Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Connor Downie - #35 2020 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Big props to Connor for making his debut in Round 1.

Really like what I have seen from Connor both on the field and off the field in the short time he has been at the club.

Go get them kid :thumbsu:
Connor hasn’t generated the same hype as Kosi and Tyler leading up to Rd 1, but I think he has the capacity to make a real strong impression first up.

Connor hasn’t generated the same hype as Kosi and Tyler leading up to Rd 1, but I think he has the capacity to make a real strong impression first up.
Out of all 3 debutantes I feel like Connor will end up playing the most amount of games in 2021.

Based on both his high levels of physical maturity and emotional maturity (just as important) for an 18 year old.

Out of all 3 debutantes I feel like Connor will end up playing the most amount of games in 2021.

Based on both his high levels of physical maturity and emotional maturity (just as important) for an 18 year old.
Yeah, Connor seems very level headed. It came across even in that club video on players calling their parents. Doesn’t seem the type to get overawed by a big occasion and someone that can channel the nervous energy into high performance. Good luck Connor.

He was a shining light in the praccy game against the Dogs. If we see similar games half a dozen or so times during the year we will be happy Hawkers!

Did he get dropped before you playing a game? That’s a first.
My guess is that Downie will be the injury sub... and so technically it will be his first game. Hopefully he will not be used. If I am right it will be something of a let down for the young man. But this is a professional sport and he is reportedly a professional young man. So maybe this fits.
Clarko put forward the idea that only under 21s would be used as injury subs.... as happened with Breust.
He is true to his idea.

This kid is named as sub and doesn't know if he will even get a run in his first game?
I would almost bet he does. It would have been part of the conversation I would think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know when BH play this weekend? I'd be hoping that Downie can get a full game with them tomorrow if he doesn't actually get on the park tonight.

Who we nominating getting injured?
Who knows. Not hard for a team to say a players is sore or has some “awareness” halfway through the third, just like we did back when Subs were a thing.

Not saying it will definitely happen, but it would be silly to assume we’ve not thought of the possibility.

What a sh*t show.

This kid is named as sub and doesn't know if he will even get a run in his first game?

What a special occasion for him and his parents.

This rushed rule is the worst one they have done yet.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Looking on the brightside. If he doesn't get a run as sub then he'll have played a flawless game with not one mistake. Should get the 3 Brownlow votes.

So as soon as you sub someone, they miss a game.

I don't like it purely as a tactical move. Too much of a sacrifice bunt.
I may be wrong as I haven't followed it super closely, but I believe the mandatory stand down is only for concussions (and it's 12 days, which could end up being 0-2 games depending on byes and consecutive 6 day breaks). For any other injury they are able to play the following week but may need to justify it to the AFL and it'll otherwise be under a bit of scrutiny.

Who knows. Not hard for a team to say a players is sore or has some “awareness” halfway through the third, just like we did back when Subs were a thing.

Not saying it will definitely happen, but it would be silly to assume we’ve not thought of the possibility.
It is harder though considering the scrutiny the AFL is going to place on those players.

Saying that making the sub might not happen also makes it worse that we had Downie ring his mum to say he is debuting when he might not.

It's just a very weird situation either way. If anything Hawthorn should have not had him named as one of the players "debuting" even if he ended up being the sub and not done a post about it where he rang his mum.

I may be wrong as I haven't followed it super closely, but I believe the mandatory stand down is only for concussions (and it's 12 days, which could end up being 0-2 games depending on byes and consecutive 6 day breaks). For any other injury they are able to play the following week but may need to justify it to the AFL and it'll otherwise be under a bit of scrutiny.

This is my understanding too. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous. They should make it a standard 12 days or nothing at all. Absolutely stinking hot of a rule.

I'm going to go against popular opinion and say I like the benefits of the sub rule and think they outweigh the fact coaches will use it as tactical decision. I liked that when Freo had an injury early today and then they could bring a player on. I always felt an unfair handicap when players lose players early, has happened to us a lot these last few seasons. I think being able to bring in a player when that happens is something the game is missing compared to other sports. Why should the other team benefit due to luck with injury so much? For the hardest game in the world where the fittest often win, I don't think it's a bad thing.

Yeah coaches will take advantage of it, like Tigers Friday night, but all sides can take advantage of it.

I also think it really suits us as we have players like Hanrahan, Downie, and possibly in the future young Seamus Mitchell who might really benefit from it as well. I like they young players can get a taste, like we did with Bradley Hill early in his career, without throwing them in for 4 quarters as well.

I understand the is downside, but I do think there is a bit of upside people are missing due to the fact the AFL are usually ridiculous with their rule changes, and that this one was brought in weirdly late.

I am still confused about the rule though. Like Eldorado I thought it was automatic week or so without playing, but I've heard that this might not be the case, so the confusion and lateness is the big part I have a problem with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back