Review Hamish 2021

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
If we had a list like Carlton we wouldn't have played in finals and made a Grand Final after the draft sanctions with both M.Crouch, Laird and Cameron all playing important roles.
We have a list like Carlton & Melbourne now... in 2021. We didn't have the same kind of list in 2017.

You seem to be conflating 3 or 4 different things, and coming to conclusions which make no sense at all.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Mutineer why you going around disliking a post that wishes McHenry played smarter?

Genuine question.

Some say he's too small/slight but for mine it's more he plays dumb football. Frequently tries to take on more than he can handle. IMO would do himself a service by still going hard at it but also thinking about stage 2 of the operation i.e. how to use the footy if he wins it.

ADELAIDE 4.4 11.7 13.9 15.13 (103)
GEELONG 2.3 5.5 10.8 13.13 (91)

GOALS
Adelaide:
Walker 5, Rowe 2, Frampton 2, McHenry 2, Lynch, Murphy, McAdam, Schoenberg
Geelong: Parfitt 2, Hawkins 2, Smith 2, Stanley, Rohan, Menegola, Blicavs, Guthrie, Dahlhaus, Miers

BEST
Adelaide:
Walker, Laird, Sholl, McHenry, Rowe
Geelong: Dangerfield, Guthrie, Blicavs, Smith, Parfitt

INJURIES
Adelaide:
Brown (sore achilles), Kelly (concussion), Hinge (shoulder)
Geelong: Menegola (shoulder)

SUBSTITUTES
Adelaide:
Mitchell Hinge (replaced Luke Brown)
Geelong: Charlie Constable (replaced Sam Menegola)

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
We have a list like Carlton & Melbourne now... in 2021. We didn't have the same kind of list in 2017.

You seem to be conflating 3 or 4 different things, and coming to conclusions which make no sense at all.
We were discussing how our list is so bad right now and his point was this started from the draft sanction where most expected us to be as poor as Carlton when they had their 2 year draft sanction and struggle for decades but I told him made finals and the Grand Final within 5 years of those 2 year draft sanction and the lower draft picks used in the 2 year draft sanction developed into gun players so the draft sanction had nothing to do with why our list is so poor right now.

The list is in the current state because of the CM which had more affect on the playing group then expected, Pyke was forced to play the senior players in 2018 and 2019 because he was still trying to make finals, then the independent review occurred and we did a huge list turnover in 2020 so there wasn't a smooth list transition. We should have been competing for the premiership those 2 years and be at the start of a smooth list transition right now.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers

GOALS
Adelaide:
Geelong: Parfitt 2, Hawkins 2, Smith 2, Stanley, Rohan, Menegola, Blicavs, Guthrie, Dahlhaus, Miers

BEST
Adelaide:

INJURIES
Adelaide:

SUBSTITUTES
Adelaide:
Ned actually reminds me of Dangerfield in his first few years.. just so hungry for the contest and sometimes bites off more than he can chew. also has the tendency to drop the odd wild brain fart in here and there.

that was Dangerfield in those early years.. certainly not saying hes the next paddy but just pointing out that even the best can take time to develop their game and have their footy brain mature..

Ned will get there.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
We were discussing how our list is so bad right now and his point was this started from the draft sanction where most expected us to be as poor as Carlton when they had their 2 year draft sanction and struggle for decades but I told him made finals and the Grand Final within 5 years of those 2 year draft sanction and the lower draft picks used in the 2 year draft sanction developed into gun players so the draft sanction had nothing to do with why our list is so poor right now.

The list is in the current state because of the CM which had more affect on the playing group then expected, Pyke was forced to play the senior players in 2018 and 2019 because he was still trying to make finals, then the independent review occurred and we did a huge list turnover in 2020 so there wasn't a smooth list transition. We should have been competing for the premiership those 2 years and be at the start of a smooth list transition right now.
Congratulations. Almost none of that is actually true, certainly not the CM stuff.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Congratulations. Almost none of that is actually true, certainly not the CM stuff.
What's not true? We didn't play finals and a Grand Final with 5 years of the 2 year draft sanction. We didn't have a massive list turnover after the independent review because of the CM.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
What's not true? We didn't play finals and a Grand Final with 5 years of the 2 year draft sanction. We didn't have a massive list turnover after the independent review because of the CM.
Draft Sanctions aren't intended to hurt in the short term - but they're biting now, when the players we would have drafted would be hitting their prime. The sanctions had SFA impact on our ability to make the GF in 2017... but today they're a large part of the reason why we have a missing generation, with almost nobody in the 50-150 game bracket.

Our list turnover had very little, if anything, to do with CM.

Keep swinging, you're on two strikes so far. Care to make it 3?

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Draft Sanctions aren't intended to hurt in the short term - but they're biting now, when the players we would have drafted would be hitting their prime. The sanctions had SFA impact on our ability to make the GF in 2017... but today they're a large part of the reason why we have a missing generation, with almost nobody in the 50-150 game bracket.

What are you talking about? If we had those 4 draftee using our 1st and 2nd rounders would they be better players than Cameron, M.Crouch and Laird who had the opportunity to develop into gun players, very highly unlikely so we didn't miss any of those generation. If the independent review of the CM didn't occur Pyke would still be senior coach and push for finals in 2020 with Keath, Greenwood, Jacob, CEY, Betts, Jenkins and Douglas (who still wanted to play but was "forced" to retire) instead of the huge list turnover.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just don't see it in McHenry. I don't see the smarts. Attacks everything at 100 mph but frequently just gets himself tangled up like a fish in a net. Would be better if he saw the net and went around it.

Would like to see some poise/ good decision making.
Bump...😏

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Going by yesterday, that 2018 draft wasn't so bad was it.

Eh?

Draft sanctions absolutely did impact our grand final run. It probably cost us a premiership, if not a dynasty. After all that's another 4 22-23 year olds and potentially one or two more jets seeing our record with 1st round picks at that point was impeccable. We made the GF in spite of draft sanctions.

They're still hurting now. After all that's another 4 players we've lost that could have either prevented a hard rebuild, assisted with this rebuild, or more draft picks to rebuild with.

Draft sanctions are designed to hurt from the 2nd year onwards and they string for over a decade.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Eh?

Draft sanctions absolutely did impact our grand final run. It probably cost us a premiership, if not a dynasty. After all that's another 4 22-23 year olds and potentially one or two more jets seeing our record with 1st round picks at that point was impeccable. We made the GF in spite of draft sanctions.

They're still hurting now. After all that's another 4 players we've lost that could have either prevented a hard rebuild, assisted with this rebuild, or more draft picks to rebuild with.

Draft sanctions are designed to hurt from the 2nd year onwards and they string for over a decade.
We're hurting now, when those players would have been in their prime, and your comments about the rebuild exactly mirror my own.

2017... not so much.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Eh?

And would those 4 early picks developed into better players as M.Crouch, Cameron and Laird who were all late picks and had the opportunity to develop because these early picks weren't available, history shows it's very rare you get more than 4 gun players in both years due to the opportunity and list turnovers.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No

GOALS
Adelaide:

BEST
Adelaide:

INJURIES
Adelaide:

SUBSTITUTES
Adelaide:
Was great to see.

You know what? Having watched most of this round, I think the rules changes will really help McHenry. It's no longer so congested. So he won't have so many blokes tight around him and can't run himself into trouble as much as we've seen previously.

I'm even hopeful the new opened up game might benefit Jones as well 🤞

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Was great to see.

You know what? Having watched most of this round, I think the rules changes will really help McHenry. It's no longer so congested. So he won't have so many blokes tight around him and can't run himself into trouble as much as we've seen previously.

I'm even hopeful the new opened up game might benefit Jones as well 🤞
Nowhere near as much as Neddy getting his body right and conditioned for AFL.

I saw too much of Neddy up close at the Falcons of his kamikaze competitiveness and gut running to ever believe he wasn't going to be a decent AFL player.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
What are you talking about? If we had those 4 draftee using our 1st and 2nd rounders would they be better players than Cameron, M.Crouch and Laird who had the opportunity to develop into gun players, very highly unlikely so we didn't miss any of those generation. If the independent review of the CM didn't occur Pyke would still be senior coach and push for finals in 2020 with Keath, Greenwood, Jacob, CEY, Betts, Jenkins and Douglas (who still wanted to play but was "forced" to retire) instead of the huge list turnover.

The review wasn't of CM, it was of the football dept as a whole.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No

I saw too much of Neddy up close at the Falcons of his kamikaze competitiveness and gut running to ever believe he wasn't going to be a decent AFL player.
My main issue with him was his thought process in tight. Regularly tried to do too much and ran himself into trouble.

The game is no longer so tight and contested with these rules changes. They've opened it up immensely.

It's almost like a new game. Roll around, slice and dice. Team defence and congested contested footy are going to take a back seat to more man on man fast flowing footy.

Look at the scores. The quick bursts of scoring. The low tackle counts. The game has changed.

He made a few mistakes early on Saturday, but that first goal really seemed to get him going. Was good presence of mind to play on quickly too.

arsene wenger1

Premiership Player
Jul 14, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
By my calculations our Round 1 2021 team will field just 2 first round draft picks from the last 10 years.

Doedee and McHenry.

Now, not all of that is Hamish's fault. Rendell picked Brad Crouch in 2011 (mini draft but we'll call him first round). Also a couple of years of draft sanctions in 2012-13.

But come on, 2014 to 2020 out of 10 first round draft picks we have 2 players in our starting line up for Round 1 2021.

Milera is injured again, granted. But even if he was fit, 30% is a terrible strike rate for the first round.

Let's hear some excuses.
Anyone keeping a small eye on Logan McDonald also?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
My main issue with him was his thought process in tight. Regularly tried to do too much and ran himself into trouble.

The game is no longer so tight and contested with these rules changes. They've opened it up immensely.

It's almost like a new game. Roll around, slice and dice. Team defence and congested contested footy are going to take a back seat to more man on man fast flowing footy.

Look at the scores. The quick bursts of scoring. The low tackle counts. The game has changed.
I don't know how much NAB League you watch but it don't come much more congested than that at AFL level, it's virtually a rolling scrum and Neddy played a lot of midfield partnering Sam Walsh. You were talking a player with the grand total of 8 AFL games when you made that statement...I think you have unreal expectations from someone just starting their AFL journey especially if you watched Neddy's SANFL games in 2019, no problems there.

Jirkago75

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
But that's exactly the problem. We prioritised short term success with no eye for the future and now we're paying the price
That’s what happens when your in premiership mode. You try and get top players in to win a flag. I was on record to say I hated the Gibbs trade, the price was too high but not the decision. Pyke wanted a flag and if we fell straight after it’s still a success.
young players don’t get many opportunities if you are near the top. We are now in a position where Nicks can play the youngsters without fear of his job. I happy to say that he is and giving them some responsibility as well. We also had a stale coaching panel that didn’t change much for a few years.
Hamish’s time to shine is now, the young players will get games and there will be no more excuses. He is not to blame for all of this s**t we are in.

Back