XBX Xbox Series X/S - Articles, accessories and everything else

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yep, to my knowledge, completely unrelated.

One of those games that doesn't necessarily do gameplay mechanics brilliantly, but the world building is phenomenal.

Set in a hub type level system on a space station, going through and uncovering heaps of hidden goodies to fill the story out and whatnot.

Absolutely blew away my expectations when I played it and was enthralled the entire time.

I actually think the gameplay mechanics are fantastic. The creativity you can have to access different areas with the glue gun, mimic ability and other skills is brilliant. The various actions/consequences are also superbly and yet subtly implemented.

Agree with dwwaino - underrated and it's in my top 10 of the last decade tbh.

For anyone with Gamepass that hasn't played Prey, it's a must.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle

people are saying that this is hinting at Outriders launching on Game Pass

Outriders synopsis:

"Humanity's efforts to colonize the alien planet, Enoch, went astray as the expedition team encountered a massive energy storm, known as "The Anomaly", during their search for a mysterious signal"

KAYNE

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2007
Big White
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
I really can't believe how good the value is. Not sure the need to really buy another game anytime soon.

It's a wonder the didn't go with a diskless version with the same power as the series X. Guessing they will down the track.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As much as I am leaning to Xbox this generation I don’t want to buy a console where they try to pull off scummy crap like doubling Xbox live prices.

I really can't believe how good the value is. Not sure the need to really buy another game anytime soon.

It's a wonder the didn't go with a diskless version with the same power as the series X. Guessing they will down the track.

I think that the S was a good idea. A lot of hardcore gamers might scoff at it but it is the most affordable next gen console ever.

If you added in your idea at say 400 bucks then suddenly there are 3 versions and perhaps gets a bit overkill/hard to market.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
As much as I am leaning to Xbox this generation I don’t want to buy a console where they try to pull off scummy crap like doubling Xbox live prices.
MS/xbox want to make gold obsolete to funnel the users to XGP, but if you do 3 year conversion from gold to XGP for $240 you won't have to worry about price hikes for 3 years and that is the same price as 3 new games but you have access to 300 games instead.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
MS/xbox want to make gold obsolete to funnel the users to XGP, but if you do 3 year conversion from gold to XGP for $240 you won't have to worry about price hikes for 3 years and that is the same price as 3 new games but you have access to 300 games instead.
Yeah I understood what they were trying to do with the price rise but they went about it the wrong way.

MS is heading down the subscription path they want to be the Netflix of video games already working on a TV dongle that you plug into your TV and stream games from it

tbh not really fan of it still prefer a dedicated gaming box to play my games on as opposed to streaming

As long as the technology is right, does it really matter?

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
imagine not having gamepass ultimate, I actually have choice phobia. Don't know what I want to play now!!!
Will download squadron tomorrow

It's like Netflix and stuff for me now. I spend more time looking through and deciding on what I want to play than actually playing anything. Then 5 minutes in I stop and look for something else lol

I found the Outriders demo to be complete and utter trash. To the extent that I deleted the demo not long after the first mission.

I do wonder if the factor in going to Game Pass was due to reaction to the demo. Which to an extent is disappointing, as I like games doing demos, but if they're going to get stomped on and cause panic from the publishers, they'll be a complete thing of the past very soon.

In terms of what I've been playing. I finished Ori and the Blind Forest over the weekend. It was a hell of a lot harder than I was expecting it to be, but overall pretty fun, the difficulty spikes though usually at the end of the levels was an absolute nightmare. Same with the manual saving system.

Have moved onto the sequel now and boy is it a huge improvement. Running at 4K and 120fps, it looks absolutely gorgeous and plays even better. The only gripe I have at the moment is the 3 skills system. I get what they're going for, as the first had some bad overlapping control problems. But this one feels weird, especially early on so far when you absolutely need something like the bow & arrow and the stick/climb walls, which means you can only really have one other ability to swap in and out. So it takes the choice away.

However the other changes they've made are absolutely for the better. It flows from area to area so much more smoothly, the controls feel more snappy and the combat, while different, feels nice too.

I'm hoping to pick up the headsets today, so I'm keen on playing some games with the headsets too (Medium/Blair Witch and Ori as well).

Technology might be good but what if you are up to a boss or beat a hard part of the game and your internet craps out where it crashes the stream

Game streaming should be an option not a replacement for consoles imo

Sure, don't want that to be a limitation. I'd say having a gamepass like service is great, where you need an internet connection to be able to access the games but they are still being processed locally so you don't have that issue.

I think it'd be a while at least in Australia (******* Liberals and their ****ed up version of the NBN) where you can have reliable streaming gaming. But then again, imagine telling someone in the late 90s about Netflix. They'd have laughed at you...

Just picked up the headset. Again Microsoft just nail the box design. Everything is so tidy and just easily goes back in place. Sony's boxing is horrible in comparison.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
Not gamepass related, but recently started playing the Splinter Cell games, they hold up quite well, played all of them around the time of their release except for Chaos Theory which I'm playing now, really enjoying it.

I hope they make a new Splinter Cell game, would look and play incredible on the series x/PS5.

Back