Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest, he could be competing against Parish, Langford, Laverde, Caldwell, Smith, Snelling, Jones and Perkins for that role.
I'd probably see him last on that list.

This list has so many diff types of players in it. You've included Parish and Caldwell (Genuine midfielders), Langford (medium sized utility midfield/forward), Smith and Snelling (The only guys that might play similar roles to Zaka), Jones (KP forward), Laverde and Perkins (medium sized forwards).

Zaka has been selected in the seniors throughout the entirety of his career from his 2nd year onward. There's every reason to believe he's ahead of everyone on that list except Parish and Langford in terms of selection in 2021.

Sounds like he's spending his time in the gym since he can't do all the running at the moment..

Mahoney said veteran David Zaharakis was continuing to progress in his recovery from PCL surgery.

“David is making good progress and getting in a lot more strength work at the moment. He will continue to build up his training before we ramp up his loads on the training track," he said.

"'Zacka' (Zaharakis) was playing near career-best footy in a specific role for our team," Jordan said.

A quote in regards to his season last year, what is Jordan smoking?
Zacka did that thing where he is a liabilty for a month then pulls a couple of 3 goal games out of the hat. His last 6 games for the year he averaged 17.3 disposals and 1.3 goals at half forward. I think from memory they were experimenting with him in defence early in the season.

Zacka did that thing where he is a liabilty for a month then pulls a couple of 3 goal games out of the hat. His last 6 games for the year he averaged 17.3 disposals and 1.3 goals at half forward. I think from memory they were experimenting with him in defence early in the season.
Good things shouldn't be frustrating, but those good things were exceedingly frustrating.

PCL recovery ahead of schedule, pushing to play in the next 2-3 weeks
“‘Zacka’ (Zaharakis) is coming back from that PCL surgery he had in the off-season. He’s tracking really well. The last two or three weeks he’s turned a corner and he’s well ahead of schedule to the point where we’re discussing game time.

“Over the next couple of weeks he’ll keep building his loads, especially the high intensity (work) and the acceleration and deceleration data we want to see. He’s pushing his case to play some footy over the next two to three weeks.”

Weren’t they playing him as a defensive half forward to start in the side the ball wasn’t or some bullshit?

He’s been a long term servant and had one half season where he really showed what he can do but I won’t be sad if the kids are picked ahead of him at this point.

Weren’t they playing him as a defensive half forward to start in the side the ball wasn’t or some bullshit?

He’s been a long term servant and had one half season where he really showed what he can do but I won’t be sad if the kids are picked ahead of him at this point.
Supposedly something like that and i also remember him at half back a little bit. I think he'll still play games but a mentoring role in the VFL could be valuable. Its not like hes gonna miss out on a flag or anything so he should be happy to give the kids game time ahead of himself, and i think he will. When he comes in to the senior team just put him on a half forward flank.

Interesting that VFL time will be part of the return. When is the last time Zaka played in the VFL?
Or Stringer for that matter. I missed that part when I was reading it before.

For Zaka at least, if his PCL surgery is anything like Dev Smith's, he'll be useless for a good 8 months until he learns to run again. Stringer 🤷‍♀️ maybe being off his feet has lost him a heap of conditioning.

Or maybe we just want to test out our forward line without them, give those opportunities to someone who has worked their butt off in pre-season and is fit and firing.

Or Stringer for that matter. I missed that part when I was reading it before.

For Zaka at least, if his PCL surgery is anything like Dev Smith's, he'll be useless for a good 8 months until he learns to run again. Stringer 🤷‍♀️ maybe being off his feet has lost him a heap of conditioning.

Or maybe we just want to test out our forward line without them, give those opportunities to someone who has worked their butt off in pre-season and is fit and firing.
Tbh I think it's what the club said. They need to build minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s quite funny how his socials never have anything club related or even him with any of the other boys. It’s almost as if he’s an outcast in that regard as well as on field. He’s certainly not apart of the new clique.

I’m not willing to declare him a spent force just yet, purely because he was used in the worst way possible under Worsfold and he can actually hit a target and finish.

It’s quite funny how his socials never have anything club related or even him with any of the other boys. It’s almost as if he’s an outcast in that regard as well as on field. He’s certainly not apart of the new clique.

I’m not willing to declare him a spent force just yet, purely because he was used in the worst way possible under Worsfold and he can actually hit a target and finish.
I'm not trying to be mean but when Jobe made those "life after footy" comments - Zaka was the first bloke I thought of. Not really concerned with the on-field performance - just happy to be a good looking, well looked after and financially secured former footy player.

Everything Rutten is trying to do ie play for the jumper, building strong culture, team first footy - I just don't see how Zaka fits in.

Anyone else reckon it is profoundly weird that they were both 13 when that happened?
Bryan and Jones? Try 10. It happened in 2012 (9 years ago), both are 19 now.

Bryan and Jones? Try 10. It happened in 2012 (9 years ago), both are 19 now.

Even more bewildering, Google directs me to the Hawthorn Jones’ wiki but with photos of our Jones.

It’s like asking German kindergarteners to pay back war reparations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back