2021 Lions Off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wonder if the AFL and VFL could try to schedule games to allow the sub if not subbed in can then play VFL the next day

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
we normally have 4 travelling emergencies anyway.
So be one of those I assume.

yes as someone else said Lester comes to mind as someone who could cover a few positions.
So if credited a game I assume match payments as well.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
we normally have 4 travelling emergencies anyway.
All club's name four emergencies, but most clubs when travelling, bring one and very occasiinally; two.

I can guarantee you that the Lions never bring all four emergencies with them when travelling, unless of course the NEAFL team was also playing in the same state such as Sydney when we played the Swans / Giants.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
All club's name four emergencies, but most clubs when travelling, bring one and very occasiinally; two.

I can guarantee you that the Lions never bring all four emergencies with them when travelling, unless of course the NEAFL team was also playing in the same state such as Sydney when we played the Swans / Giants.
fair enough not all 4.. I did think we brought a couple with us incase someone went down on the day

Full Wingspan

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Absolute amateur hour at AFL HQ. To implement such a significant rule change a day before the season commences is just absurd.

I can see an arguable case for a concussion sub given the long-term nature of such injuries, however losing a player due to injury and being down a man is simply a part of football. Any suggestion that this rule takes pressure off club doctors from diagnosing a player with concussion (given the ramifications for said player) are completely discrediting the integrity of the profession. I cannot imagine a doctor ever prioritising the outcome of a match over a player's health. Ridiculous.

Allowing players to be credited with a 'match' diminishes the value of playing AFL football at the highest level. Another reason to laugh and shake your head at this ridiculous situation.

I am not against change, and I appreciate there are times where a sudden but necessary change is required for the betterment of the sport. However this has gone too far.

There should be an entrenched rule that prevents the AFL from doing this and making changes on a whim. Unless all 18 clubs agree unanimously, rule changes should be implemented in the reserves competition on a trial basis only.

For Gillon to say this won't impact the game itself is completely disingenuous. I give it by the end of round 1 before we have a controversial "injury" which sees a club bring on a set of fresh legs at a crucial moment when the player released had no genuine injury.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Absolute amateur hour at AFL HQ. To implement such a significant rule change a day before the season commences is just absurd.

I can see an arguable case for a concussion sub given the long-term nature of such injuries, however losing a player due to injury and being down a man is simply a part of football. Any suggestion that this rule takes pressure off club doctors from diagnosing a player with concussion (given the ramifications for said player) are completely discrediting the integrity of the profession. I cannot imagine a doctor ever prioritising the outcome of a match over a player's health. Ridiculous.

Allowing players to be credited with a 'match' diminishes the value of playing AFL football at the highest level. Another reason to laugh and shake your head at this ridiculous situation.

I am not against change, and I appreciate there are times where a sudden but necessary change is required for the betterment of the sport. However this has gone too far.

There should be an entrenched rule that prevents the AFL from doing this and making changes on a whim. Unless all 18 clubs agree unanimously, rule changes should be implemented in the reserves competition on a trial basis only.

For Gillon to say this won't impact the game itself is completely disingenuous. I give it by the end of round 1 before we have a controversial "injury" which sees a club bring on a set of fresh legs at a crucial moment when the player released had no genuine injury.
Well put.

Every new rule that comes in the coaches of every team spend countless hours/days working out how to rort it . This one seems a soda. What the difference is as far as disadvantage goes between what happened to Rayner last week and someone put out by a head knock beats me.

Agreed and well explained. I'm just glad we have our own trump card to deal with this one.

We can bring Sharp along and sub him in Q4 to run opposition ragged.

Why not just have 5 on the bench? Going from 4 down to 3 is obviously a concern for coaches and it has merit if it is a close game. If you had 5 players and you lose 1 then 4 vs 5 on the bench is less of a problem

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As for crediting the sub with a game/milestones when he never features at all, words fail me.

You're actually downgrading the value of getting picked and playing.

That someone at the AFL hasn't called this out for the stupidity it is is a head scratcher. Or maybe they did.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Rohan Bewick and Josh Green could have been 300 gamers.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why not just have 5 on the bench? Going from 4 down to 3 is obviously a concern for coaches and it has merit if it is a close game. If you had 5 players and you lose 1 then 4 vs 5 on the bench is less of a problem
That would make more sense. There must be stats available for how many times in a season someone is put out of the game with a head injury. It wouldn't be that often would it ? If someone's having a stinker in a big game tell them to lead with their head Selwood style. And bring on a fresh guy who hasn't played for 3 quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well put.

Every new rule that comes in the coaches of every team spend countless hours/days working out how to rort it . This one seems a soda. What the difference is as far as disadvantage goes between what happened to Rayner last week and someone put out by a head knock beats me.
Apologies . I just read it in full. Well you can sub anybody.

And get the Doc to put it all in writing. And whatever else.

Crikey.

fair enough not all 4.. I did think we brought a couple with us incase someone went down on the day

We generally only take a second if there's someone under a fitness cloud, in which case we'll have one as a scheduled fill-in and one in case there's an unexpected emergency.

Once Dizz is back, it would be Lester for me.

Poor bloody Lester. Start and end his career as a sub instead of having the opportunity to develop from an all rounder junior to a lockdown top 22 position player.

His nick name Froggy comes from how often he had to wear the green sub vest.

Coming into the game and plugging holes turned him into a player that always tried to keep out of other players way. Last year he said his improvement had come from being a bit more ‘selfish’. As if this guy could ever be selfish.

Every time he gets the ball you’ll hear me cheering my guts out for him.

Poor bloody Lester. Start and end his career as a sub instead of having the opportunity to develop from an all rounder junior to a lockdown top 22 position player.

His nick name Froggy comes from how often he had to wear the green sub vest.

Coming into the game and plugging holes turned him into a player that always tried to keep out of other players way. Last year he said his improvement had come from being a bit more ‘selfish’. As if this guy could ever be selfish.

Every time he gets the ball you’ll hear me cheering my guts out for him.
I Love Ryan Lester and what he brings to the list.
Unless Birchall makes way when Dizzy comes back into the team then I think it will be Lester who is the unlucky one.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Lester was a very good player for us last year. I reckon he had a better year than Dizzy and he certainly had a better year than Birchall.

If he plays that well again this year he will not be dropped.

Last edited:

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Old mate Kane Cornes, our new biggest fan. Bigger than Lloydie.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As long as it's not the same bloke more than a couple of weeks in a row.. unless the schedules line up and he can get some reserves games in to keep the match fitness up.
I think it could be Lester for a few weeks, and then it could be Adams (who played forward for the Dogs in a few games), Payne might even need a spell at some point in a long season. Maybe even Ballendeen who can play in a few spots gets a gig. As posted important to rotate the position based on opposition and allow players to maintain match fitness in VFL games.

Imagine being the 23rd player all year, not playing too much but getting your AFL match incentives (which a few of the younger guys and fringe players are usually on, with a lower base pay), sounds like easy money, but being professional athletes would get pretty pi..ed each week sitting on the bench.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think it could be Lester for a few weeks, and then it could be Adams (who played forward for the Dogs in a few games), Payne might even need a spell at some point in a long season. Maybe even Ballendeen who can play in a few spots gets a gig. As posted important to rotate the position based on opposition and allow players to maintain match fitness in VFL games.

Imagine being the 23rd player all year, not playing too much but getting your AFL match incentives (which a few of the younger guys and fringe players are usually on, with a lower base pay), sounds like easy money, but being professional athletes would get pretty pi..ed each week sitting on the bench.
Bit like being the second or 3rd string quarterback in the NFL or Goalie in soccer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back