Analysis Good, Bad, Ugly, and Surprising vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
33 for the 2nd quarter is great... but we ended up with 60 for the entire game. That's 27 tackles in total, for the remaining 3 quarters.

I'm guessing most of those 27 occurred in the 1st quarter. We may well have gone through the second half with a single-digit tackle count!

1st quarter - 25 tackles
2nd - 16
3rd - 7
4th - 12

Also thought Lynch played a good game. Watching the replay and his inside 50s to leading players was great. Having open space for Tex to lead into helps also.

4 goal assists. Should have been five, if Frampton had converted.

Excellent game.

Free kick would have been downfield, so from memory it would have been on the wing.
Okay but when they pay the downfield free and stop the play on the wing, we're waiting for the stretcher to come off and Geelong have set up their defense. Would rather the ball in Tex's hands at the forward 50 line if I had to choose.

I can't really express how happy I am for Taylor Walker. I mean, we can argue about whether he should be our focus at this point in his career, and how we're setting ourselves up in the future, but its hard not to feel good for him.

Tex has been absurdly maligned both by our supporters and by the national media after being the face of the club through every difficult experience you can possibly imagine. That he had become a laughing stock, both on field and as the face of the club's disastrous collapse (power stances etc) was a deep injustice to him: it was drowning out any appreciation of just how good he was in his peak.

If one of the things that happened this year was that Walker's reputation got rehabilitated as a guy who continued to be a quality player and the heart and soul of our club as it tries to rebuild respect that would be a good thing, I think. He deserves to leave the game respected.

Im calling it now that we will be a finals team in 2022.

Our recruitment has been better than most experts thought. We have speed, we have bulk and size in the midfield and a glut of talls finding their feet. 40 more games into these kids over the next two years and more pre season development and we will really be turning heads.

One game doesn't make a season let alone a dynasty. Carlton proves this time and time again. But from what we all saw yesterday I think we can only be confident of the trajectory of the playing list.

Im changing my prediction for this season. I think we will win between 8 to 10 games. So finish somewhere around 10 to 12th.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Okay but when they pay the downfield free and stop the play on the wing, we're waiting for the stretcher to come off and Geelong have set up their defense. Would rather the ball in Tex's hands at the forward 50 line if I had to choose.
We definitely benefited from the non-call... but that's not the point at all. That's simply good luck, in spite of the umpiring incompetence.

I can't really express how happy I am for Taylor Walker. I mean, we can argue about whether he should be our focus at this point in his career, and how we're setting ourselves up in the future, but its hard not to feel good for him.

Tex has been absurdly maligned both by our supporters and by the national media after being the face of the club through every difficult experience you can possibly imagine. That he had become a laughing stock, both on field and as the face of the club's disastrous collapse (power stances etc) was a deep injustice to him: it was drowning out any appreciation of just how good he was in his peak.

If one of the things that happened this year was that Walker's reputation got rehabilitated as a guy who continued to be a quality player and the heart and soul of our club as it tries to rebuild respect that would be a good thing, I think. He deserves to leave the game respected.

Salient.

The physical shape he‘s in now should’ve been the shape he pursued three years ago to play the role he can play now as a veteran, which is not the same as the role he was playing in 2012.

But when you’ve got a football program led by the elite football manager Brett Burton, that just isn’t possible, because other things are more important, like Brett Burton being an elite football manager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference between a Berry 8 possession game and Jones 8 possession game is massive

was shocked when I saw berry only finished with 8 possessions. Seemed so involved. Loved his game
Add Rowe into the mix and we have this new level of fighting to get the ball. But as you say both players can also deliver the ball. Our movement into the forward line was the best I ve see since 2017. The ball was delivered to Tex the way it should be and both Rowe and Berry helped us in this area. On top of that we have Pedlar to come as well. When he's ready he will add more fire for us. But cant get carried away....we need to learn that this level of attacking the ball and the player must reproduced this every week. So still a lot to learn. Really happy at the moment :):):):):)

Last edited:
I feel that supporters have had valid concerns about his form waning, the typical sort of worries you get about players around his age. The years long smear campaign following the GF from the Vic footy media however was uncalled for and disgusting. I wouldn't piss on those people if they were on fire.

Salient.

The physical shape he‘s in now should’ve been the shape he pursued three years ago to play the role he can play now as a veteran, which is not the same as the role he was playing in 2012.

But when you’ve got a football program led by the elite football manager Brett Burton, that just isn’t possible, because other things are more important, like Brett Burton being an elite football manager.

Couldnt get him fit, and compounded that by having terrible coaching and structures, and poor delivery. He didnt stand a chance.

That shouldnt be the memory the AFL holds of Taylor Walker, who has been one of the best skilled key forwards by foot in play, and especially (and I think this is underrated) by handpass. An absolute elite handballer at his best, which we saw return this week.

I feel that supporters have had valid concerns about his form waning, the typical sort of worries you get about players around his age. The years long smear campaign following the GF from the Vic footy media however was uncalled for and disgusting. I wouldn't piss on those people if they were on fire.

You don't stand on the hill I think.

Walker has copped quite a bit of abuse from our fans over the last few years. Some critiques valid, some stupid.

You don't stand on the hill I think.

Walker has copped quite a bit of abuse from our fans over the last few years. Some critiques valid, some stupid.
Sure but his form was pretty excruciating at times. The issue isn't just Taylor though. It's partly about how the game is trending. I think a lot of people are seeing that KPF's who succeed in modern footy are pretty mobile these days. Last year it looked like the pace of the game had gone beyond Walker. Yesterday I saw speed and mobility in him that I hadn't seen in years. It blew me away really.

33 for the 2nd quarter is great... but we ended up with 60 for the entire game. That's 27 tackles in total, for the remaining 3 quarters.

I'm guessing most of those 27 occurred in the 1st quarter. We may well have gone through the second half with a single-digit tackle count!
Fatigue to kids on a warm day.

Not often you can go to the Footy in shorts and thongs.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sure but his form was pretty excruciating at times. The issue isn't just Taylor though. It's partly about how the game is trending. I think a lot of people are seeing that KPF's who succeed in modern footy are pretty mobile these days. Last year it looked like the pace of the game had gone beyond Walker. Yesterday I saw speed and mobility in him that I hadn't seen in years. It blew me away really.

I don't think you get where I'm coming from though. I'm not complaining that all criticism was unfair or whatever or running a 'fans must say nice things' racket.

I just don't want that to be how he's remembered: i.e. I'm really glad he looked the goods.

I reckon Tim Farham has been an influence with Tex's fitness.

That and some real competition with Tillthorpe, Fog, Hberg, Frampton and even McAsey.

Great to see. A fit and firing Tex is great for our side and in particular the kids playing with him.

I think you miss the point.

This view of women IS part of the problem. It is a toxic view of femininity that they are delicate and easily offended. It pigeon-holes women in both their eyes and the eyes of men.

It is as antiquated and un-necessary. Women have freedom to be vulgar and shouldn’t be told that they have to be proper and only talk the way that women are expected to.
Na Mate it does not matter what the point is, Read the Room, Maybe even read or listen to the latest News,

I reckon Tim Farham has been an influence with Tex's fitness.

That and some real competition with Tillthorpe, Fog, Hberg, Frampton and even McAsey.

Great to see. A fit and firing Tex is great for our side and in particular the kids playing with him.

While Tex Fitness is Good I think Nicks hit the nail on the Head, better disposal into the Forward line was the biggest difference between Tex 2020 and Tex 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back