Drafting

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats have won as many flags as Collingwood in recent years. There is no evidence their list management strategy is any better than ours.
Wat? They’ve won 3 to our 1 in the last 30 years. You’re taking the piss yeah?

Injures happen to key players -Howe, Langdon JDG, last year were covered.
We have picked promising kids, our list now is 13th youngest, with a very good young core group,
Not sure luck has anything to do with 2021 draft because if ND was not there we may well have chosen a very different approach to that, and the 2020 draft.
Its exactly because of ND we piled into the 2020 draft in a big way.

Let’s also remember we now have sizeable Cap space to attract a gun.

I’d like to reiterate no one is supporting your views. No one is comfortable with our current position and you aside no one is defending the club. This for me is about how we approach fixing the mess our list is currently in and that hinges on how the next 6 weeks unfolds.

There will be further change within the FD, that much is certain, and for mine we need to wait on what that looks like. Going gung ho on it with a sample size of 1 is not the solution when other teams that finished top 6 in 2020 lost in more humiliating fashion.

Wat? They’ve won 3 to our 1 in the last 30 years. You’re taking the piss yeah?

In fairness I think TFT was saying both have won none in the period raised in the thread. I think their list management is inherently better than ours though given they played in a GF last year and then went and landed the best player on the market post 2020.

In fairness I think TFT was saying both have won none in the period raised in the thread. I think their list management is inherently better than ours though given they played in a GF last year and then went and landed the best player on the market post 2020.
Add to that, how many times have they missed finals in the last 15 years? Once? Twice? Add to that, that they’ve managed to lure the most in demand FA on the market twice. Their recent record is far superior to ours.

I’d like to reiterate no one is supporting your views. No one is comfortable with our current position and you aside no one is defending the club. This for me is about how we approach fixing the mess our list is currently in and that hinges on how the next 6 weeks unfolds.

There will be further change within the FD, that much is certain, and for mine we need to wait on what that looks like. Going gung ho on it with a sample size of 1 is not the solution when other teams that finished top 6 in 2020 lost in more humiliating fashion.

I’m not concerned about popularity - it’s just my opinion.
And it’s frankly incorrect everyone has a downcast view on the club except for myself.
If you’re disinclined to respond to my post that fines, because resorting to rrelevant and lame put downs is not necessary.

Last edited:
should have let Cox, Phillips and Langdon(bum knees) walk
without these critically mismanaged decisions we could have a war chest available
criminal mismanagement
Not sure I would agree on Cox. Love to know how how we would have gone in the finals if he hadn't injured his eye.

He is getting better in the ruck and if only he could use his body better in marking contest. Think that over the period he isn't our worst in terms of $$$.

Also given how Moore and Elliot have played over past few months their LTI really hurt us in the hunt for the elusive flag.

Last edited:
Our drafting and trading, even our contracts are a complete shitshow, it’s so bad and there are so many painful examples of poor decision making that I can’t bear to think about them any more.

We just have to pray, to a God I don’t even believe exists, that one of the guys we drafted this year turns out to be an actual gun and then Nicky D is what we think he might be.

and Hopefully then Wright Sacks everyone in the Footy Department accept himself or anyone who was Hired over the last Pre-Season

How would that be Possible?
- I'd be open to trading a big-name player but it would have to be either after the selection of Daics / for a developing gun KPF (eg McDonald) / of a few first rounders in 2022
Given the right price I’m open to trading anyone
I’d want something significant but I’d be open to trading Grundy first
Maybe a full rebuild but it’s amazing how quickly thinks change

It prob won’t happen but a trade of (hypothetically) Grundy nets us Mc Donald and a pick (to use on another small pressure forward)- trading in a developing KPD in McAsey...list looks completely different

Combine this with a number of young mids coming through (+ add Daics), a KP in McMahon, medium forward in Henry and suddenly we’re back in action

Not doubt we need to be shrewd but bold and assured in our trading and drafting but there’s hope

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Hine can deliver a key forward. I understand your misgivings considering his history. This is where I think the football boss needs to step in and provide the direction. Require it as a trade focus or to be addressed with high picks.
It will seem churlish of me to say so, as we were all happy with Stephenson after year 1, but we must learn the lesson that if you have an early pick for once, and a KPP of Naughton’s ability is there, you have to take them because you might not be picking in the top 5-6 again for a while.

For what it’s worth, if people want to go back and check my posting history, I was for picking Naughton at the time so I’m not just speaking with hindsight.

Injures happen to key players -Howe, Langdon JDG, last year were covered.
We have picked promising kids, our list now is 13th youngest, with a very good young core group,
Not sure luck has anything to do with 2021 draft because if ND was not there we may well have chosen a very different approach to that, and the 2020 draft.
Its exactly because of ND we piled into the 2020 draft in a big way.

Let’s also remember we now have sizeable Cap space to attract a gun.

Is 13th youngest not another way of saying 6th oldest? Thats not necessarily promising. Obviously our abundance of 30+ year olds skews that number somewhat, but it exposes some glaring holes.

We have very few players between 22 and 28 that are either in their prime or coming into it. The promising kids that we've picked up need game time early on in the season to see what they're capable of. The over 30 guys aren't likely to be around for much longer and realistically we cant expect them to perform at their best as time goes on.

The very good young core group that you mention only contains Grundy (26), Moore (25), Maynard (24), Crisp (27), Adams (27) and De Goey (25). I know that some of you would throw Noble, IQ, Daicos in that group as well, but I still think there's some serious question marks on all those guys.

Given the imbalance on our list, why would we go shopping at the end of the year for a gun FA? We're not in a position where 1 player will carry us over the line. We need an overhaul and a stroke of luck that the guys we've drafted actually come good.

It will seem churlish of me to say so, as we were all happy with Stephenson after year 1, but we must learn the lesson that if you have an early pick for once, and a KPP of Naughton’s ability is there, you have to take them because you might not be picking in the top 5-6 again for a while.

For what it’s worth, if people want to go back and check my posting history, I was for picking Naughton at the time so I’m not just speaking with hindsight.

Yeah I agree. It's a risk going early on key forwards, but to me it's a bigger risk failing to do so. I hope that's something that when we review our decision making we identify and rectify. If we do I reckon Hine will pick em' fine.

Is 13th youngest not another way of saying 6th oldest? Thats not necessarily promising. Obviously our abundance of 30+ year olds skews that number somewhat, but it exposes some glaring holes.

We have very few players between 22 and 28 that are either in their prime or coming into it. The promising kids that we've picked up need game time early on in the season to see what they're capable of. The over 30 guys aren't likely to be around for much longer and realistically we cant expect them to perform at their best as time goes on.

The very good young core group that you mention only contains Grundy (26), Moore (25), Maynard (24), Crisp (27), Adams (27) and De Goey (25). I know that some of you would throw Noble, IQ, Daicos in that group as well, but I still think there's some serious question marks on all those guys.

Given the imbalance on our list, why would we go shopping at the end of the year for a gun FA? We're not in a position where 1 player will carry us over the line. We need an overhaul and a stroke of luck that the guys we've drafted actually come good.

Per link below - 12 th on average age.
We have same number of 21-28 yolds as Rich and Port

I question whether T Brown, Murphy and Kelly (all 21 or under) are set in stone, but all power to you for that proclamation. I’m likewise down on Sier, I think Brown was a victim of the way the game played out on Friday and I don’t share the faith in Daicos (I’m waiting a little to share my views on what 2021 and 2022 mean for him), but things evolve quickly. Macrae coming in and having an impact changes the dynamic (he’s the one I’m certain on) because I’m he goes top 5 with a top age year under his belt. The key is that the coaching group keep the faith rather than reverting to type with Mayne and Greenwood.

Hine was a loud voice on the list management committee for one off season and he fluffed his lines on the Murray deal. Surrounded by that we had Gubby and Guy throwing money around like rice at a wedding chasing players that weren’t right for us and giving up highly valued assets in the process. It’s hamstrung Hine and the only time he’s found value since, IMO, was at the last draft due to the crafty moves we made on draft night. Again though it was out of his control.

I get it it’s tough right now to see the forest for the trees, but sit tight our Rd 1 performance in 2018 was worse and there’ll be time later in the season to take shots because this will be Buckley’s final year, IMO. I’m also not trying to do a Spinny and persuade you of something we both know isn’t true. My take is only to hold on a little longer before going all in on the demise of Hine and those drafted in those five drafts.
You not a fan of daicos?

Add to that, how many times have they missed finals in the last 15 years? Once? Twice? Add to that, that they’ve managed to lure the most in demand FA on the market twice. Their recent record is far superior to ours.

when you have a massive HGA that guarantees 8-9 wins making the Top 8 is easy.
After they lost their first final last year they’d lost 12/16, a 75% loss rate.
I think that is a telling stat given how HGA is a distortion in truly assessing Geelongs quality, based on end of season ladder position.

riley bonner or brayden sier? Derek Hine had the choice in 2015.....

Well you know being one game into the first season they’ll hopefully receive full exposure might be one reason. What if Sier, T Brown, Daicos, IQ and Murphy are in our best next week in a big win over Carlton? Do we then go back to loving Hine?

Personally it’s obvious that list management was the issue. If we don’t trade for Beams we get an extra first round pick in that period and have the cap space to retain Phillips and Stephenson. The discussion takes on a completely different complexion.

I get it you’re off us right now it’s hard not to be after Friday night and you’ve made it very clear these past 3 months, but give it 4-6 weeks of actual games. A week is a long time in footy and threads like this sometimes don’t age well. In a months time the Bulldogs might be 5-0 with a % of 150 and we look back going in the scheme of things we held up well.

FWIW I’m teetering and want to see how we respond. A follow up insipid performance will tell us more about the coach than the talent though, IMO. By that I mean if we’re similarly flat on Thursday I’d question whether Buckley still has the group. That’s my concern after the events of last off season not the talent at our disposal. The group clearly loved Treloar that much was clear on Friday and sometimes effort is more important than talent.
Agree, we will see if Bucks has the players. Not clear yet.

You not a fan of daicos?

He’s a nice player, but I’m not sure he’s going to be more than that. For me if he’s to reach the standard that many see in him on here he needs to step up to the level Bolton did in 2020. He was as far off that on Friday night as Grundy was his 18-19 form. Perhaps it was the role (he’s not a small forward), but he needs to lift and should be as under the pump as Sier, IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back