Analysis Where will our goals come from?

Which players on the list can average one goal per game in season 2021?

• Taberner

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • Walters

Votes: 66 71.7%
  • Fyfe

Votes: 38 41.3%
  • Schultz

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • Crowden

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Lobb

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Sturt

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • Henry

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Frederick

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Switkowski

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • Colyer

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve got to admit my heart sank a bit when Jlo was interviewed after getting the Freo job & was asked what sort of coach he was. First thing he said was ‘I’m a defence first coach’.

As much as I loved Ross going from a defensively minded coach to another one didn’t inspire me. I know we’ve copped a lot of injuries to our forward line but
seems kicking goals and playing attacking footy isn’t a priority both in drafting or game style.

On the contrary when Fagen was appointed Brisbane coach the first thing he said he wanted to play entertaining footy. They have gone from strength to strength, players want to go there.

Damn it I want to be entertained!!!
History says defensive footy has got Freo into finals.

Some people want entertaining footy. I don't if it gives us a repeat of 2002-7.

Given the choice of attractive footy and finish bottom 6 or play defensive footy and play finals I know which one I want. I want freo to play finals

Given the choice of attractive footy and finish bottom 6 or play defensive footy and play finals I know which one I want. I want freo to play finals

Bro, you're too obsessed with the past and seem to base 90% of your posts around meaningless s**t from it.

Just because it worked for us then, doesn't mean it is and should be our only way forward. Look at the rest of the competition who can both play exciting football AND make finals, AND win flags with it! I believe we will get there soon and it won't be from defense first football.

I'm so over winning games with what feels like 55-45 average scorelines. I'd rather not play finals if it meant having to play that way, because we're not going to win a flag with that brand of football anyways. It's 2021.

Playing finals doesn't mean much if your game style can't win them. We saw that under Lyon. His defensive strategy came unstuck time and time again against sides with good offense, because we simply could never score enough to win a shootout.

Playing finals doesn't mean much if your game style can't win them. We saw that under Lyon. His defensive strategy came unstuck time and time again against sides with good offense, because we simply could never score enough to win a shootout.
It was also partially due to the forward line Freo had from 2012-15.

Lyon had a limited forward line. Compare that Freo forward line when we made finals and compare it to what the swans, eagles, hawks, port and even what the crows had.

Can’t we have both? I think the game has moved past the defensive teams. Look at last year all the teams could attack & put a score on the board.

The AFL has manipulated rules to encourage higher scoring & free flowing game styles. So if you don’t play attacking- you don’t win games, you don’t have good players want to come play for you, you don’t attract new members, you don’t get prime time games, you don’t get sponsors.

Don’t get me wrong when it’s time to defend, defend fiercely, win the ball, move it quickly & cleanly, take calculated risks and attack hard the focus and kick goals.

Easier said than done I know but with a change in attitude it will be infectious.

Can’t we have both? I think the game has moved past the defensive teams. Look at last year all the teams could attack & put a score on the board.

The AFL has manipulated rules to encourage higher scoring & free flowing game styles. So if you don’t play attacking- you don’t win games, you don’t have good players want to come play for you, you don’t attract new members, you don’t get prime time games, you don’t get sponsors.

Don’t get me wrong when it’s time to defend, defend fiercely, win the ball, move it quickly & cleanly, take calculated risks and attack hard the focus and kick goals.

Easier said than done I know but with a change in attitude it will be infectious.

Speaking of rule changes...i dont think some of our boys understand that if their opponent runs of their line when lining up for goal its play on right?

From what i gather, you have to stand like a statute until you move off your line then its fair game.

Jlo speaks about getting defence right first and the rest will come. I'd be more inclined to do the opposite and get the fwd line sorted. At the end of the day the most goals kicked wins games, not goals stopped.

There were only a handful of us that wanted us to go hard for Mihocek. He or someone in that caliber would be handy right about now.

List management has screwed up the amount of Kpfs and Ruck stock. Too many cut in those positions and never really replaced.
Mihocek is too old. Same age as Tabs I think. It might be useful for 2-3 seasons but then we'd be totally ****ed as they both (+Lobb) all get old and **** together and we haven't been playing young KPFs because we didn't draft any and were too busy playing the other three even if we did.

Unless we thought we were in the window this year, Mihocek didn't make sense. Seems like we aren't.

We need to draft the best KPF prospects we get a look at over the next 2 years and to hope Treacy can quickly get to a level where he is some threat so that one of the 3 (Tabs and Lobb) can get off the chain for 3-4 goals each week. That way Fyfe can be a 90-10 mid and all of our smalls can get in and stay in the game.

We have needed to draft the best KPF available for the last 20 years .
Instead it's been mids, second rate mids and a surplus of half back flankers that can't kick.
Our coaches have been slammed for being to defensive.
With the lists available they have had no choice.

Can’t disagree with much of that. We seem to always use the best available line when drafting but that doesn’t mean taking selections that are consistently devoid of any risk whatsoever. Only risk we seem to take is guys with off field problems and/or injury issues which ultimately backfire on us 90% of the time.

Having said that we’ve used two first round picks in the last three years on forwards for little to no reward so far. Find a key forward this year and actually get Sturt and Henry up and running it might not look too bad. Who knows Treacy may even be that first round KPF we need despite his draft position - I’d still be drafting another one though.

Our mids gave us 1 or 2 goals yesterday.
Blakely and Brayshaw, where was Fyfe, Mundy, Cerra, Serong, Acres etc for goals?
Donuts.
Richmond have a lot of players contributing to goal kicking, this is where we need to concentrate with a severely depleted forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely woeful list management i get there were reasons to offload Hogan and Dardy but not replace them wow, okay we picked up Treacy but even then he was a speculative rookie pick

Look at Adelaide, Sydney and the Hawks scoring yesterday its an offensive game now we’ve been left behind.

There’s also trading as an option. I have no issue drafting best available and them all being defenders - if we then trade to balance the list. Ie we should be packaging up excess quality defenders for a forward.
Cox, Logue, Pearce, Hamling, Hughes Duman, Young - package 1 or 2 of them for a good forward. And yes they are good players - you don’t get quality by trading crabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So 4 rounds in..

God help us if Taberner goes down.

Tabs - 9 goals (2.3)
Switta - 4 goals (1.3)
Darcy - 4 goals (1.3)
Schultz - 4 goals (1.3)
Frederick - 3 goals (1.0)
Colyer - 3 goals (0.8)
Walters - 3 goals (1.5)
Brayshaw - 3 goals (0.8)
Sturt - 1 goal (1.0)

So apart from Tabs the situation is clearly still a work in progress. We've got to pump games into Freddy and Sturt Imo.

Sturt has 'it'. Smart, Skilled and athletic. Just need to get him involved and let him settle. Still only played 5 career games. I feel somewhat confident in saying he is going to be a very good medium forward for us if he can stay injury free.

Freddy is raw but I think everyone can see the potential. Just got to pump games into him.

Walters isn't impacting the games like we know he can. But let's give him a bit of time to settle back in.

Switta looking really good before the finger. Hopefully his recovery goes well and we can get him back in the side.

So 4 rounds in..

God help us if Taberner goes down.

Tabs - 9 goals (2.3)
Switta - 4 goals (1.3)
Darcy - 4 goals (1.3)
Schultz - 4 goals (1.3)
Frederick - 3 goals (1.0)
Colyer - 3 goals (0.8)
Walters - 3 goals (1.5)
Brayshaw - 3 goals (0.8)
Sturt - 1 goal (1.0)

So apart from Tabs the situation is clearly still a work in progress. We've got to pump games into Freddy and Sturt Imo.

Sturt has 'it'. Smart, Skilled and athletic. Just need to get him involved and let him settle. Still only played 5 career games. I feel somewhat confident in saying he is going to be a very good medium forward for us if he can stay injury free.

Freddy is raw but I think everyone can see the potential. Just got to pump games into him.

Walters isn't impacting the games like we know he can. But let's give him a bit of time to settle back in.

Switta looking really good before the finger. Hopefully his recovery goes well and we can get him back in the side.

I'm hating the way Sonny is playing at the moment...Staging, his disposal is so bad I'm wondering whether hes getting his left foot needled.

But he's playing like absolute s**t and the bolded part keeps him in the team

Funny goal kicking list so far. Not many predicted Colyer and Darcy to have added this much scoreboard pressure going by their respective careers.

1.Tabs 17
2 Shultz 10
3. Colyer 6
4. Darcy 6
5. Mundy

Need one of the other talls to start kicking some! Walter's should find form and creep up that list in due course.

Funny goal kicking list so far. Not many predicted Colyer and Darcy to have added this much scoreboard pressure going by their respective careers.

1.Tabs 17
2 Shultz 10
3. Colyer 6
4. Darcy 6
5. Mundy

Need one of the other talls to start kicking some! Walter's should find form and creep up that list in due course.
Need more goals from our mids too. Apart from Mundy none of them have looked threatening to the scoreboard this year.
Finals sides have midfielders who regularly chip in with goals.

Need more goals from our mids too. Apart from Mundy none of them have looked threatening to the scoreboard this year.
Finals sides have midfielders who regularly chip in with goals.

Yep. Aish has had a few chances but besides that 1 goal squandered many. Fyfe the other obvious one.

Back