Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not going to bag a kid in his first game, has time on his side. The coaching staff however shows the shambles that the club is in selecting the poor bugger. A simple 400 metre run at training could see his fitness is miles off. the poor bugger was knocked up in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Not many come in and smash it round 1, he has plenty of time and judging purely on last nights game overall, opportunity will be plenty as we build back up.

congrats on the debut, work to be done and best of it for the rest of your career.

It's not about his limited opportunity, it's about when he has an opportunity he constantly drops uncontested marks, fumbles the ball and just generally completely butchers the chance. He's mentally shot and needs VFL game time to build some confidence and form.

He’s mentally shot. Give me a break. You a trained psychologist?

I must say, I don't see what you see with the Tigers. To me, they're not the Hawks playing 'unsociable footy.' They're a good hard team where all players fully commit to defence when the opposition have the ball. Sometimes that defence involves a bit of scragging - like at all clubs. Sometimes that defence involves a professional free, like all clubs do. They're just good and the whole team is bloody committed to attacking when they have the ball and defending when the opposition have the ball.

There's quite a few in tigers team who straddle the line with cheapies on this rare occasion i agree with him re tigers to a man do it.
Fair play to them too but also teams need to feed it back to them I also agree with you in that they play good hard footy as well but yeah they do mix in the cheapies.

Could tell he wasn’t ready after the last praccy match. We must be struggling for options. I hold out hope for him in the future but he needs time.

From what I have read over preseason McCreery looked much more ready and had good form of the first years.
Henry got some pump ups after the 2 internals but there were some who commented others were more impressive.

Oh well he has had a taste now to go back to VFL work on his game and build on it.
Definitely shouldn't play next week as it will do detrimental dmg to his confidence if he plays 3 mares straight.

Would rather play him in defense if you absolutely had to play him so he can get a bit of the ball
Off the bench if you had to.

Imo he should be back to vfl and work his way in. Look to Wilson, Bianco and Rantall as the next crop with McCreery a good chance to impact from the first years.
Even McMahon might be worth pumping games into as a 3rd tall.
Henry definitely not ready.

He’s mentally shot. Give me a break. You a trained psychologist?

He's either mentally in a bad spot right now or you believe hes dropped 5 uncontested marks in his past 2 games because his skills are crap. You can believe that if you want, I believe he's just in poor form and his confidence is shot and needs VFL game time.

1998 rd 3 Collingwood played the Bulldogs. I remember this game for two reasons Buckley only got 10 touches playing in the midfield (probably only shocker he every played) and it was Tarrants debut. Tarrant got a handful of touches I do think he took a speccie in last 5 minutes other than that he was underwhelming. Henry reminds me a touch of Tarrant but with better foot skills.
Oliver Henry has had a shocking debut but I am super excited by him. He is quick, super agile and I do think he thinks he is one one of those players who will did some amazing/good things by instinct. I'd be prepared to carry him because I think he just might click and have a season like Stephenson did (who was awful his first few games before kicking 5 against the crows)
Lets back him I am confident we will be rewarded.
Quick and agile...

Did we watch the same bloke? Looked sap-down-a-tree slow.

It was the lack of intensity. He's just not ready - not sharp enough yet, despite how good he might look in a lower intensity hit out.

Then 99% team not ready as can said for every player last night except Moore

Hard to argue that he isn't looking ready. The question is whether or not you give him one more game before sending him down - not because he earned it, but because you've brought him in, you might as well give him two games at it. Poor if you let him get dropped after his debut game.

We do need to be patient - with him and all of our draftees. But overall the quality / depth of the youth on our list is in pretty poor shape, and we've already traded away our first draft pick this year in what may very well end up being quite an early pick... I know everyone knows this, but I'll never stop bringing it up...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off the bench if you had to.

Imo he should be back to vfl and work his way in. Look to Wilson, Bianco and Rantall as the next crop with McCreery a good chance to impact from the first years.
Even McMahon might be worth pumping games into as a 3rd tall.
Henry definitely not ready.

Not hard to get in the Side we Have

Hard to argue that he isn't looking ready. The question is whether or not you give him one more game before sending him down - not because he earned it, but because you've brought him in, you might as well give him two games at it. Poor if you let him get dropped after his debut game.

We do need to be patient - with him and all of our draftees. But overall the quality / depth of the youth on our list is in pretty poor shape, and we've already traded away our first draft pick this year in what may very well end up being quite an early pick... I know everyone knows this, but I'll never stop bringing it up...

I think if you take in the game vs Richmond and this as 2 games of getting donuts and looking lost, do you really want to triple down on that? Could break him.

Just let him go back spend next 12 months in vfl ( unless form dictates otherwise) and have another preseason under him.

There are others who should be looked at like Rantall, Bianco and maybe Wilson.

I think the issue is that we judge our kids & list in the pre season against our own list ( that’s all we can do at the time ) but when it’s up against other clubs, it really shows up what we think, what we have & the gap in class, that’s all.

Can’t carry the likes of

WHE
Thomas
Madgen
Sier
Brown
Brown
Grundy ( yes him )
Mayne
Noble
Ruscoe

These are first 23 players, can you really see us winning anything with these guys????

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have a must win game against Carlton and he's been worst on ground 2 games in a row, we're not a charity, we need to pick our strongest team until we can't make finals then u play kids.

Wasn't his fault, look at the supply into the forward line. He had good moments where he took the game on. Was nowhere our worst.

Barley got Kicked too and IF it did Missed him by a Mile

Barley got Kicked too and IF it did Missed him by a Mile
Yeah, it was a tough night for the forwards no doubt. It all starts in the midfield, but because we got thrashed, it didn't help the forwards by the time the ball went in there.

I dont care how bad he was. I'd rather lock him in for at least a small block of games. We just need to blood these kids and get as many of them up to 30-50 as quickly as possible . Stick with him and Ruscoe. Drop WHE. Thomas can be the sub.
Rubbish. Just playing young blokes because they are young and fresh is pointless if they are not ready. You could destroy their confidence and career very quickly.
Henry's last two games have been abysmal. He has fallen over fumbled or turned the ball over on the rare occasion when he touched it. He looks overawed and jelly legged with stage fright. I use to have dreams about big games at local level where the ball was passed to me and my legs were too heavy and I ran on slow motion and never managed to gather the pill. Henry plays like me in my prematch nightmares!
Give him time to breathe and regain some self belief.
I'll bet he is hoping to be dropped at the.moment.

Yeah, it was a tough night for the forwards no doubt. It all starts in the midfield, but because we got thrashed, it didn't help the forwards by the time the ball went in there.

Can't touch the Ball IF goes nowhere near you

Bit Watts like hey. Just a kid, he ain’t our biggest concern that’s for sure but you have to question the inner sanctum about what made them think he would handle the heat in the first game of the year and not play against men in the 2’s for at least 4-6 weeks?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back