briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
eDPS from AFL Draft Central preseason top 30. Heights are from last year, and with NAB League preseason testing completed last weekend, I’d expect/hope updates to start filtering through soonish.
117E17DC-AC62-4480-869F-C00200989724.jpeg

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only one showing (AAMI game) but from it I think it is evident that our midfield depth is sorely lacking. Suns were all over us in the first half and then in the second we threw our A group into the middle and it turned our game around. I don’t see Berry making the next jump to an A grade. He will accumulate it but as others have pointed out his decision making and skills are lacking at times. Hugh is class but then who is next? Bailey isn’t an inside mid and he also IMO didn’t have the best of games. I can’t see Ely making it, 4 pre-seasons and he isn’t best 22. Focus turns to Dev IMO and hope he is one to fill the void.

Our need for HBF is still there IMO but you need a deep midfield and I just feel that there is a gap between our top flight and the rest.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we need more creative players in the middle and on half back. No more foot soldiers eg. Lyons, Robinson, ESmith, Dev, etc.

We have Bailey (quick to react and can break away), McCluggage (finds space through traffic), Berry (runs into trouble more often than not), Neale is a contested footy beast and Rayner can find space through traffic and use the ball. Rich is creative off half back but the others don't take the game on much.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Have a look at the midfields from last year's grandfinalists. Dusty is a star but after that it was pretty much foot soldiers all the way when Dangerfield was not in there which he wasn't for most of the time (Cotchin is not the same player as he was 5 years ago). There were quite a lot of teams with much better midfields on paper. Team football is the winning formula at the moment and if guys don't buy into the team first approach and run both ways then the coaches of winning teams do not pick them.

With that said I do agree that we should use our picks over the next couple of years to add quality to the midfield. That is an area of need but I am not writing off the guys we have if they can come in and do a job and quite frankly we have as much if not more depth in this area as other top teams.

Guthrie was AA last year and he has developed from a bog ordinary foot soldier when he started to a very good foot soldier now. We need to look at what guys can give us and whether they make the team better rather than just whether they have a nice highlight reel.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
eDPS from AFL Draft Central preseason top 30. Heights are from last year, and with NAB League preseason testing completed last weekend, I’d expect/hope updates to start filtering through soonish.
View attachment 1074097
This Lewis Rayson might be a good successor to Rich. It's possible Stone has seen him play at Glenelg.

I can’t see Ely making it, 4 pre-seasons and he isn’t best 22.
He was drafted in '18 wasn't he? That means he's had three pre-seasons (19, 20, 21). He was always a raw prospect who was anticipated to take a bit of time, and he's supposed to have been the big improver this pre-season.

Last edited:

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Have a look at the midfields from last year's grandfinalists. Dusty is a star but after that it was pretty much foot soldiers all the way when Dangerfield was not in there which he wasn't for most of the time (Cotchin is not the same player as he was 5 years ago). There were quite a lot of teams with much better midfields on paper. Team football is the winning formula at the moment and if guys don't buy into the team first approach and run both ways then the coaches of winning teams do not pick them.

With that said I do agree that we should use our picks over the next couple of years to add quality to the midfield. That is an area of need but I am not writing off the guys we have if they can come in and do a job and quite frankly we have as much if not more depth in this area as other top teams.

Guthrie was AA last year and he has developed from a bog ordinary foot soldier when he started to a very good foot soldier now. We need to look at what guys can give us and whether they make the team better rather than just whether they have a nice highlight reel.

Richmond throw guys like Edwards and Bolton into the middle who are the ones that cut you up and we don't have those types. Only Bailey.

Richmond throw guys like Edwards and Bolton into the middle who are the ones that cut you up and we don't have those types. Only Bailey.
Yes we lack those explosive types who can turn a game when you need it, especially without Cam. They would be hoping Cockatoo can fill that sort of role. But it will take time and it remains to be seen what level he can get to after so many injury interrupted years.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we need more creative players in the middle and on half back. No more foot soldiers eg. Lyons, Robinson, ESmith, Dev, etc.

We have Bailey (quick to react and can break away), McCluggage (finds space through traffic), Berry (runs into trouble more often than not), Neale is a contested footy beast and Rayner can find space through traffic and use the ball. Rich is creative off half back but the others don't take the game on much.
Not expecting anyone remotely in their class but an Aker/Lappin type are what really gives the opposition headaches. You only need one or two at the most in your team

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not expecting anyone remotely in their class but an Aker/Lappin type are what really gives the opposition headaches. You only need one or two at the most in your team
Hope and pray Melbourne don't make the finals, because the top 9 on that board above might all be able to give us some of that. This is the best draft in a while for finding X-factors in the midfield.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only one showing (AAMI game) but from it I think it is evident that our midfield depth is sorely lacking. Suns were all over us in the first half and then in the second we threw our A group into the middle and it turned our game around. I don’t see Berry making the next jump to an A grade. He will accumulate it but as others have pointed out his decision making and skills are lacking at times. Hugh is class but then who is next? Bailey isn’t an inside mid and he also IMO didn’t have the best of games. I can’t see Ely making it, 4 pre-seasons and he isn’t best 22. Focus turns to Dev IMO and hope he is one to fill the void.

Our need for HBF is still there IMO but you need a deep midfield and I just feel that there is a gap between our top flight and the rest.
I love Berrys endeavour but he seems to lack peripheral vision being tackled and free kicked against often. Not sure he thinks he has the strength to break the tackle or as I said........ lacks peripheral vision. Perhaps his team mates should yell UR HOT!

Last edited:

JeffPapers

Debutant
Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Not sure if I would agree with labelling Lyons as a foot-soldier. Sure he's not exactly a typically 'sexy' midfielder but he is one of the best strategical inside/clearance players in the league imo

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Three younger brothers of current Lions who could be drafted this year. Plus the son of a former champion Lion.

Interesting to note that #1 pick favourite Jason Horne is the stepson of former Bear Fabian Francis.

Fagenslions36

All Australian
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What year is young Ashcroft available ? Heard he has been touted as a potential top 10 pick for us under father son now that he has left gold coasts academy

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I’ll just drop this here for now.

Got to see Will Ashcroft live for the first time today and he certainly looks like a top end prospect next year. Very good midfielder who is tough, clean and has a good burst from stoppages aswell.
He is 183cm, I still need to see more but looks pretty strong

Last edited:

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Elite run and kick from defence. Kicks crazy goals to.

He looks the goods, hoping there's 6-7 good top end talents come years end. Do you know Will Ashcroft is playing his footy this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back