AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

07 - merrett.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2027
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 10, I Remember Bluey

Last edited by a moderator:
That in particular sounds like something he would thrive off.
Yep. If you listen to the whispers coming from his family he was sometimes a bit bemused about the feedback previously. And then his just missed the leadership group. One thing is for sure and that is this year he will know where he stands even if he decides he is not buying what is on offer.

Yep. If you listen to the whispers coming from his family he was sometimes a bit bemused about the feedback previously. And then his just missed the leadership group. One thing is for sure and that is this year he will know where he stands even if he decides he is not buying what is on offer.
Do you think that these sort of easily coached kids have been recruited on purpose and then left kind of coach-less in a way?

Jul 19, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon

The signs were good for Essendon as their midfield dominated after Geelong kicked the first three goals of the match, with the indefatigable Zach Merrett leading the way in a best-on-ground performance.

After googling indefatigable, I had images of Robbo to Gerard - "great word that Gerard". :moustache:

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I’d hazard a guess that Zac enjoyed yesterday’s game. Excited by the youngsters and wasn’t relied upon to do most of the heavy lifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He looked like he was enjoying playing footy again. Looks refreshed. Also, as well as he took being left out of the LG last year its pretty clear that he enjoys that responsibility.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe it's not a given he goes afterall as many are suggesting.
Honestly cant see it if we are prepared to come to the party $wise. Collingwood are keen but you'd have to be wary on them now for obvious reasons. Hawthorn will rebuilding for at least 3 years. Carlton are supposedly keen but they are no guarantee of team success despite what their fans think. Id be surprised if they played finals this year.

Watching him talk in the latest video you would be hard pressed to see him leaving. Did notice in the after match interview he held back on criticizing Woosha when asked about the difference between Woosh and Truck but it is very clear he is enjoying how Truck is going about it and the clear messaging / feedback he is getting.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Watching him talk in the latest video you would be hard pressed to see him leaving. Did notice in the after match interview he held back on criticizing Woosha when asked about the difference between Woosh and Truck but it is very clear he is enjoying how Truck is going about it and the clear messaging / feedback he is getting.
I thought that too. Its pleasantly surprising to see him so relaxed in his biggest contract year. He looks genuinely invested, and happy, like he wants to be there. Unlike the other guys who left/were leaving it seems different.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

You were pretty glowing of his defensive work in the game review thread.

It would almost be a new recruit to get this guy playing meaningful footy again. Lots and lots of junk possession last year for very little impact.

While not related to his defensive work, he should be the sort of player, like Sam Mitchell, who can control the tempo of the midfield battle (in my mind something that looks like an old fashioned playmaker on a soccer pitch). He has the vision, agility and the skill by foot to play 360 degrees.

When you talk about his defensive work rate does that end up changing the attacking position he takes up? Or is that the point, he now works back from the attacking position? In my mind he spent far too much time at half back last year mopping up possessions, in the exchanges with the defenders, so I assume (without having paid any attention to it during the game) that he's now playing the game in the centre and that his heat map would reflect that.

Last edited:
You were pretty glowing of his defensive work in the game review thread.

It would almost be a new recruit to get this guy playing meaningful footy again. Lots and lots of junk possession last year for very little impact.

While not related to his defensive work, he should be the sort of player, like Sam Mitchell, who can control the tempo of the midfield battle (in my mind something that looks like an old fashioned playmaker on a soccer pitch). He has the vision, agility and the skill by foot to play 360 degrees.

When you talk about his defensive work rate does that end up changing the attacking position he takes up? Or is that the point, he now works back from the attacking position? In my mind he spent far too much time at half back last year mopping up possessions, in the exchanges with the defenders, so I assume (without having paid any attention to it during the game) that he's now playing the game in the centre and that his heat map would reflect that.
Just worked into good position in the back half rather than ball watching or just settling up in an offensive spot to get a cheap kick. You could see him jogging to a player or spot rather than just walking and watching the play.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
The only chance he would have to do this would be if we made the 8.

What’s more likely.. Merrett brownlow or Essendon final win?
Not saying Merrett will win the Brownlow but Cotchin, Ablett, Priddis and Fyfe won Brownlows in teams that didn’t make the final 8 in the past 10 years.

Not saying Merrett will win the Brownlow but Cotchin, Ablett, Priddis and Fyfe won Brownlows in teams that didn’t make the final 8 in the past 10 years.
Finals and a Brownlow aren't mutually exclusive – Dusty seemed to manage okay in a premiership year – but it kind of makes sense that teams that aren't in the top 8 would be more likely to have one player getting most of the votes most weeks, as better sides would have a few players stealing votes off each other.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Finals and a Brownlow aren't mutually exclusive – Dusty seemed to manage okay in a premiership year – but it kind of makes sense that teams that aren't in the top 8 would be more likely to have one player getting most of the votes most weeks, as better sides would have a few players stealing votes off each other.
Dusty had one of those years in 2017. Rare to get a player have such a stand out season in a premiership side.

Dusty had one of those years in 2017. Rare to get a player have such a stand out season in a premiership side.
Yep. Come to think of it, better sides are more likely to play other good sides as their return fixtures, so there would be more chance of the opposition stealing votes as well. In 2016 Richmond finished 13th (bottom 6) so their return fixtures in 2017 would have been predominantly against other sides who were bottom six or middle six in 2016, with either no or one return fixture top 6 side?

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I get that. I just don’t think Merrett is as dominant in our team as those players were when they won. Other Essendon players will get votes too. I also don’t think there are enough times Merrett takes the game by the scruff of the neck in a way where he will get 3 votes in a losing team. Hence I think we need to win a lot of games for him to win a Brownlow.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Yet another solid performance. We just take it for granted.

As I was watching us getting our arse handed to us Saturday, with yet more injuries mounting up... I've never been surer that a bloke will leave. Don't blame him in the slightest. We're years away from something that might not come anyway. He's played some fantastic footy for us, often in ******* terrible sides, and has earned every cent he's been paid.

Reckon he'll be offered the captaincy and obviously a pile of cash, but can't see him staying. Absolutely no chance.

Back