Player Watch #21 Errol Gulden - born to play

Remove this Banner Ad

Gulden.jpg

Errol Gulden
[Player Profile TBA]

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or are the academy lads so much more verbally competent than most other recruits?
I'm pretty sure in one of the interviews one of the academy kids said they were taught dinner etiquette as part of their training. I think this is great because it shows the academy tries to produce good people and not just good footballers. I'm sure media is also covered.
Contrast this to the NGAs where the recruit might get the occasional phone call and maybe get to join in training once in a while.

I'm pretty sure in one of the interviews one of the academy kids said they were taught dinner etiquette as part of their training. I think this is great because it shows the academy tries to produce good people and not just good footballers. I'm sure media is also covered.
Contrast this to the NGAs where the recruit might get the occasional phone call and maybe get to join in training once in a while.
Yeah they all learn the knives and forks and three courses stuff. They do roundly develop them. My nephew who I think will be U17s this year in the academy. I asked him a couple of years ago what his point of difference was. I expected pace, hand balling, kickicking etc. No. He said it was his decision making. He was 15 at the time. I was floored. At his age I would not have even known what that meant.

Also showing how much of a nerd I am I say we call Gulden "Owl" since there is an Owl in the Harry Potter books named Errol :cool:

"Gulden speeds away from Mitchell and dobs a miraculous goal from the HFF boundary"

"Wait. What!! The SCG crowd has gone up in unison and a deafening call rings out"

HOOT HOOT. HOOT HOOT.

Given the nocturnal habits of Owls, maybe the Owl call could be reserved for night games.

"Gulden speeds away from Mitchell and dobs a miraculous goal from the HFF boundary"

"Wait. What!! The SCG crowd has gone up in unison and a deafening call rings out"

HOOT HOOT. HOOT HOOT.

Given the nocturnal habits of Owls, maybe the Owl call could be reserved for night games.
I don't give a hoot what he's called, as long as he plays well.

Finishing school for footy players ? How very Hawthorn.

Christmas at the Gulden residence....

"I say Faaaaaather, would you mind passing the potatoes ?"
"Wazzat ?"
"He said he wants some spuds"
"Well he can bloody well get his own"
"Yeah Errol, get yer own, and get me a beer while you're up"
"Get me one too you posh git"
"Now, now. Don't tease Errol"
"Oh Ma-ma, why is everyone being so beastly ?"

Training the house down at pre-season training

"I say Budwaaaah, old chap. Would you mind passing the football ?"
WUMP !
"Waaah, not so hard Budwaaaah"
"Coach, I say coach Sir. Could you ask Budwah to rein in his enthusiasm somewhat"
"Wazzat ?"
"He said ask him not to kick it so hard"
"I'll kick it as hard as I like"
"Yeah, hit him up hard"
"Oh Braeden, why is everyone being so beastly ?

Later in the showers

"I say Dane, my dear old chap. Would you mind passing a towel"
SHWHACK !
"Waaah, you almost took the head off my todger"
"Cox, I say Cox old boy. Would you ask Dane to pass me a towel"
"Cox, Todger ? Make up yer mind, which is it ?"
The boys laugh.
SHWHACK !
"Owww, my bottom. Stop it you brutes or I shall tell matron"
"Oh Kenny, why is everyone being so beastly ?"

"Why is Kenny in the showers ?"

Errol, calling your granddad and mother show how proud your family are of you, and so are us.
Enjoy your debut game.

Thank goodness for AFL supporters in your family:
mother ( "She got a footy in my hands from a very young age"), your grandfather and siblings, Adam playing for our VFL side, sister Senna in Sydney Women's Premier Division.
I hope they can be in Brisbane for your debut :hearteyes:

You can tell he's been playing with a football from an early age. He is really clean with his ball handling, gets in the right positions and is really quick with his decision making. I think he'll move into the middle before too long. The fact he is small and not overly quick is probably the reason he drifted in the draft a little but his football brain makes up for it. Really looking forward to watching what he can bring to the side and I hope he has a great debut. Looks like the conditions should suit him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can tell he's been playing with a football from an early age. He is really clean with his ball handling, gets in the right positions and is really quick with his decision making. I think he'll move into the middle before too long. The fact he is small and not overly quick is probably the reason he drifted in the draft a little but his football brain makes up for it. Really looking forward to watching what he can bring to the side and I hope he has a great debut. Looks like the conditions should suit him.

Wet weather is going to suit Errol - getting in and under :)

Gulden 2020.jpg

Having caught up on the Swans game after being at the Hawks/Essendon game last night, I loved this kids' game. That kind of kicking and decision making going inside 50 from a first gamer blew me away. He looks like an assist machine. Up there with the most impressive debuts I've seen in a long time.

Having caught up on the Swans game after being at the Hawks/Essendon game last night, I loved this kids' game. That kind of kicking and decision making going inside 50 from a first gamer blew me away. He looks like an assist machine. Up there with the most impressive debuts I've seen in a long time.
Any Swans fan will tell our forward 50 entries have been utterly abysmal for a while now. To watch him last night was a hallelujah moment for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back