did Luke Lowden become the League's only Ruckman to average 3 goals a game?
How many games Breust play in the twos in 2011. And when did he debut are relevant to this perspective. If Breust debuted late in 2011 it is reasonable to conclude he developed through that year. Off to check the records

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Let's look at the match up then. He's either gonna get Heppell, Hind or old mates Laverde/ Redman.
Not sure any of those could go with him over 4 quarters with the tank he has.
While Heppell may have deficiencies, running all day is not one of them.

For sure Dylan will not be viewed as a major attacking weapon by Essendon in the lead up, and he might be given space. So let’s see if he can prove them wrong.

As Bris noted above, he seems to have bulked up through his core, looks tough and nuggety all of a sudden. Excited to see what he’ll bring!

Dylan and some of our other youngens have spent a lot of time this pre season practicing ball security and effective disposal under physical pressure. This includes body positioning and bracing for impact of tackles and bumps, blind turns etc. This is especially important for Dylan as he is light of frame it has made him a better player

lyger

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dylan and some of our other youngens have spent a lot of time this pre season practicing ball security and effective disposal under physical pressure. This includes body positioning and bracing for impact of tackles and bumps, blind turns etc. This is especially important for Dylan as he is light of frame it has made him a better player
That’s a nice insight, thanks.
Has it become a greater focus this pre-season with a changed age demographic, or something that was identified as an area to work on for the whole squad?

That’s a nice insight, thanks.
Has it become a greater focus this pre-season with a changed age demographic, or something that was identified as an area to work on for the whole squad?
Nathan Foley has been working with our kids this year

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
His improvement in this area has been really noticeable. Now that you mention it, as a group we look better. 👍

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Of all the kids who have been on the list for a few years but is yet to cement a best 22 spot i am most confident Moore will make it.

Has the footy smarts and can play inside mid, wing, half forward, small forward.

I really really like him.
YEP

Back