• 12th Greater Western Sydney
  • 13th Sydney
  • 14th Essendon
  • 15th Gold Coast
  • 16th Hawthorn
  • 17th Adelaide
  • 18th North Melbourne
Gains
Zac Langdon traded from GWS, Alex Witherden West Coast, Luke Edwards Glenelg, Isiah Winder Peel, Zane Trew rookie/Swan districts
Losses
Tom Hickey traded to Sydney, Will Schofield retired, Lewis Jetta delisted, Hamish Brayshaw delisted, Mitch O'Neill delisted, Nic Reid delisted, Anthony Treacy delisted, Francis Watson delisted.

What Jake Niall thinks
jake.jpg

A difficult team to assess, in that they have most bases covered structurally, but the age profile makes them vulnerable, as Luke Shuey, Shannon Hurn, Nic Naitanui and Josh Kennedy become heavily managed. Tim Kelly can certainly lift and it's hard to imagine them missing the finals. But can they genuinely contend this year? If they were a horse, you'd say "keep safe''. The safe

Why they can make the eight

The Eagles appear locked for another premiership tilt and will turn Optus Stadium into a fortress in what shapes as the final season for Shannon Hurn and Josh Kennedy. There were no significant list changes, indicating they are confident of rebounding from a surprise one-and-done finals exit. Expect All-Australian Nic Naitanui and Tim Kelly to have a greater partnership this year, while former Lion Alex Witherden should bolster the defence. Jon Pierik
Why they can't make the eight
The Eagles struggled to adjust to hub life last year and a repeat of border restrictions could again have an impact. Blue-chip midfielder Elliot Yeo is battling osteitis pubis and a prolonged absence would hurt their premiership hopes. If Josh Kennedy (team-high 34 goals last year) is not a consistent threat, All-Australian small forward Liam Ryan is curbed and opponents stymie their mark-and-kick game-plan, the Eagles may tumble. Jon Pierik

Hopefully OA goes next level this year and JK cruise's through his last season (not traveling as often?), easy transition for his retirement and probably our most important base covered.
Kelly defo needs to lift and pick up in Yeo's absence.
With the type of players being drip fed into the team can't see any major rebuild or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Hopefully OA goes next level this year and JK cruise's through his last season (not traveling as often?), easy transition for his retirement and probably our most important base covered.
With the type of players being drip fed into the team can't see any major rebuild or am I missing something?

Yeah I think you've forgotten about how little time and research the Victorian media puts into any teams outside their borders. They basically look at the list and take a few guesses and go back to playing pocket pool over Geelong and Richmond.

Yeah I think you've forgotten about how little time and research the Victorian media puts into any teams outside their borders. They basically look at the list and take a few guesses and go back to playing pocket pool over Geelong and Richmond.

I think that’s probably true. Analysis from Victorian pundits is generally pretty surface level for non vic clubs.

It lends itself to lazy and outdated narratives taking hold.

Ie: West Coast is unbeatable at home but bad on the road.

Sounds like 2017 to me.

To be honest I think we are on the precipice of whether we need to drop down to reload or not.

The picks we gave up for Kelly were a lot and means the margin for error is pretty low.

Ironically, If we hadn’t done the TK trade we would not have made finals in 2020. Absolutely we won at least two game we would have lost if he didn’t play for us (V Geelong and V St Kilda) and we would arguably be in a rebuild or at least a “list realignment” this year.

In my opinion in order to avoid dropping out of contention we need;

-Oscar to continue improving and show he can lead the forward line
-Brander to show he can make it as a KPP and is willing to stay around (or be traded for something of value)
- Viable 2nd ruck (Willliams/Jamieson) with a view that one can lead the rucks when Nic retires
- Johnson/Trew/Ledwards to show they can play at AFL level

If more than one of the above go pear shaped, we will drop down the ladder, at least until we develop mids and by time darling/gov/shuey/gaff will be hanging up the boots.

Healy really rates Oscar Allen
Was it Brad Johnson who gushes over him as well?

Healy really rates Oscar Allen
Was it Brad Johnson who gushes over him as well?

I've noticed Gerard Healy, Brad Johnson and David King don't share the West Coast disdain that some of the others have.
They are pretty fair to us and in the case of Healy he comes off as somewhat of a closet West Coast supporter.

Gary Lyon, Ben Dixon, Robbo and Nick Riewoldt seem to be the biggest footy media w***ers when it comes to us imo.

Brad johnson i think worked with Oscar in the u/18s and said at the time he should go no.1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching an AFL season launch special on 360 last night by Johnno Brown and all teams were involved/shown.
All except one of course.

If they did show any Blue and Gold it was so fleeting I didn't see it.

Then they gushed about the goosebumps and how awesome it was.

Ahhhh Yessss. try ignore us at your own Peril Vafl.

Healy froths over us a bit too much but he is right on the money here.

I thought Brad Johnson was pretty ordinary as a pundit but I now find him to be a very astute judge on the subject.

Johnson loves Oscar. That's good.

Johnson also predicts a Freo flag within next 3 years. That's bad.

I also think he contains Potassium Benzoate.

Good little podcast with Lecca. I don't think I realised just how cooked his wrist was, but fondly recall the pure hatred on here for him not tackling. Also a bit of a reminder just how unlucky he got with the knee and arm injuries in his prime.

Good little podcast with Lecca. I don't think I realised just how cooked his wrist was, but fondly recall the pure hatred on here for him not tackling. Also a bit of a reminder just how unlucky he got with the knee and arm injuries in his prime.
How cooked was it? I remember the club actually admitted he couldn't tackle, so it must have been bad. Though, I never heard any follow up with it.

I've noticed Gerard Healy, Brad Johnson and David King don't share the West Coast disdain that some of the others have.
They are pretty fair to us and in the case of Healy he comes off as somewhat of a closet West Coast supporter.

Gary Lyon, Ben Dixon, Robbo and Nick Riewoldt seem to be the biggest footy media w***ers when it comes to us imo.
Johnson and Healy the only ones to tip us during the pre-game of the '18 GF.

How cooked was it? I remember the club actually admitted he couldn't tackle, so it must have been bad. Though, I never heard any follow up with it.

He talks about it at the end of the podcast, but coming back and trying to train with it was the most painful thing he has been through, and this from a bloke who had to do 10 pushups with a broken & plated arm to convince Woosha he was fit to play.

It ended his career, basically. He was severely limited in what he could do and Simmo was just inventing roles to utilise what he could provide as he still had enough talent to be out there. Nicoski had the same injury and his wrist was fused together.

As a bloke with a long family history in fishing and owning a commercial fishing licence, I can understand why it was important to Lecca to look after his wrists.

McGuane has us finishing 3rd and has Freo coming into the 8 for Collingwood.

3. WEST COAST
The Eagles could be the biggest beneficiaries of a normal season – if that happens.

They didn’t handle the hub last year, but were almost unbeatable on their Perth home deck with seven straight wins until the relentless Magpies produced an elimination final boilover.

I have some concerns about their growing injury list, with Luke Shuey and Elliot Yeo having some issues.

If they get the rub of the green with key players being available and can show their natural flair (think Liam Ryan), they will be hard to stop.

Tim Kelly will be better.

The Eagles gave up so much for him, but his first year with the Eagles was a long way short of his damaging Cats’ 2018 and 2019 form.

UNDER THE PUMP

Jack Redden is a bull, but is he still in the Eagles’ best team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back