Review Round 1, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Something else that was noticeable, was that our defenders almost always looked for Rich and Birchall to pass to in the defensive 50, rather than taking the game on themselves.

It was like they were very timid to go themselves, or unsure of what they were supposed to do.
This is a valid point. I do suspect Payne at this stage (and playing virtually as fullback) is worried about taking it on, because if he gets caught inside the 50 probably leads to a goal. With more experience, would love to see him take it on like a Darcy Moore. Darcy Moore was very good in a beaten side on Friday night. I still have hope that if he develops Payne's becomes a CHB.

Starc does at times attempt to take it on, but Sydney's pressure was good, and again if playing deep concerned about giving away a free within kicking range.

Answerth does attempt to take it on and provide some run, but on occasions his disposal can let him down. Hopefully he might be back in a few weeks, and that is when Birchall may be under pressure to retain his spot.

Because we have a slow backline Rich, Birchall, Lester and Harris not overly quick, they probably look to Birchall or Rich for that penetrating kick to create run. I think if Gardner and Answerth come in for Birchall and Lester we might see a slightly different approach.

He was giving second and third efforts chasing different ball carriers in the third and last quarter. Too bad the rest didn't man up. I think he was addressing the whole playing group as well before they left the field in the end.
Lyons must have got a 'rocket' at half time, resulting in him putting in the effort in the second half, because there were a few occasions in the first half where his lack of two way running and lack of speed led to a Swans player running unmarked into our defensive 50. This occurred more than once. One occasion in the 2nd Q, whilst Lyons is running back he is yelling out to Oscar to try and make up the ground on I think it was Mills, who took an uncontested mark across the half back line and scored one of those many goals the Swans scored early in the 2nd Q.

Is it possible Clugga is having a sook about not being moved into the centre square? We have flirted with putting him in there a few times over the last couple of years and then moved him out pretty quickly. Maybe he feels it's time for him to be a regular in the middle and the coaching staff disagree? I know it's complete speculation but he is off his game at the moment.

Something else that was noticeable, was that our defenders almost always looked for Rich and Birchall to pass to in the defensive 50, rather than taking the game on themselves.

It was like they were very timid to go themselves, or unsure of what they were supposed to do.

I'm not a Birchall fan but even I have to admit there were a few hospital passes that made him look extra bad.

It hurt to say that.

Is it possible Clugga is having a sook about not being moved into the centre square? We have flirted with putting him in there a few times over the last couple of years and then moved him out pretty quickly. Maybe he feels it's time for him to be a regular in the middle and the coaching staff disagree? I know it's complete speculation but he is off his game at the moment.

Yeah definitely. It’s very clear Fagan doesn’t listen to the players and has terrible communication skills.

Too many selfish acts from too many players. Zac Bailey (apart from his goals early) needs to look at options before trying to make himself famous. Our Captain very undisciplined and others in the leadership group should be leading the way instead of being the villains. Expect next week to be a significantly different style of footy from our guys.

Too many selfish acts from too many players. Zac Bailey (apart from his goals early) needs to look at options before trying to make himself famous. Our Captain very undisciplined and others in the leadership group should be leading the way instead of being the villains. Expect next week to be a significantly different style of footy from our guys.

If there is ever a time for a reality check, round one absolutely works.

Overall Summary - 36 Bounces

McCluggage 32 wing
Neale 30
Lyons 23
Robinson 22 (18w, 4i)
Sharp 20 wing
J.Berry 18 (2w)
Bailey 12
Zorko 10
Cameron 10
McCarthy 3

Centre Clearance
Neale 4
Lyons 4
Cameron 3
Big O 2
Zorko 2
Bailey 1
Coleman 1
Robinson 1
McCluggage 1
Interesting, Berry had 16 bounces lining up on the inside and no centre clearances to show for it. On this showing I'm not sure he justifies an inside midfield spot when Dev, Matho and Ely can all play there. Berry has to shape up or move to a different position.

Birchall and Lester, IMO are too slow. Answerth played in the ressies yesterday and probably needs another couple of weeks, so Birchall probably safe, especially against Geelong. Gardner in for Lester, who might become 23rd man next week.
I agree with this analysis, I'm just appalled at the thought of playing Birchall again after that performance. Madden might be better. Prior might be better. Really anyone with some speed might be better.

Ah Chee also had a very average night, and suspect he might be a better option in the forward pocket.
I went back and had a look at pre-season notes, and it seems he looked very good playing on the wing. Maybe he should be moved up there to give McCluggage more time on the inside.

Spot on. This backline is crying out for someone like Madden who is not afraid to break lines by himself.

That was just shocking. Maybe its just the short preseason or maybe we have missed a trick on how to play under the new rules. Lot of passengers out there and midfielders especially who just didn't run.

Gave votes to Lyons, Linc, Bailey and lastly Zorko. Zorko was one of our better performers but his attitude was crap. The sniping and acting stuff isn't good enough as captain.

Sharp probably wasn't ready. He runs and shows a bit but I can't see he knows the game plan enough to be carried. He has a future but needs some reserves games to build up to it.

Fullerton might be good below his knees but doesn't seem to know where to lead or contest a mark. Not sure he is ready either.

Mitch has been a warrior but the game has gone well past him. His blind kicks won't work this year and he goes to ground too often. Hard to tell on the tv but think I saw some poor efforts jogging through the corridor while they were streaming forward. Ely should be annoyed that he got dropped for that effort from Mitch.

I was hoping that Birchalls kicking would suit the new game but he was poor. Cant play him and rich down back. Need to move him on soon

Charlie sulked again and its a bad look. Doesn't seem to like not being the main man.

Again I question the game plan. We just didn't use short kicks or the space with the new mark rules. Too many hack long kicks down the line. Too predictable as they often out numbered us there. Also think the third tall could have been better used by an actual extra mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this has been addressed but this seemed like the biggest beat up by Dermott ever. It was infuriating listening to him slam McCluggage over one missed tackle when literally half the team couldn't stick them. I'm not sure where his "sooking" that Dermott then started ranting about came from and there was no vision from what I could tell on TV. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Tbh, some people are good tacklers and some aren't. My current theory is it must have to do with finger strength cause you compare both McCluggage and Coleman and expect both to be rubbish, yet Coleman Is a machine.

Last edited:
+ Neale 0, Cameron 1, Hipwood 1, Daniher 0, Fullarton 0.

It wasn't a high tackling match

Swans 52 , Lions 41

The most damning stat in my view was the 5-23 marks inside 50, even more so considering the total I50's were close at 57-59

23 marks from 59 entries(40.35%) compared to our miserable 5 from 57 (8.77%)

There was the match right there

This total aberration didn't occur because the Swans forwards had a brilliant contested marking night against our backs.

IMO it was the result of us refusing to play man on man at any stage and playing that stupid, ineffectual, guard space zone defence.

The Swans won the contest, their forwards led and ran hard to space and we had no answer.

By contrast, our forwards pretty much stood still in a bunch all night and watched our onballers bomb it on top of their heads.

The one time someone actually ran and led was in the third quarter when Hipwood led to space and took an uncontested mark.....only to kick the ball OOB on the full from his set shot.

We can talk about making personnel changes ,adding speed etc, etc but if we go with the back half and forward half structures like we had last night, we are going to get picked apart again just like we did last night.

Last edited:
Lots to be said about attitude, effort, discipline, etc. All that can be fixed and I reckon that poor loss is the kick in the arse they needed. What I didn't like seeing was zorko arguing with the umps, he has been so good for a cpl of years now. We did get the sharp end of the penalty stick, but there's no need to carry on like that. His attitude swept thru the team, drawing focus away from the game plan. Gotta do heaps better there zorks.

I didn't like seeing Daniher diving, whinging for free kicks, a lot of the time. That's not our go here son. If you've got yourself out of position to take a mark or affect the pack, work on your timing or whatever, don't bleat at the umps for a penalty. Get on with your job.

Some team changes needed and a lot of players need to fix attitude. We can bounce back, I expect them to do so.

Lots to be said about attitude, effort, discipline, etc. All that can be fixed and I reckon that poor loss is the kick in the arse they needed. What I didn't like seeing was zorko arguing with the umps, he has been so good for a cpl of years now. We did get the sharp end of the penalty stick, but there's no need to carry on like that. His attitude swept thru the team, drawing focus away from the game plan. Gotta do heaps better there zorks.

I didn't like seeing Daniher diving, whinging for free kicks, a lot of the time. That's not our go here son. If you've got yourself out of position to take a mark or affect the pack, work on your timing or whatever, don't bleat at the umps for a penalty. Get on with your job.

Some team changes needed and a lot of players need to fix attitude. We can bounce back, I expect them to do so.

I can't disagree more with the "we need to shut up and play the game". Key forwards get infringed pretty much everytime the ball is on their head so they gotta make sure the umpire knows they exist. I applaud Danniher for having a bit of lip and demanding it.

On the other hand, he had a massive dive at one stage in a marking contest which is the opposite of what he should be doing. The umps hate getting made to be sucked in on the replay (I assume there is some talking too they get midweek), so hopefully he stamps that out pretty quick.

Some of the criticisms are over the top after one game.

Clug had an average game ,he started off ok but struggled to get clean possession. Brereton's rant in the commentary sounded like the pub knowall, so he didn't stick one tackle , it happens , the vision of it was totally inconclusive. Give Clug a break, I thought he tried hard overall ,just had an off night like 15 other blokes.

Zorks was one guy who really tried to fly the flag and put in. Presently he's not having the same impact he once did and that frustrates him but couldn't question his commitment. This'll be his last year as Captain, cut him some slack.

I agree our tackling was poor but we couldn't get close enough to tackle them most of the time .

Some of the criticisms are over the top after one game.

Clug had an average game ,he started off ok but struggled to get clean possession. Brereton's rant in the commentary sounded like the pub knowall, so he didn't stick one tackle , it happens , the vision of it was totally inconclusive. Give Clug a break, I thought he tried hard overall ,just had an off night like 15 other blokes.

Zorks was one guy who really tried to fly the flag and put in. Presently he's not having the same impact he once did and that frustrates him but couldn't question his commitment. This'll be his last year as Captain, cut him some slack.

I agree our tackling was poor but we couldn't get close enough to tackle them most of the time .

I can't believe the crap Zorko gets

He's a passionate and devoted Lions man through and through but every time he gets angry in match, he's derided and put down by many on this forum.

What would you have him do?

Meekly turn the other cheek ?

FWIW, I thought he was one of our better players in that horrible loss to the Swans last night.

As far as I know, our club captain is not "appointed" by the coach or anyone else of influence within the club.

He get's the job by a consensus of the playing group.

So if he's "immature" and "sooky" it follows that those traits must be a reflection of the playing group as a whole.

A playing group that has taken us to a Semi Final and a Prelim in the last two years after the club spent 15 years in the doldrums.

Zorko's not perfect but neither is any club captain so lay off with the uber criticism for a while.

I so hope you are wrong and there is no such thing as a noble effect. Though it’s a noble idea

Greg Swann has such a huge ego he thinks he can run the footy dept.
He will drag us back to the dark days. He is the Donald Trump of Brisbane.
Danny Daly is just a stooge.
Yeah I know it is round 1 but as soon as Nobes left I knew what path we were on.
I wish I was wrong but I know I am not.

Greg Swann has such a huge ego he thinks he can run the footy dept.
He will drag us back to the dark days. He is the Donald Trump of Brisbane.
Danny Daly is just a stooge.
Yeah I know it is round 1 but as soon as Nobes left I knew what path we were on.
I wish I was wrong but I know I am not.

View attachment 1083002

Back