Analysis Good, Bad, Ugly, and Surprising vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time poster, long time lurker.
Soo happy with that performance.
No mater what happens for the rest of the year, we have hope.

We looked 1000% better with only 2 “key” forwards. So much more zip and energy.
Great win.
Back to lurking in the background.
Wow 14 year member and your first post! Must have been a good win 🙂

Um... what does that have to do with Smiths lunges? I said ALSO. It was desperation we haven’t seen from most players.

sorry
Didnt mean to quote you
Meant to reply here
There was a chase and tackle in the fourth Qtr against Dangerfield. I couldn't identify the player (I think it was No17 Hamill) but he just didnt give in. It looked like he would lose out but he hug in there. I was so bloody impressed. For me it reflected the whole teams attitude. I didnt expect to see that level of aggression and determination at all but so very very impressed. Now to repeat it next week.

What a fantastic win, I cant remember enjoying a game that much for years.. I had to explain the tears as a delayed reaction to the chilli's at the Thai Festival ..

Yep. Based on last year's evidence. He's a better ruck and set shot. He would have kicked that one in the third.
Not counting 2021 results
Himmleberg is not a better Set shot, he running at close to 50%, on set shots, Frampton running close to 70%
And 2020 Himmelberg was less than 50%.

Yep. Based on last year's evidence. He's a better ruck and set shot. He would have kicked that one in the third.
Better Ruck? I'd question that after watching Billy closely this season. Not too sure about the goal kicking either...

Not counting 2021 results
Himmleberg is not a better Set shot, he running at close to 50%, on set shots, Frampton running close to 70%
And 2020 Himmelberg was less than 50%.
Berg kicked crucial goals for us last year. He has better technique. I'm not knocking Billy and he deserves to keep his spot. But I prefer Berg's defensive efforts and overall skill set. Anyway they are both warming the seat for our pick 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was just a week ago that someome asked me where the Crows are at, and I said that it's time for Tex to bow out and it will be a long reconstruction process.

I was being realistic and not expecting much of the Crows this year.

Well realism went out the window just for one day. I am still shocked that we won. Now this doesn't mean that we're going to do great things, shoot up the ladder or make the eight. This might be one of only five or so games we win for the season. Yet this (and our strong finish to 2020) show that the heart, ripped out of this footy club after the 2017 grand final loss, is regrowing.

Getting rid of some real dud coaches and Fagan seems to be paying dividends already. I hope the courage of this win reflects an emerging and GENUINE cultural change in the club. Dare I say a Walsh-esque change?

While Tex Fitness is Good I think Nicks hit the nail on the Head, better disposal into the Forward line was the biggest difference between Tex 2020 and Tex 2021.
Our new game style of fast ball movement and lowering the eyes suits a lead up forward.....

Tex is the most natural lead up forward in the game

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good. Winning. Proving cats are over rated. They kicked two goals in the last half of the GF. Gets overlooked. They are miles off a flag. And Tex. well done great man. And Sholl. Good things happen when the ball is in his hands.

Bad. Injuries. Always hate to see injuries.

Ugly. Thought of what a silly man Stengle is. He would complement this team so well.

Surprising. Our midfield is working towards being a top six midfield. Berry and Schoey bring the speed, need to get Pedlar in as soon as he is fit.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Good:

1st half pressure and intensity - if we can bring that in even 50% of games this year, we’ll put ourselves in winning positions

Berry’s tackling - you just don’t see that from 18 year old debutants. 5 tackles in the first qtr alone! Looks a certain 200 game player for the club, injury-permitting of course. Kudos to Hamish and co there.

Tex’s first half - just wow. One of the better halves of footy of his career.

Hamill and Murphy’s chase-down tackles - both came at key moments and were huge efforts.

Murphy’s goal from the boundary line - goal of the week contender

Frampton - I never would have selected him in a million years based on what I saw in 2020, but maybe the penny has dropped. Looked at home at the level.

McHenry - very impressed with his game. The major question marks for me coming in were his decision making, ability to hit the scoreboard, and ability to find the ball full stop. He did all things well which was a massive plus.

Sholl - such a Rolls Royce, and covered 17km during the game so his fitness is ELITE

Sloane’s desire and gut running - he bleeds for the jumper and yesterday it was infectious

Butts - what a job by the kid! Taking on the best key forward in the comp / reigning Coleman medallist and gives him a bath, despite the injury carnage going on around him.

McAdam’s mark - no doubt a Mark of the Week contender

The effort of Ben Keays - look, his skills were pretty poor all day, but nobody out there tried harder. Has been a great pickup.

Tex’s goal out of the ruck - particularly satisfying because the opposing ruckman was Jenkins

Bad:

Not much from our end really. Even though we came close to blowing a 7 goal lead, the injuries were the main reason why IMO. Nobody could keep running because they weren’t able to get adequate rest. This led to us playing slow and deliberate footy which we simply aren’t good at.

Ugly:

Injuries in general

Kelly’s head knock - Danger is getting 2-3 weeks for that and if he doesn’t, it is clear manipulation and protection of a star by the AFL. The rules are clear, and the only thing in question is whether the contact is graded as “high impact” (2 weeks) or “severe impact” (3 weeks). I can certainly make an argument for either of those. There is no argument relating to the accidental head contact though - he’s cooked.

Josh Jenkins’ prospects of ever playing another AFL game

Watched the game this morning again and some many positives

Tex, Sloane and Lynch best games for 12 mths

Butts played like a veteran and has great agility and closing speed

Jimmy Rowe, high footy IQ and Ned's most efficient for the club

Billy didn't do much however when it was his turn he played his role and was important to our structure

Berry, one of the best AFC debuts that we have seen for a long time

Schoenberg didn't show much in the pre-season games however was clean and lowered his eyes

Doedee leadership down back can't be underestimated

Scholl is a JET

McPherson and Hamill work so hard off the ball and do all the little un-notivable things

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would have picked Berg over Frampton, too, and ultimately think Berg is the better long term prospect. But stoked that Frampton is performing because it is forcing Berg to grab the spot back. He'll either do so, or wilt, which we need to find out anyway. Competition for spots is everything.

Finally sat down to watch the replay. Still on a high after that.

Great:
- Our intensity in the first half. Haven’t seen a Crows team chase and harass like that for a fair while.
- Being able to hang on with no Brown, no Kelly, Hinge with 1 arm and Hamill on 1 leg in defence. Can definitely see Nicks’ importance on running both ways as a midfield may finally be rubbing off on them.
-Tex winding back the clock
- The Crowd. Fair dinkum it hasn’t been that loud since the Prelim in 2017, and it was with half the crowd! The roar when Tex marked it on the wing with 3 seconds left was as if he’d just dobbed one from 60 after the siren to win the game.

Good:
- Everyone played a role
- Butts did an excellent job on Hawkins
- Rowe and McHenry scoring their first goals for the club
- Shout outs to McAdam, Hinge and Hamill, for clearly playing through pain just to allow us some rotations.

Bad:
-Injuries.

Ugly:
-Dangerfield wanting petty revenge after being run down by Hamill. Poor Kelly had to cop it. He has to go for that bump.
-Jenkins. Lol.

One thing I noticed when Bull got smashed. Danger got up and started walking away. Another Geelong player went straight to Bull waiving to the sidelines for assistance.
Was a nice touch (I couldn’t work out the player because it was a long shot)
Pretty sure it was hawkins. I liked it.
It was Josh Jenkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back