Discussion TV Broadcast Graphics - Designs & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

during the AFLW season, 7 matched the colour of the jumper and the score. So they should do the same with the men’s, which will make identifying teams more easier

Precisely. The only potential issue is going to be when two dark teams play without a clash jumper. Even last night though, the yellow numbers made Richmond stand out more against Carlton.

Carlton away to Collingwood is probably going to be the worst it gets.

Love the full score being shown. It’s probably the only sport where seeing the breakdown of a total score actually paints an immediate picture for the viewer.

I think last year I just had flashbacks to Sports AFL in the 90s where you had to do maths to work the score out.

only potential issue is going to be when two dark teams play

Yes, that’s what happened in the 1st AFLW match this season. 7 hadn’t started matching the jumper with the score so it was dark.

EF73284A-FCA8-48C5-9A14-9279C3E86111.jpeg
this was also before 7 made the score bug a bit smaller, it was way too big in AFLW round 1

Can someone explain this camera that 7 were running with last night? I’m presuming it was supposed to copy the one used in the Super Bowl this year. Pretty sure that Fox called the setup their “Megaladon”

Super large aperture, short depth, but the frame rate was incredibly low. Felt like I was watching a video game for parts.

twitter.com/thecheckdown/status/1348390735507148802?s=20

155ccb83338821dcfaa8ce2074a4f66e.jpg
Using cinematic/photographic cameras with high resolution sensors (a lot of them are running 8K cameras - UFC, WWE). At these resolutions, frame rate is generally much lower (probably 24-30fps: 24 is cinema film, 29.97 is North American and Japanese TV). Depth of field/focus issues are related to the lenses used on these cameras - with sports broadcasting you generally use apertures that need a lot of light to drive the sensor but the trade off is your focal depth is much larger. In cinema, often apertures are opened up with the opposite effect - image is much brighter but the focal depth is much shallower (creating bokeh-like effects outside of that focal range). The other thing I have noticed is that cameramen using these cameras are struggling with focus because cinematic and photographic lenses differ from broadcast lenses - broadcast lenses are generally "parfocal" which means if you zoom the focus automatically moves with the zoom. Cinema and photographic lenses generally keep the focus when zoom is adjusted if zoom is a feature on the lens. It's a completely different ballgame moving from traditional broadcast/EFP cameras to these, especially when it comes to low-light performance, optical stabilisation, etc.

during the AFLW season, 7 matched the colour of the jumper and the score. So they should do the same with the men’s, which will make identifying teams more easier

This has always felt like a great common-sense solution.

It needs some finesse to it - can't have red on black for Essendon due to poor contrast, and so on - but it should definitely be tried.

Hawthorn and Essendon haven’t had their graphics appear on the new channel 7 look so far, tonight is the first look for both

They went black background with white text, which is the same as the numbers on the back of the Essendon jumper. So it kinda makes sense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane Lions scorebug looks good. Nice to see they’re going with the jumper colours for scorebug so far this season.

Would be nice if they coloured the other graphics the same. Looks weird when they have a player stats box up when someone is lining up for goal for Brisbane in maroon when the scorebug below is red

PXL_20210326_110539267.jpg

Would be nice if they coloured the other graphics the same. Looks weird when they have a player stats box up when someone is lining up for goal for Brisbane in maroon when the scorebug below is red

View attachment 1086681

So following on from this, here is a really good example from today of where the colour coding needs to apply to more than just the scorebug. Given this clearance graphic appears right on top of the colour coded scorebug, then at first glance all five players appear to be Bulldogs.

A3382E9B-4BAC-44FF-9324-D20278B0703C.jpeg

So following on from this, here is a really good example from today of where the colour coding needs to apply to more than just the scorebug. Given this clearance graphic appears right on top of the colour coded scorebug, then at first glance all five players appear to be Bulldogs.

View attachment 1088156
Would I be correct to assume that changing these graphics for every game would be quite an effort?

Would I be correct to assume that changing these graphics for every game would be quite an effort?

Possibly. They would have been built a few years ago with a set colour. Would probably have to be rebuilt with some sort of variable "background colour" and "text colour" which would apply across the whole package (quarter break graphics, stats graphics and scorebug). Not sure how hard that would be.

Would be nice if they coloured the other graphics the same

I am liking that they are matching the score with the jumpers but I agree that it’s a bit annoying and weird that it doesn’t happen for the other things

It could that it’s too difficult to change the default colour for other things like stats but surely they can keep the jumper colours when they show the score at end of quarters and games
D2C78182-4B25-4958-ADCF-E90CCF72499A.jpeg 0DA171EC-D739-41F6-9083-D0014974CDA5.jpeg

No idea to be honest. I feel like in this digital age it could be as simple as programming each team twice, once in each colour, then just telling the program which one to use each game. But I could be way off and I’ll happily concede to anyone who knows different.

No idea to be honest. I feel like in this digital age it could be as simple as programming each team twice, once in each colour, then just telling the program which one to use each game. But I could be way off and I’ll happily concede to anyone who knows different.
You’d think logically if they can differentiate from Adelaide stat colour scheme and Brisbane stat colour scheme, they could differentiate between Adelaide colours and Adelaide alternative colours, especially if they’re already used for scoreboard? Though maybe I’m assuming a lot that the back end is set up ‘logically.’

You’d think logically if they can differentiate from Adelaide stat colour scheme and Brisbane stat colour scheme, they could differentiate between Adelaide colours and Adelaide alternative colours, especially if they’re already used for scoreboard? Though maybe I’m assuming a lot that the back end is set up ‘logically.’

Thats basically my assumption but yeah, who know how it all operates in the truck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back