Autopsy Rd 1, 2021. Blues fight hard but fade late

Who played well for Carlton in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones is extremely athletic, but still prone to do dumb things (the rushed behind, punching when clear and should mark) - but is an asset.
Jones got screwed with the rushed behind call. Nankervis at the other end was far more intentional and not called.

Poor Liam looked utterly spent by the end of the game. Could barely keep his feet. Either he had a corky or Riewoldt runs harder than I think.

the tiger players did start preseason prior to Christmas they did not have to but did. The most notable thing during the game was how physical the tiger players were towards our players. Every chance they had to bump or push etc they did. We play nice. Although I did like Harry's hit on Vlastin in the first.

the tiger players did start preseason prior to Christmas they did not have to but did. The most notable thing during the game was how physical the tiger players were towards our players. Every chance they had to bump or push etc they did. We play nice. Although I did like Harry's hit on Vlastin in the first.

Its a cheap way of wearing players down .... and smart.

Does anyone have a theory on why we looked more spent than them although we had a longer preseason?

Season is long and you can't maintain the same level for the entire season. This might be a planned to ensure we finish stronger

The numbers from Thursday as team total differentials

KMS -1.1
Sprints -51
Repeat sprint +3

Fitness/endurance seems fine, sprints not so much, which indicates what we already know, we need more consistency in contributions of work rate

Jones got screwed with the rushed behind call. Nankervis at the other end was far more intentional and not called.

Poor Liam looked utterly spent by the end of the game. Could barely keep his feet. Either he had a corky or Riewoldt runs harder than I think.
Shoot me, but I think it was the right call, Nankervis had a player in his "vacinity" which by the rules negates the intent issue. It was obvious to me that Jonesy's intent was to concede and reset. Jones had an outlet player to pass it too and I think he deliberately knocked it towards the goal line.

I haven't read the whole thread but has anyone else mentioned what an ear bleed Jobe was.
Special comments takes on a whole new meaning when Jobe's in the box.
Why does he get a job?????
Surely there are more insightful ex players with a better grasp of the English language to do the job.
He is a confirmed drug cheat and a piss poor commentator.

Shoot me, but I think it was the right call, Nankervis had a player in his "vacinity" which by the rules negates the intent issue. It was obvious to me that Jonesy's intent was to concede and reset. Jones had an outlet player to pass it too and I think he deliberately knocked it towards the goal line.
"BANG"🤩
Jones had no control of that footy at all imo.
Was a bullshit call.

I meant our Jack, who is always on the move, working hard to hit up as an option on a consistent basis, unlike H who doesn't do it as often as he should
Harry and Levi’s second efforts were non existent, as soon as the ball or them hit the ground that was it no follow up no pressure not good enough.

Oscar on the other hand showed desperation and multiple efforts, matched the other 2s stats in a half of footy which is a massive indictment on there work ethic in the game, Jack before being injured was also very good and that chase from half forward to halfback was fantastic shame it resulted in his injury.

Season is long and you can't maintain the same level for the entire season. This might be a planned to ensure we finish stronger

The numbers from Thursday as team total differentials

KMS -1.1
Sprints -51
Repeat sprint +3

Fitness/endurance seems fine, sprints not so much, which indicates what we already know, we need more consistency in contributions of work rate
Thanks arrow. What were the sprint totals? Wasn’t aware this was something recorded.

Thanks arrow. What were the sprint totals? Wasn’t aware this was something recorded.

The measure is unusual

Total of all players that travel 24 KM/H for more than 1 second

Rich 287 to 227

Repeat sprints within 60 seconds, both at 24 KM/H

Repeat sprints Rich 20 to 23

Just tells you Tigers have more players with more top end speed

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pittonet stripuggles ro run out games. It was no coincidence we were on top when he was, but Nankervis got on top and so did the Tiger midfield. It all starts in the middle.

we probably need to pace Pittonet better so he has something for critical periods towards the end.
Yeah spot on faded badly in the second half both in the ruck and especially around the ground, didn’t push back to help the defence anywhere near as much in the second half, marks dropped to just about zero same with disposal.

This happened last year as well and his second half to the year was well below par the more tired he got, whether we can afford to play him and TDK will be an interesting discussion, certainly needs to find a way to pace himself, also he is very limited in his taps which generally go to the same spot every time which is straight down and teams are aware of this and block Cripps so they can run through and shark the taps , both Saints and Tigers did this.

And people had a sook over pick 8 for saad. The bloke is a jet and will help us shoot up the ladder

I'm definitely one who thought we paid overs.

But credit where credit is due, he was terrific on Thursday and warranted every we gave up in that trade. If he can produce that effort every week we will have won that trade.

Don't expect him to get those stats every week, but his effort was second to none - if we have 22 blokes who put in as much as he does then we would be a top 3 side, no doubt about it.

I'm definitely one who thought we paid overs.

But credit where credit is due, he was terrific on Thursday and warranted every we gave up in that trade. If he can produce that effort every week we will have won that trade.

Don't expect him to get those stats every week, but his effort was second to none - if we have 22 blokes who put in as much as he does then we would be a top 3 side, no doubt about it.
Yeah me too. Happy to wear the egg.

Great to be back at the G. Will watch the replay over the weekend but thought we were very, very good for most of the night.

Came up against the best in the business and more than held our own. We were the better team for most of the evening but couldn't capitalize on the opportunities we created and fell away towards the end.

Midfield duo of Cripps and Walsh were phenomenal but the midfield unit were well beaten on the night. Need others to stand up and help - Williams will help enormously in this regard.

Backline was outstanding as they so often are.

Forward line messy at times but for the first time in a long time there are genuinely dangerous smalls buzzing around and talls who can and will compete.

Jack - Was having an impact before coming off with a shoulder injury. Effort was there as it always is. Hopefully the shoulder doesn't keep him out for too long.

Dow - I'm a huge fan of this kid and I thought he was good. Not amazing but good and calls to drop him on the back of that performance are frankly ludicrous. Made a costly error but made up for it not long after and you can see it means a lot to him.

Murphy - Quiet game from Murphy who had next to no impact on the contest. Wasn't necessarily bad just didn't get involved at all.

LOB - Thought he started very well but was virtually unsighted for the remainder of the game. Spent a lot of time on the 'far wing'. Made a bad error in the 4th which pretty much sealed the deal on the night.

SPS - He was poor. I'm not going to be overly critical though because to me it just looks like his body isn't allowing him to do what his mind wants. Tried to create which is what we as fans want to see but he is completely gassed after short burst efforts. He'll keep his spot and I'm fine with that but there are issues there that need to be resolved.

Fogarty - He was very good on debut for the club. Keeps busy and applies pressure which is what you want from a small. One bad miss in front of goal the only real blemish, would like to see him use the ball with a bit more authority also.

Cripps - Looked in great nick last night as he did through the preseason. He was brilliant but I felt he had used used up most of his petrol by half time. Needed more support in the middle. Tries to do a lot by himself but pleasingly looked for options when streaming forward which he hasn't always done. Williams back in next week will be huge for him.

Harry - I must have watched a different game last night to those who are being critical of Harry. I thought he was terrific and clearly the most dangerous tall on the ground. A few dumb costly errors in front of goal but he's had 5 scoring shots and probably should have kicked 4. In for a big year if he can stay fit.

Jones - Typical Jones game. Did some outstanding things but also a brain fade or two. Riewoldt gets him on the stat sheet but most of his goals came from long and wide which as a key defender is exactly where you want. He's fine.

Docherty - Looked a lot better than he did through the preseason. Not his best game but got plenty of it and generally used it well. Think he'll benefit plenty from Saad being there alongside. Movement worries me at times but he'll continue to build after a long layoff.

Walsh - Not much to say here, he's phenomenal and continues to elevate his game year on year. Only blemish is the miss in the 4th.

Plowman - Sensational. Easily one of our best on the night. Didn't put a foot wrong all night. Loved the goal.

Weitering - Good, not great. Thought he held Lynch fairly well so did his job.

Fisher - Very busy but thought the Tigers did well to curtail his influence. Playing a new position so he'll have good days and bad this year. He was fine and he'll get better.

Pittonet - Thought he was very good and had more of an impact around the ground than what we saw last year. One bad error when he completely misjudged the flight of the ball but other than that thought he was fine. He'll never be a star but he's a very competent footballer who will serve us well over the next few years.

Williamson - Barely noticed him last night. Nothing bad but just had no impact on the contest.

Newnes - He was excellent. Ran hard all night, presented an option, found plenty of the ball and used it very well. I was a big fan of this pick up and I'm glad he's started the year really well.

Curnow - Found plenty of it but had next to no impact. Still has a role to play and his mature body and fitness will prove more valua

McDonald - Did everything we could have possibly asked of him. Came on and competed hard and had an impact straight away. Should get a start next week. Well done Oscar.

Gibbons - Excellent early. Didn't think he'd be out there after what we saw through the preseason but he took his opportunity and should remain.

Casboult - Clearly not right but tried hard and competed well. Thought he was decent early and was surprised he only had the one touch in the first quarter. He's not quick but last night was noticeably slower I thought, so looks like he's not right. Might be one to make way next week if not.

Saad - Fantastic start at his new club. Defensively he was good but most pleasingly his kicking was also excellent. Effort was there as it always is. Won't take long for this fan base to fall in love with him.

Setterfield - Not his best, not his worst. Drifted in and out of the game and didn't have much of an impact on the game.

Result didn't go our way but plenty to like on the night. Wasted opportunities are the story here but at least we're creating them - and more than enough of them to win - and that's the big takeaway for mine.

If that's the benchmark we set for our performances we're in for a good year - play as we did last night and we'll win more than we lose.
Great post and I agree with almost all of it, just on Williamson I think in the second half when he was able to push higher up the ground his kicking really came into it and he set up at least 2 goals with his long left foot kicks going inside 50 plus the other long one to Oscar right on the 50, he really needs to be tried more on the wing where he can use his best asset his long left foot.

Setters really only had the one good Qtr which was the 3rd where he had 10 disposals and used it well, in the other 3 qtrs I think he had 2, 3 and 2 disposals for a total of 17, this was his first game back as a pure wingman though and will only get better.

Jones really didn’t have a great night especially by foot which is unusual for him as he normally uses it pretty well other than the odd brain fart, he did really allow Jack those marks in the pocket which in the end was a mistake given the result although I think one was Weiters going to ground, withstood a lot of entries but just butchered his disposal.

The measure is unusual

Total of all players that travel 24 KM/H for more than 1 second

Rich 287 to 227

Repeat sprints within 60 seconds, both at 24 KM/H

Repeat sprints Rich 20 to 23

Just tells you Tigers have more players with more top end speed
Yeah I noticed that differential when I went through the tracker stats and it’s a very big margin compared to other games, they just ran with more desperation at times, I don’t think we will see another differential like that though as it’s pretty unusual.

Not worried about Setters at all. Has a habit of an iffy Rd 1, I reckon (he wasn’t bad). He’ll have a solid season. Like that he tends to get shots on goal.

it's one of those sayings that no longer serves anyone looking to support equality and inclusion - the underlying premise being he is something less because he plays like a woman - if you wanna bag a bloke's performance, women shouldn't have to be the butt of the joke - great white hope is another old idiom that doesn't bear close scrutiny..........there are heaps that have reached their expiry date if we are serious about equality..........
Speaking of the women, Vescio is just such a predigious talent and is one that I think given her ability could actually play in the mens comp as a small forward, she just blows me away every time I watch her play just sensational.

Arguing semantics. The real issue is consistent application of the infringement.
Pay both or pay neither
Issue is resolved.
I believe both intended to rush a behind and re-set.
Both should have been paid using Jones as the marker in this match.

Back