Drafting

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is it time to review Hine's position? These are our picks since our strong 2014 draft:

2015:
Pick 32 - Brayden Sier
Pick 58 - Tom Phillips (good pick but traded for pick 60+ 5 years later)
Pick 63 - Rupert Wills (delisted)
Pick 65 - Ben Crocker (delisted)

2016:
Pick 30 - Sam McClarty (delisted)
Pick 35 - Callum Brown
Pick 50 - Kayle Kirby (retired)
Pick 57 - Josh Daicos (good pick but gift wrapped to us)

2017:
Pick 6 - Jaidyn Stephenson (traded for a second rounder a few years later)
Pick 39 - Nathan Murphy (Has played 2 games so far)
Pick 57 - Tyler Brown (another gift wrapped player)

2018:
Pick 13 - Isaac Quaynor (gift)
Pick 29 - Will Kelly (gift)
Pick 77 - Atu Bosenavulagi (traded out as steak knives)

2019:
Pick 40 - Jay Rantall (hasn't played yet)
Pick 45 - Trent Bianco (hasn't played yet)
Pick 55 - Trey Ruscoe (has played a few games)

It's obviously even worse if you factor in the trading out of firsts for Beams + Treloar

Sack Ned Guy first. Never seen a bloke more out of his depth.
I’d say I agree, however, it was reported during the week that he had inherited the salary cap issues and then was stuck executing what the club wanted. I still wonder what happened with Matt Rendell. Was he moved on because his opinions were too different in terms of list management?
At least Graham Wright has had experience in lost management/recruitment. So I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes changes after assessing what’s happened over the years.

Is it time to review Hine's position? These are our picks since our strong 2014 draft:

2015:
Pick 32 - Brayden Sier

2016:
Pick 35 - Callum Brown

2017:

2018:

2019:

It's obviously even worse if you factor in the trading out of firsts for Beams + Treloar

Hine hasn't really had the picks to work with. The hits we've had we just needed to trade because we stuffed up our contract management, not because of bad drafting. My biggest criticism of Hine is his approach to drafting key position forwards. I feel he undervalues them. But otherwise I think Hine and our drafting is a strength of our footy department.

Hine hasn't really had the picks to work with. The hits we've had we just needed to trade because we stuffed up our contract management, not because of bad drafting. My biggest criticism of Hine is his approach to drafting key position forwards. I feel he undervalues them. But otherwise I think Hine and our drafting is a strength of our footy department.
A strength not reflected in our playing list?

A strength not reflected in our playing list?

I think we have a strong list, but no longer any depth. It would be stronger and bat deeper if we hadn't stuffed our contracts up. Our one glaring weakness is key forward, so that's certainly reflected in our playing list.

I’d say I agree, however, it was reported during the week that he had inherited the salary cap issues and then was stuck executing what the club wanted. I still wonder what happened with Matt Rendell. Was he moved on because his opinions were too different in terms of list management?
At least Graham Wright has had experience in lost management/recruitment. So I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes changes after assessing what’s happened over the years.
He along with Buddha Hocking reportedly questioned some practices and constantly recruiting the same types but expecting different results. Rendell allegedly had the temerity to suggest we recruit some footballers rather than athletes

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we have a strong list, but no longer any depth. It would be stronger and bat deeper if we hadn't stuffed our contracts up. Our one glaring weakness is key forward, so that's certainly reflected in our playing list.
I actually think our midfield is a major issue and likely to get worse unless some of the kids come through quickly. Pendles and Sidebottom can’t play forever. That and a true, quick crumbed on the forward line who can also apply pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd be in a great position if we'd brought in 5 first rounders over the past few years (2x Treloar / Beams + 1 x Stevo) to add to the batch of young talent we picked up in the 2020 draft
Macrae is shaping as a beauty and I have high hopes for at least 2-3 of the others

I'd like to see where we're at at the end of this year - I think we need to move some capita out and bring some picks in
- I'd be open to trading a big-name player but it would have to be either after the selection of Daics / for a developing gun KPF (eg McDonald) / of a few first rounders in 2022

We'd be in a great position if we'd brought in 5 first rounders over the past few years (2x Treloar / Beams + 1 x Stevo) to add to the batch of young talent we picked up in the 2020 draft
Macrae is shaping as a beauty and I have high hopes for at least 2-3 of the others

I'd like to see where we're at at the end of this year - I think we need to move some capita out and bring some picks in
- I'd be open to trading a big-name player but it would have to be either after the selection of Daics / for a developing gun KPF (eg McDonald) / of a few first rounders in 2022
That kid Jackson Melbourne picked up in 2019 looks like a beauty!!

The ‘14 draft has saved us from it being a complete disaster. Recruited De Goey, Moore and Maynard and actually had a decent trade period as well.

The ‘13 draft is a disaster. Two top 10 picks which didn’t deliver and Langdon was the only good pick but suffered knee issues and subsequently retired.

For all the hype about Hine and co, I don’t think they’ve done as well as many had hoped.

Which big name player would you consider?
For me rhe only untouchable is Moore.
Obviously wont happen but would you consider trading Grundy or DeGoey for some young guns or draft picks?
Id certainly consider grundy due to his large contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lot of great young talent around if you have the picks available
Well if we look to 2022 and aim to play the kids we are accumulating, we may end up having the picks available.

I do think the 2x first rounders for both Treloar and Beams were disasterous for us.

Obviously wont happen but would you consider trading Grundy or DeGoey for some young guns or draft picks?

If he keeps going the way he has, Cameron will come in and Grundy will find himself playing VFL

100% w you on Moore
Has to be our next captain

Given the right price I’m open to trading anyone
I’d want something significant but I’d be open to trading Grundy first
JDG if we were offered something amazing but he’s just the type we need: inside/outside bull with goal nous

The Cats haven't really had the picks either but seem to unearth talent further down the draft order, particularly in recent years. On balance Hine has had a lot to work with compared with Wells.

It also feels like recently Hine hasn't identified and drafted kids with great skill, more athletic ability. Perhaps this was pre-emptive or a result of rule changes requiring greater cardiovascular capacity of players, were left with a group of rather average ball users.

2015:
Pick 32 - Brayden Sier

2016:
Pick 35 - Callum Brown

2017:

2018:

2019:

Not sure how you can criticise Hine for Stephenson or Phillips. His job is talent ID and he nailed those two, not his fault that the club (Guy) mismanaged the cap so badly for the past few years that they had to be traded for peanuts. And he netted us DeGoey and Crisp for Beams. The cost to bring Beams back also lands on Guy. Lastly, Daicos was selected in the open draft, so whilst he is a FS player, he was selected in the same way Phillips was, in that everyone else passed on him, so it’s unfair to say Hine’s talent ID had no bearing there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back