Review Round 1, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Giving up 23 marks inside 50 from 59 entries is very poor all round.

Our midfield still looks a bit one dimensional, we really don't have much variety to throw in there with Rayner out. Oacar got pretty handily beaten by Hickey in the ruck, still a has a lot to work out rucking wise.

Like many other players, Andrews looked off tonight. He was slow to react and wasn't putting himself in the best position to defend.

Robbo looks cooked. Bring Ely in.

So we are glaringly slow.. still.
Outpositioned outworked outmuscled.

Tackling dreadful.
Discipline non existent.

Swing the axe Fages. Has to be some hungry 2s players shaking their heads knowing they’d put in a lot better effort than that.

There will be no votes.

The mistakes and turnovers were pretty average but can happen round one. What concerned me more was how we were completely outplayed between the arcs. The way they cut us apart was alarming. On the flip side we just hacked and fumbled our way forward hoping for a miracle. It was like watching a much weaker soccer team trying to pinch a goal on the counter. Quite embarrassing considering the relative expectations for both sides.

That was just shocking. Maybe its just the short preseason or maybe we have missed a trick on how to play under the new rules. Lot of passengers out there and midfielders especially who just didn't run.

Gave votes to Lyons, Linc, Bailey and lastly Zorko. Zorko was one of our better performers but his attitude was crap. The sniping and acting stuff isn't good enough as captain.

Sharp probably wasn't ready. He runs and shows a bit but I can't see he knows the game plan enough to be carried. He has a future but needs some reserves games to build up to it.

Fullerton might be good below his knees but doesn't seem to know where to lead or contest a mark. Not sure he is ready either.

Mitch has been a warrior but the game has gone well past him. His blind kicks won't work this year and he goes to ground too often. Hard to tell on the tv but think I saw some poor efforts jogging through the corridor while they were streaming forward. Ely should be annoyed that he got dropped for that effort from Mitch.

I was hoping that Birchalls kicking would suit the new game but he was poor. Cant play him and rich down back. Need to move him on soon

Charlie sulked again and its a bad look. Doesn't seem to like not being the main man.

Again I question the game plan. We just didn't use short kicks or the space with the new mark rules. Too many hack long kicks down the line. Too predictable as they often out numbered us there. Also think the third tall could have been better used by an actual extra mid.

There was a lot of tripe tonight, but what in the * was wrong with Harris Andrews. The guy could barely move.

I always rejoiced when the fixture was released and we were playing a top team round 1. Perennial ladder leaders starting seasons slowly is nothing new. We benefitted in 2019 playing West Coast

Not too concerned

Swans way too good. Way to easy by foot.
No pressure
Zorko gave away stupid frees again. Bailey did some great things although got caught with it a few times as had to do too much.
Neale, Daniher, Lyons and McCarthy tried. Big O also although Hickey out played him. Miss Stef already.
Lots of players off night hope it is rust, we struggle to stick tackles again. Lots of young swans and no one could lay a tackle..
Down to Geelong who got beat as well
Prob be 0-2 if we bring this level of pressure.
Marks inside 50 5-23 and we have 3 A grade forwards :( 3 goals each to a first gamer swan :(

A few random thoughts. Could only vote for McCarthy and Lyons. Soft team effort. Real bummer after our AFLW's win. Sydney too good, great young players and couldn't miss. Zorko needs to pull his head in. We missed Martin, Oscar was ok but soundly beaten. You can't play Birchall, Rich and Lester in the same team. I would drop Birchall permanently. Umpires seemed to be looking for frees to pay to Sydney. Only silver lining is that we were terrible Round 1 last year.

Well that was just *en s**t from the club to dish up at Round 1 not going to lie there.

No joke, that was probably the worst performance I have ever seen from our team under Fages leadership given the lineup we served up compared to theirs.

I swear to God now, if we play like that for the whole season, we won't be playing finals at all, let alone contesting for the premiership.

The only player who really performed well for us today was Bailey and that was it.

I hope Fages gives them a massive spray after the game cause they bloody need it if we want to be a premiership contender this season :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
Birchall is done too.

A lot of people around these parts were calling for him to hang up the boots and he played on a year too long (it could be argued he's now played two years too long).

The deal done prior to Covid with its incentives has bitten us. In an ideal world we'd still have Stef and Birchall would've retired. Wouldn't have made a difference tonight though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Birchall out. Madden in.

Sharp out. Robertson in.

Mitch should have been in the centre bounce rotations from the beginning.

Cameron should not be in the centre bounce rotations.

Our midfield was running away from the contest without having secured possession, which meamt Sydney's midfield just had open space and no pressure once they got the first handball out of the pack.

Is Harris Andrews injured? Just seemed to be labouring and lacked intensity.

Zorko had a real dirty game. Tbh looked like a very frustrated man... hope that's more the frustration at losing rather than frustration at his body. He had no zip at all today.

Tbh, that was the worst we've played in a long time... many players you could point to.

I'm confident we are good enough to bounce back next week against the cats, but another flat performance next week will have me a lot more worried than tonight.

Also for some reason this game reminds me a lot of our Round 1 upset win over the Eagles in 2019.

Young side everyone felt was on the up against the premiers, no one gave us a chance but we killed them.

Good on the Swans but we'll bounce back.

Cameron should not be in the centre bounce rotations.
Funnily enough he looked like one of our few consistent ways to generate clearances.

Out played by their run out of defence, and the pressure of their half forwards. They were set up better than us, and showed much better skills.

Man that effort was ******* embarrassing. I kept waiting for the team to turn it on but it looked like no one gave a *.

When you have to move charlie to the midfield to have a serviceable inside mid you know things are a mess

That sucked, but it's only one game thankfully. Like I said it was a team effort (or lack thereof) and every single player should have a good hard look at themselves.

I'm certain we'll be right next week.

Back