Recommitted Fischer McAsey - signed contract extension until 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

They could have got Berry with that pick. In hindsight they should have taken it.
Also just checked and that's not correct. You used the Crouch compo to get Berry, you offered the Atkins compo to gws. The pick would have been 43 I think had it not been absorbed. The first side to pass on selection did it only 8 picks later.

Whatever Vic club does get him, does also need to be aware that his mind probably won't be focused on footy, given what's purportedly going on with his dad. Lowers his trade value dramatically, and increases the risk that he won't be able to put in hard yards required to make it at the highest level.

I say this knowing full well that Wells would be very interested, given we were looking at trading up for specifically him with our TK picks.

Will be very interesting to see how it all plays out, but I think a fair value might be something like Essendon's second that we hold (20-25), depending on how they go this year. I wouldn't be offering anymore than that, as we can see just how prevalent the conversations surrounding mental health are becoming within the footballing community - and how uncertain a footballer's career can be when there are things that take precedence over playing AFL (see Beams and his dad as a recent key example)

Fischer McAsey will select a team
His manager will inform the Crows
Crows will take that teams 2nd round pick
Adelaide will draft their next gun player (they think) with that pick

Everybody happy

The never ending backwards-ness of player value and draft picks means that an 18 year old taken at pick 6, who plays ten games of senior footy and acquits himself well at the level will be worth around pick 25 as a 19 year old.

One vic club is looking at an absolute steal.
He hasn’t acquitted himself well though.

The never ending backwards-ness of player value and draft picks means that an 18 year old taken at pick 6, who plays ten games of senior footy and acquits himself well at the level will be worth around pick 25 as a 19 year old.

I think part of it here is that he was not rated externally as a top 10 pick before the crows flagged him. I remember thinking the cats should try pick him up with our first at 16 and early on a whole bunch were rating him as a pick around there. A late first early second would basically be around where he should have been drafted to begin with and that's where most are valuing him I think

I think part of it here is that he was not rated externally as a top 10 pick before the crows flagged him. I remember thinking the cats should try pick him up with our first at 16 and early on a whole bunch were rating him as a pick around there. A late first early second would basically be around where he should have been drafted to begin with and that's where most are valuing him I think

He was ranked 10th in Twomey's November form guide rankings.

I call this the Nick Riewoldt effect. A top 10 pick could be Nick Riewoldt (but realistically won't be) so you draft a player in the top 10, he isn't the next Nick Riewoldt, therefore his value drops.

I call this the Nick Riewoldt effect. A top 10 pick could be Nick Riewoldt (but realistically won't be) so you draft a player in the top 10, he isn't the next Nick Riewoldt, therefore his value drops.

The thing is though that how many Key Position players look like top 10 picks in their first year? Most key position players tend to struggle a bit in their first year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most teams would actually give up a pick 10 - 15 but know they can get him for pick 25, unfortunately for the crows they can't do much, i think the nominating a state is fair for players on the end of there first contract , then they can nominate a team after that

It's more that the club drafting them is more like an auction winner. They rated that kid higher than others. Even barring disaster the next club likely won't have rated him as highly. That's the winners curse of auctions.

Then add to that list requirements have changed. Example: maybe the cats were into him in that draft which may have been pushing his selection up but we took sdk and are now no longer interested in a kpd.

The net result is that in this situation you'll nearly always be forced to sell to buyers that either didn't rate him originally, or had no need for his type and didn't put the time into him

If he needs to come home to Victoria, why does he get to choose his club, it's astonishing. Adelaide give him 2 years of training, it's well known it take key position players time to break out.
Why shouldn't it be an auction system Vic clubs put in their bids to Adelaide and the crows choose the best offer, he hasn't earnt the right of an unrestricted free agent

He hasn’t acquitted himself well though.
How should a first year KPD acquite himself? He played 10 games, in the worst side that year.
I say he did enough.
You guys took Sam De Koning with a first round pick in the same year. How many games did he play? How did he acquit himself? I mean obviously a lot less than Fisher did.
How about your first pick in the 2019 draft? Cooper Stephens? How has he acquitted himself so far? Like de Koning he has done nothing.
Fisher has done fine for a first year player in a KPD role.

You simply don't get value if a kid leaves after two years. It's like a car that instantly depreciates once you drive it off the lot.

Look at GWS losing Caldwell and Hateley two years after they were drafted in 2018 with picks in the teens.
Yeah, but they didn't play them. McAsey is a young pick 6 KPD who has gotten opportunities and multiple games.

He's lost value, sure. But he's still worth a late first rounder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back