Review Round 1 vs West Coast Eagles @Optus Stadium (21.03.21 - 5:10pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought the effort and endeavour was terrific across the board. Thought the structure and composure was evident all the way through the game. Did the team look better than last year, sure did. Need to keep that consistency of effort .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thought you guys were terrific tonight. The ball movement was very good and you were spotting-up players really well. But for a couple of spilled marks in the forward half, you could have had a 3 goal lead by ¾ time which may have got you across the line.

Hope the coaches assessment of Rowell's knee is right and he doesn't need knee surgery

Hey so anyway I can’t really watch games live or attend them for quite a while until a few things in my life get sorted.
So I’ll be about but my contributions will be well after Fulltime after I’ve done a media blackout and watched on delay.
No point in me adding much as it’s all been said but anyway.....

Rowell gone for half the season.
We have a one goal lead early in the final quarter and fade away to lose by 4 goals.
That’s too painful. Bed.

Bowes was terrific but his opponent kicked 5 goals and was bog. Not that I'm blaming him, but wc were trying to exploit him/Ballard deep 1v1. Missing Thompson still but we need to get use to it and still finda way to win. Not all teams will have 3 quality talls like west coast at least.

Changes:
Rowell
Dmac
Budarick

Flanders
Ainsworth
Sharp

Can't give teams a 3 goal head start, we were playing catch up all day

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why didn’t Benny play Rd 1? Didn’t see him on the injury list or amongst the emergencies?

Had hamstring tightness so the club didn’t risk him with the long flight back from Perth according to the team reveal. Will be right this week.

Could’ve really used his liveliness and link up presence across half-forward.

Disappointing result but could not criticise effort or commitment.
Had our chances in the third quarter but dropped marks and poor shots cost us dearly.
Eagles at home is a very difficult task ,
POSITIVES
David Swallow great game lets hope back to real form.
Most of our young players showed genuine improvement.
Lemmens best game for the club , hopefully found his right spot.
Markov spoilt an also top game with a couple of ordinary disposals.
Tackling and pressure was good for majority of game , just tired late in hot conditions.
NEGATIVES
Inability to convert some easy chances very costly .
Sam Day gave us nothing either at CHF or ruck . We have little or no options which is an indictment on our list managers.
Jarrod Witts battled hard on his own but was outclassed in general play by NicNat.
Tough season for Witts to ruck for almost entire game every week. Again few options.

Important game this week against North.
Short week and oppressive conditions don't make it easy.
For me Ainsworth in if fit.
Corbett must play to give Ben King some support .

Stay dry if possible and have a good week.

Was a great game to watch. Shame about Rowell but hopefully he'll be back soon. Even without him I think the Suns will do a bit of damage to teams this year if they keep that up.

That was a pass mark game for me.
Got to remember that it was 18 points to zero after 4 minutes and they were flying. Slowed them down and then got on top in a lot of areas. We were actually 1 point in front after 4 minutes of the 4th quarter. Big tick for that.

A couple of dropped marks in the forward line in the 3rd quarter hurt, and that 4th quarter goal where JK shoved his defender in the back and got away with it also hurt. Sam Day had a good chance in the 4th as well. His place has to be in some doubt, got to get a little more from the football sent his way.

Good to see Markov do better after some early stinkers. Budders looks like a 2nd year player, as did Ando quite a few times. Got to let them work through it. Great to see Luko getting the ball near the wing and sending it deep, just needs to kick normal when he is kicking for goal. Another 4th quarter chance went begging when he had a chance.

Paying some respects to the efforts of your club - they performed exceptionally well and had our own players chasing shadows for three quarters before running out of legs in the oppressive conditions.

If King and Day had held onto their marks during the third, it could have been a different result.

Play like that each week and you will win more than you lose.

Terrible to see Rowell injured in his return - hope that it is not serious.

Just an observation, but an additional key forward rotation could have been telling in that match considering the ease with which you were able to move the ball.

Has Ballard ever been tried up forward, with someone like Graham coming in to take his usual CHB role?

One positive takeaway from yesterday was our ball movement. I don’t remember ever seeing us break through zones like we did yesterday with our short kicking game. We used to have 2 speeds, all out run, or bomb it down the line, but it looked like we actually thought things through and held onto possession and most importantly, hit targets.

Obviously the conditions weren’t conducive to fast football, so don’t know if it will be the norm, but was a noticeable improvement.

On Rowell's injury. Personally, I am optimistic it's not serious. I re-watched it and Rowell did continue to play and actually run and got involved in another contest before leaving the field. I does look like possible PCL damage from direct front on contact. I am surprised nobody talks about very hard Optus surface as a contributing factor.

Here is Ralph reporting after talking to the club
Gold Coast is hopeful Matt Rowell’s scans on Monday night will reveal only a low-to-moderate PCL sprain that could see him return to footy by mid-season.

The article also mentions that Smith suffered moderate PCL sprain.

Last edited:
On Rowell's injury. Personally, I am optimistic it's not serious. I re-watched it and Rowell did continue to play and actually run and got involved in another contest before leaving the field. I does look like possible PCL damage from direct front on contact. I am surprised nobody talks about very hard Optus surface as a contributing factor.
Agree. It is brought up every now and then but nothing seems to change. McGovern did a similar thing late in the game, not as severe as Rowell obviously but I reckon he will be very sore this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back