Prediction 2021 Best 22

The comments were that our two way running is worse off for losing Treloar. That’s what I was addressing and it’s factually false. I’m not doubting he covered a lot of ground in offence how could you not with all those dinky one twos and sideways possessions. What I’m saying though is that he worked much harder in offence than defence. I will happily take the hit on offence given how poor he was on defense.

I've personally got no issues with blokes who run hard forward, but not so hard defensively - Dusty Martin for example. Treloar's issue isn't that he's a forward runner. It's that he's a forward runner who butchers it.

The forward runner does actually help defensive running if he puts in the kind of kms that Treloar does. When he runs to get to the stoppage someone else doesn't have to. When he runs to be hit up into space - it means that someone else doesn't have to. Those kms matter and help with the teams overall ground coverage offensively and defensively - particularly as we're a team inclined to park the bus, so we need blokes who run forward aggressively.

But yes, losing him will be a blessing in disguise if JDG becomes a forward running mid who causes damage. However, I suspect that here'll be a few kms lost in terms of our overall ground coverage.

Last edited:

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you think Sier, DeGoey, Elliott & Daicos are going to be better at running back to defend than Phillips and Treloar? I don’t.

Pendles and Sidey were never great at it either and have only gotten slower. Adams and Noble (and maybe Tyler Brown?) are the only two of our Best 22 mids who I regard as strong two-way runners.

I think we’re gonna get cut-up on counterattack a lot this season but hope I’m wrong. Hopefully Macrae/Rantall/Reef can force their way into the side and improve the running power balance.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Time will tell but if that happens then it won't be because we've lost Treloar or Phillips. It'll be because their replacements are offering similar.

Greenwood was best 22 until injured. He may need time to find form. I love what he brings.
He’s well past it. He doesn’t bring what he used to.

Phillips maybe, but AT will struggle to remain fit this year. His body has barely held together for the last two years. With rotations reduced again this year I’m expecting him to become a core member of the WB rehab group.
So we're going to be paying a player who can't even get on the park?! That sucks.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I've personally got no issues with blokes who run hard forward, but not so hard defensively - Dusty Martin for example. Treloar's issue isn't that he's a forward runner. It's that he's a forward runner who butchers it.

The forward runner does actually help defensive running if he puts in the kind of kms that Treloar does. When he runs to get to the stoppage someone else doesn't have to. When he runs to be hit up into space - it means that someone else doesn't have to. Those kms matter and help with the teams overall ground coverage offensively and defensively - particularly as we're a team inclined to park the bus, so we need blokes who run forward aggressively.

But yes, losing him will be a blessing in disguise if JDG becomes a forward running mid who causes damage. However, I suspect that here'll be a few kms lost in terms of our overall ground coverage.

I take it you missed AFL 360 on Monday night where they did a little piece on how Martin is tipping in defensively these days? We’re getting away from the original discussion again, but I disagree with your statement on Treloar’s offensive run being good for us defensively. All it did was expose us on turnover. I’m ok with front runners for the reason you explained Treloar just wasn’t doing it enough for us to be valuable. Hence why he wasn’t rated as a core player.

Aug 25, 2007
Gladstone Qld
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, he's lost some of the breakaway pace. Hard to tell without having seen him live recently, but on tv jeez he's on screen a lot - he's got to be doing some serious kms for that to occur.

No you hang around in the centre square while the play goes on then when a ball up or boundary throw in occurs
you just stroll up while the umpire waits for the ruckmen to nominate

So we're going to be paying a player who can't even get on the park?! That sucks.
You need to learn the difference between wishing ill on someone and expecting something that’s likely to happen.

I take it you missed AFL 360 on Monday night where they did a little piece on how Martin is tipping in defensively these days? We’re getting away from the original discussion again, but I disagree with your statement on Treloar’s offensive run being good for us defensively. All it did was expose us on turnover. I’m ok with front runners for the reason you explained Treloar just wasn’t doing it enough for us to be valuable. Hence why he wasn’t rated as a core player.
I did miss it, but I have noticed better defensive efforts from dusty around the contest. I'd be shocked if its really defensive running though. As using one of the the best contested players that the game has seen to clog up space would be such a waste.

Matrix10

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
With Treloar and Phillips gone. I'm not worried about the stats or their disposals - obviously if we can get the ball into Daicos's hands rather than either of those two that's a big win. What I'm worried about is how often we'll have one less at a contest, one less clogging space like Phillips did, one less presenting as an option in transition - like they both did. If you lose running power, it's a matter of incremental cuts that may go somewhat unnoticed - but they accumulate. Bring on Rantall - ASAP.

Valid points sr, but i don`t think Rantall is ready yet, yes he runs , both ways, has endurance , but he needs to get his hands on the ball a bit more, peculiar thing is, his first pre~season with us was more promising than he has shown thus far this pre~season, for me , it`s McCrae,if he is in the right head space after the tragic loss of his father , kid will be a jet, has the footy smarts, and uses the ball very effectively

Last edited:

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Time to play kids for rest of the season.

B: Quaynor Roughhead Bianco
HB: Noble Moore Howe
C: Crisp Adams Maynard
HF: Sidebottom Mihocek McCreery
F: De Goey Cameron Elliott
R: Grundy Pendlebury Daicos
INT: Macrae Henry Rantall Murphy

Some comments:
At the moment we have a big problem finding a lockdown small defender. Maynard is in horrible form. He needs to be freed up and play on wing. I'm calling up Bianco to play this role

The following players should spend the rest of the season in VFL:
Mayne, Greenwood, Thomas, Hoskin-Elliott, Sier, Magden, Cox - These players have no future at the club. I've had enough of Hoskin-Elliott and Sier's inconsistencies. They should not be gifted games.

T. Brown - Needs to work on his midfield craft in VFL.
C.Brown - Needs to be trialled as a small defender in VFL as he isnt going to make it as a small forward or midfielder.
Kelly - Play him as full back and keep him there for the entire season. He's Roughead long term replacement.
Keane, Ruscoe - Dont understand why they were gifted AFL games. They arent very good.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool

Some comments:
At the moment we have a big problem finding a lockdown small defender. Maynard is in horrible form. He needs to be freed up and play on wing. I'm calling up Bianco to play this role

Mayne, Greenwood, Thomas, Hoskin-Elliott, Sier, Magden, Cox - These players have no future at the club. I've had enough of Hoskin-Elliott and Sier's inconsistencies. They should not be gifted games.

C.Brown - Needs to be trialled as a small defender in VFL as he isnt going to make it as a small forward or midfielder.
Kelly - Play him as full back and keep him there for the entire season. He's Roughead long term replacement.
Keane, Ruscoe - Dont understand why they were gifted AFL games. They arent very good.
Isn't Bianco still getting match fitness? I genuinely can't remember. I also recall him lacking footspeed. Hopefully Dib can become that small defender we want. I like the Crisp - Adams - Maynard line in the middle. Time to start winning some games in the middle

LarryKinn

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers LA Chargers
Isn't Bianco still getting match fitness? I genuinely can't remember. I also recall him lacking footspeed. Hopefully Dib can become that small defender we want. I like the Crisp - Adams - Maynard line in the middle. Time to start winning some games in the middle
on form, Quaynor is the one who should move into the midfield

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Some comments:

i'd actually love to see a positional change with Brown and Quaynor

Back