Review Round 1, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This was obvious. Fagan himself said he's not a tactician. He leaves the people around him to make the decisions, while he conveys it to the players. He's an excellent man manager coach, but he needs strong people around him. If he doesn't, then we will only fall back. Noble was a huge loss and now it seems like he might be the brains behind the whole operation.

Quality melt after 1 game. You really do know how to be extra dramatic.

All credit to Sydney - they smashed us tonight and we really did look second rate.

The most glaring thing for me out of last nights game was the lack of leadership. No one put their hand up and said ‘Follow me boys.’ Zorks should be pretty disappointed with his lack of discipline and needs to be a better role model than that. Andrews looked a bit lost, as did Neale. Those 3 in particular need to really bring their A game next week.

It’s a very even competition and if it takes us 2-3 weeks to find our mojo and blow out the cobwebs, then it could be an uphill battle to claim a top 4 spot.

Hoping and expecting a big improvement in regards to attitude and pressure against the Cats.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I hope if Deven's ready we just leave him in the middle to win the footy.
He looked a natural in all the junior highlights, let him do what he does best.

Interesting points.

The facts are they were dynamite in how they utilised the advantage with the guys upfield seeming to know where it was going and our backline half not believing that it would go there , and we didn't seem to get any advantage out of it at all ,just playing our usual game , and not that well.

So I think there'll be some in depth analysis that probably started today.

Yep, Swans looked very well drilled to take advantage of the rule change. Even subtle things like standing over the opposition player under the premise of "stand", going to the ball but turning around and "standing".. they did so many little things which was giving them the 5 second advantage to reset the play. We were not switched on to do something in return and umpires were not pinging the Swans for it either.

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - I didn't post these last season, so if you've never seen them before, these are how often each of your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids (inside + wing) at bounces.

Overall Summary - 36 Bounces

McCluggage 32 wing
Neale 30
Lyons 23
Robinson 22 (18w, 4i)
Sharp 20 wing
J.Berry 18 (2w)
Bailey 12
Zorko 10
Cameron 10
McCarthy 3

Rucks

McInerney 28
Fullarton 5
Daniher 3

Centre Clearance
Neale 4
Lyons 4
Cameron 3
Big O 2
Zorko 2
Bailey 1
Coleman 1
Robinson 1
McCluggage 1

By Quarter - Q1

McCluggage 5 wing
Neale 5
Robinson 5 wing
J.Berry 5
Bailey 4
Lyons 2
Sharp 2 wing
Zorko 1
McCarthy 1

Q2

McCluggage 10 wing
Neale 10
Lyons 9
J.Berry 7 (2w)
Robinson 6 wing
Sharp 6 wing
Zorko 6
Bailey 5
Cameron 1

Q3

McCluggage 11 wing
Neale 9
Lyons 7
Robinson 6 (5w, 1i)
Sharp 6 wing
Cameron 6
J.Berry 4
Bailey 2
Zorko 2
McCarthy 2

Q4

McCluggage 6 wing
Neale 6
Sharp 6 wing
Lyons 5
Robinson 5 (3i, 2w)
Cameron 3
J.Berry 2
Bailey 1
Zorko 1

Thanks for the summary mate

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep, Swans looked very well drilled to take advantage of the rule change. Even subtle things like standing over the opposition player under the premise of "stand", going to the ball but turning around and "standing".. they did so many little things which was giving them the 5 second advantage to reset the play. We were not switched on to do something in return and umpires were not pinging the Swans for it either.

Swans have played the short kick and hold boring game style quite a lot over the years. New rule is tailor made for that style so not surprised they were able to understand he impacts and adjust to the new rule quickly.

FWIW my two bobs worth.

I was at the game and have had a chance to view the entire game replay today and I am no expert and others posters will have more knowledge than me, and naturally different opinions.
1. Apart from the first 10 or so minutes our mids got beat. Same last year in the Prelim: and same in the first half against the Suns in the Community game. There was little two way running, with Lyons noticeable on a few occasions. Neal had a very off night and Hugh was very ordinary. I also think Berry struggled, and I have not looked at the stats but would think we got beaten in the contested possessions and the stoppages.

2. Bailey gave away a few penalties but he also scored a few goals and was having a go. Still learning his craft in the midfield, and I am a fan. Any day of the week I will take Bailey giving away a few penalties (not that I think they all were) and having a 'dig', and backing himself.

3. Second Q: many goals and scoring opportunities came from around the centre half backline, with Swan players finding plenty of space and scoring opportunities, lack of running back from some in the midfield and loose marking across the centre half back line created too many opportunities.

4. Rich is not under immediate pressure but his marking was loose at times and Geelong exploited this in the prelim: He certainly took a few incept marks in the first half yesterday but can be prone to be exposed on the quick turnover.

5. Playing back shoulder can be problematic when Lester was consistently out-marked by a faster Heeney, and Birchall offered very little, and was involved in a few turnovers. I have not looked at Birchall's stats but they can be misleading with a few cheap uncontested marks and easy kicks. Birchall and Lester, IMO are too slow. Answerth played in the ressies yesterday and probably needs another couple of weeks, so Birchall probably safe, especially against Geelong. Gardner in for Lester, who might become 23rd man next week.

6. Any thoughts that Payne was towelled up by a debutant, are not entirely accurate. At the ground it is obvious that Payne (and defensive unit) play mostly a zone type defence and Payne was mostly marking Reid for the game. When Reid was relieving in the ruck or pushed up ground like when he kicked his second goal, outside of 50, Payne was in the goal square marking McDonald. McDonalds first goal was against Andrews. That said Payne appeared to give McDonald a little too much room, and looked a little slower than usual, and this allowed McDonald to take a few lead up possessions and kick his 2nd goal. Calls to drop Payne after a total of 6 games for Adams is premature and I recall how Adams played in round 1 last year against Hawthorne.

7. Been said by others, but Andrews and Hippy two of our usually better performers were out of sorts. Andrews playing across the centre half back line should have rallied the troops as there were many goals and shots from around that area, especially the 2nd Q. There needed to be some accountability for 1v1.

8. Ah Chee also had a very average night, and suspect he might be a better option in the forward pocket. Charlie could not get going. Sydney are known as a good defensive unit and when our mids are getting beat, it makes it difficult for the forwards with the lack of quality of the inside 50's.

Would like to see Ely Smith, rewarded for a strong preseason with a game against Geelong next Friday night. Thought Sharp was fine for his debut, but Ely in the mid field and Hugh back out to the wing.
We lost last year in round 1 also, although it was at the MCG and not the GABBA, it could be that next week we are 0-2, but is a long season. Hopefully this week a few 'rockets' are delivered as part of the review and we see a more accountable performance.

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - I didn't post these last season, so if you've never seen them before, these are how often each of your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids (inside + wing) at bounces.

Overall Summary - 36 Bounces

McCluggage 32 wing
Neale 30
Lyons 23
Robinson 22 (18w, 4i)
Sharp 20 wing
J.Berry 18 (2w)
Bailey 12
Zorko 10
Cameron 10
McCarthy 3

Rucks

McInerney 28
Fullarton 5
Daniher 3

Centre Clearance
Neale 4
Lyons 4
Cameron 3
Big O 2
Zorko 2
Bailey 1
Coleman 1
Robinson 1
McCluggage 1

By Quarter - Q1

McCluggage 5 wing
Neale 5
Robinson 5 wing
J.Berry 5
Bailey 4
Lyons 2
Sharp 2 wing
Zorko 1
McCarthy 1

Q2

McCluggage 10 wing
Neale 10
Lyons 9
J.Berry 7 (2w)
Robinson 6 wing
Sharp 6 wing
Zorko 6
Bailey 5
Cameron 1

Q3

McCluggage 11 wing
Neale 9
Lyons 7
Robinson 6 (5w, 1i)
Sharp 6 wing
Cameron 6
J.Berry 4
Bailey 2
Zorko 2
McCarthy 2

Q4

McCluggage 6 wing
Neale 6
Sharp 6 wing
Lyons 5
Robinson 5 (3i, 2w)
Cameron 3
J.Berry 2
Bailey 1
Zorko 1
Great stats, thanks.

The interesting one in there is that McCluggage did not go to one centre bounce, I'd like to see him tried in there, he's a smart footballer, also like McCarthy in at the bounce more... he only went there 4 times.

Charlie in 10 times for 3 clearances is good, like to see him be the receiver on the outside at the bounces if possible.

I hope if Deven's ready we just leave him in the middle to win the footy.
He looked a natural in all the junior highlights, let him do what he does best.
Yup, what I’ve been saying for 15 months.

Have Deven, Neale and Lyons as our three main ball winners. Two of the three should be on the field at any one time.

Berry, McCluggage and Bailey as our three outside mids who play the wing positions and can rotate on ball.

Then either Mathieson or Ely as the seventh mid.

Zorko and McCarthy can both rotate through centre bounces as well.

If/when Cockatoo is ready, which ever of Mathieson or Ely can make way for him.

An ordinary night where our usual premiums were absent. McCluggage had a night to forget. A true shocker. Neale not ar behind. Memo to Oscar- if skinny boundary umps find it hard to throw the distance, start in front. Not a first-time reminder.

And remind me- why was a still clearly overweight Birchall brought into the side. Hard running??? Defensive pressure??? Skilfull incisive kicking into the forward line??? All I saw was lack of running, no linkage with fellow backs, sideways kicking, etc etc.

Hard to pin it on any one bloke but Birchall was a standout. And it was cruel to throw a lightly framed kid in his first game into a pressure contest. This is poor thinking.

What we clearly need is bigger frames, harder bodies. Gotta find a few.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something else that was noticeable, was that our defenders almost always looked for Rich and Birchall to pass to in the defensive 50, rather than taking the game on themselves.

It was like they were very timid to go themselves, or unsure of what they were supposed to do.

Something else that was noticeable, was that our defenders almost always looked for Rich and Birchall to pass to in the defensive 50, rather than taking the game on themselves.

It was like they were very timid to go themselves, or unsure of what they were supposed to do.
Now that you mention it that was something very prevalent all night. We went to Rich and Birchall when they were often in inferior positions and completely destroyed any potential momentum.

Likewise why don't we just let Rich ping it long into the forward line when he's on the run and get someone running on to it. Every time he goes short into the forward line it's to a 1 on 1 .Last night they were easily turned over.

Whatever our gameplan was out of defence it didn't work last night through a combination of ineffective execution on our part, a superior opposition who seemed to know in advance what we'd do , and perhaps the new rules which we didn't adapt to advantage.

Yes, noticed that as well, the only other one I remember was Jack Payne performing one really accurate long kick along the southern wing.

Was talking to my son about the game again this morning and we agreed that the whole thing came down to a lack of intensity and hunger for the contest, once that drops off skills and game system slip as well.

We looked horrible last night but I don't think the fix is as hard as it appears to be, just regain the hunger, desire and intensity we have had in the most part over the last 2 seasons and we will turn it around.

That's what happened in the intraclub and Suns game so not surprising
Will they keep being predictable in that area is the question
In principle that is okay but you just can't overdo it.

I hope we bring in Dev or Matho with the instruction to be a defensive midfielder to compensate for Lyons and Neale lack of defensive running.

Lyons ran hard defensively last night. At times he was the only one doing so.

After tonight, I don't think it is too unreasonable, with or without an attitude adjustment, that it is highly feasible that the best we can hope for after 4 rounds is to be 1 and 3, with 0 and 4 a distinct possibility. I don't think we're any chance against Geelong and Footscray, with both games up the bush.

It's possible. There are many little changes like Mark Stone in the tactician seat giving instructions to Fagan over headset, Fagan operating without Noble, Danny Daly in a new role with match day interaction responsibilities with the team, Daniher playing deep, Charlie not being the main guy etc etc. I can keep going. Adding to all that when our team decides to play at a poor effort level overall it just becomes a big issue to fix on top of all this new setup.

However this team has played together for 2-3 seasons now and has a mature midfield core. Coach will demand a response and there'll be a response next week of some sorts. Will we win against Geelong? don't know. Will we figure out how to make these new combinations work? Absolutely. Regardless of whether it takes 4 or 8 rounds. We'll click this season eventually.

Lyons ran hard defensively last night. At times he was the only one doing so.

He was giving second and third efforts chasing different ball carriers in the third and last quarter. Too bad the rest didn't man up. I think he was addressing the whole playing group as well before they left the field in the end.

Easy to pick out those second tier level players who didn’t perform and should be dropped next week but the fact of the matter is it’s more of a concern those in out top ten who didn’t perform. Dropping Birchall or Robbo isn’t going to make any difference if Zorko, Neale or Charlie and the likes aren’t performing at the level they should be.

Easy to pick out those second tier level players who didn’t perform and should be dropped next week but the fact of the matter is it’s more of a concern those in out top ten who didn’t perform. Dropping Birchall or Robbo isn’t going to make any difference if Zorko, Neale or Charlie and the likes aren’t performing at the level they should be.
You don't drop players of that level with as many runs on the board over an extended period after 1 or 2 bad performances, however Robbo and Birch's form is not what should be expected not only yesterday but for the majority of 2020.

How much strategy are we losing with Danny Daly stepping into Nobes role? I think I remember us hiring someone to take Daly’s role but this would be someone new to the club with less insight into how the team functions. We didn’t look like a team proactive to changes occurring within the game at all.

Ruck situation is also a concern, not only Oscar being beaten by Hickey but Fullerton did not look up to it as a ruckman either. Big questions to be answered over the next few weeks.

How much strategy are we losing with Danny Daly stepping into Nobes role? I think I remember us hiring someone to take Daly’s role but this would be someone new to the club with less insight into how the team functions. We didn’t look like a team proactive to changes occurring within the game at all.

Ruck situation is also a concern, not only Oscar being beaten by Hickey but Fullerton did not look up to it as a ruckman either. Big questions to be answered over the next few weeks.

A lot of questions that require far more than one game to answer.

Back