Autopsy Rd 1, 2021. Blues fight hard but fade late

Who played well for Carlton in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Why
Never seems to be a focus but 'in the back' has I think become the rule I despise most.

It's rarely awarded for genuine incidents, instead being paid when players draw the contact and stage.

Most often cause for it being awarded - players diving forward.

View attachment 1081429

Other times we see it paid - players flopping/staging/appealing.

Here Jack turns and flops to draw contact, instantly appeals, with Jones even managing to keep most of his weight off him.

View attachment 1081441

Times we see it rarely paid - genuine incidents with forceful contact.

Unlike Jack, Harry isn't looking to appeal and accentuate the contact in this example. Why? Because he's just had his head smashed into the ground.

View attachment 1081443

The rule, or rather application of it, shits me to no end.
That last one is in direct eyeline of the umpire too.

Does anyone have a theory on why we looked more spent than them although we had a longer preseason?
More mature bodies who are used to digging deep in a long season. They will have had the pride to come back in ripping nick to win 3 in a row and prove that the off season events didn’t impact the on field performance. Old heads who just know what it takes to win football games therefore controlled tempo and exploded when needed to better deal with fatigue. Pick your poison.

Been struggling to articulate to friends and fam why I'm consciously disengaging this season - you've just nailed it.

You are turning off just at the wrong time ET . Get a grip. I have no doubt you will be back next week after we smash the pies and take it all back . We will forgive your transgressions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe people are still trying to defend Jones after that....

Have a think about it again after you have had the breakfast your mothers made for you ffs.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I can't believe people are still trying to defend Jones after that....

Have a think about it again after you have had the breakfast your mothers made for you ffs.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Our players are still basic at doing the 'footy smart' things during a match.
  • Jones' shambolic attempt at rushing the behind.
  • McKay copping that cheap shot in the ribs when he took the mark on an angle in the forward pocket. Stay down, roll over writhing in pain and get moved to the goal square for an easy shot on goal!
  • Our hopeless attempts to fumble the ball over the boundary line and getting pinged over the years
  • Moving on the mark and not getting pinged (as per Richmond and Hawthorn)
  • Discretely holding on to your opponent who engages, then throwing the arms up so the ump sees it
Yes. We have great integrity. But all these little 'wins' go a long way to winning moments and gaining an advantage. Every other team does it better than us - it's called gamesmanship.

• McKay copping that cheap shot in the ribs when he took the mark on an angle in the forward pocket. Stay down, roll over writhing in pain and get moved to the goal square for an easy shot on goal!
  • Our hopeless attempts to fumble the ball over the boundary line and getting pinged over the years
  • Discretely holding on to your opponent who engages, then throwing the arms up so the ump sees it
Yes. We have great integrity. But all these little 'wins' go a long way to winning moments and gaining an advantage. Every other team does it better than us - it's called gamesmanship.

Aside from getting the crafty “smarts” right, we really are a nice side. We certainly need some mongrel but I don’t want to descend ink dirty tiger territory.

In the end we lost a game of football by 4 goals, one of the bigger losing margins of the opening round. That is reality.

History does not rate the ‘quality’ of losses.

Not good enough.

If I want to see "gamesmanship" I'll watch soccer.

Yeah, that one's been a bug-bear of mine for a while now. If they haven't moved back by the time the player has disposed of the ball, it should be instant 50 in my opinion.

Just on that, I think Richmond are almost the perfect cheats. By that I mean they stretch the rules to the absolute limit to see what they can get away with. Not only in what you've pointed out, but also in:
  • blocking an opponent's ability to contest a marking contest
  • colliding with/bringing an opponent to ground in a marking contest
  • feigning high/illegal contact (a Jack Riewoldt special)
  • illegal disposal, but with a speed that makes it hard to recognise as such
  • and others that I can't remember right now ...
Oh, and things like the "move" that led to the Curnow 50 metre penalty. Sprint towards the player who has a free, veer away at the last second leaving the chaser no choice but to infinge on the "protected area".

I guess it might be characterised as clever, but I wish umpires could be more aware of when they're being manipulated.
Just want to like this a second time...

Arr0w How is it that you are the only poster who didn’t give Walsh 5 votes?

With the amount of forward 50 entries the Tigers had, I thought Weits and Plow did amazing jobs to contain their opponents

Walsh was our best mid, but all our mids, including Walsh were poor with defensive running. Would also like to see him hit the scoreboard more on a consistent basis, which I am sure will come

Aside from getting the crafty “smarts” right, we really are a nice side. We certainly need some mongrel but I don’t want to descend ink dirty tiger territory.

Umpires are human beings - and they dont like being made fools of. So if players start practising 'gaming' and it gets pointed out in video replays - it will be punished over time with boy who cried wolf ignoring. Going in hard and fair is the best way to get umpire positive attention and responses. Harry is his own worst enemy - he is far too stationary as a KPF - allows himself to get sandwiched between defenders pretty much every contest - better if he learns to be constantly moving around into clear space like Budddy does- running in clear space and getting arms choppped is an easier and fairer free kick for umps to hand out - than complaiong about being chopped or mangled surrounded by opposition - lazy players dont get workers compensation relief from umps too often.

Back