Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Just have to sit back and enjoy the Dusty show, because at some point (hopefully not for a while) it’ll be over and we might not see a better AFL player for the rest of our collective lives. Can’t just take him for granted.
Slight adjustment needed there

Kane Corns makes me laugh has he even thought that Dusty is unplayable and that good , he makes it sound to easy. If he struggles in the guts put him up forward and he takes one of the opposition best defenders to the cleaners.Dusty reminds me of Judd or Cousins at there peak unplayable.

Kane Corns makes me laugh has he even thought that Dusty is unplayable and that good , he makes it sound to easy. If he struggles in the guts put him up forward and he takes one of the opposition best defenders to the cleaners.Dusty reminds me of Judd or Cousins at there peak unplayable.
Actually starting to annoy me the way he talks about Dusty. Unless you have a player that is both an elite tagger and an elite medium defender, you need at least two direct opponents for him, and they both need to be checking him the whole time because he will drift between mid and forward to get a mismatch.
People always wonder how he gets mismatches, it’s because he started the play in the middle, drifted forward, and the right matchup for him is on the bench.

Was the term ‘point forward’ coined for Scottie Pippen? ‘Point centre’ was definitely coined for early 90s Lakers centre Vlade Divac

Messi/Pep the false nine in football

In Australian football I can't think of someone outside dusty that's caused such a stir positionally.

Maybe hodge as the back pocket (sweeper...) But he wasn't the only one doing it. Bowden did something similar whilst playing in the chf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much better than them, let me break down Dusty’s performance on Thursday’ night
31p , 14 contested 619m gained
5 clearances
4 tackles
8 i50
2G
4 Goal asst ( george, shai lambo jack)
12 score involvement
Compare that to the impact his peers had, danger Cripps, Fyfe bont ,they’re simply not in the same league

Put a lazy hundy on this...........

Richmond 2021 GF winners into Dusty 4th Norm Smith into Dusty 2nd Brownlow into Dusty 5th All Australian team
into Dusty 4th Gary Ayres award into Dusty 2nd Leigh Matthews Trophy into Dusty 2nd AFLCA Champion player of the year award
into Dusty 3rd Jack Dyer medal.

Everyone's a winner

I do believe many in the media are really starting to "see" the magic many of us have been seeing for years and not all want that quashed like Kane Cornes does with his obsession about stopping Dusty. Although to be fair, Cornes did acknowledge how good Martin is after the grand final and during the radio call. Here is a few excerpts from a John Ralph article including some words from Jack Ross.

The footballer fresh off a premiership season ominously declaring he can get better is the most boring annual cliche of the summer.
Except for Dustin Martin, winner of a Brownlow Medal and three Norm Smith Medals, it might actually be true.

It’s too scary to believe for opposition sides, and yet as coach Damien Hardwick and teammate Jack Ross explained after his glorious return to the MCG, it’s not just a matter of empty words.

At 29, Martin could be counting his millions and easing into self-preservation mode to ensure he finishes his seven-year contract.

Instead a perfect storm of ingredients in 2021 mean the $10 on offer for Martin to win his second Brownlow Medal has already been slashed into $7 with the TAB and those odds could continue to tumble.

Let’s consider the evidence in front of us.

Martin has never been more at peace in his life with a balance of meditation and mindfulness that has him relishing every moment he spends on the field or training track.

He has never been fitter in his 11 seasons of football as the AFL transforms into a game in which the athletes could dominate like never before, and critically late in contests.

Richmond’s 75-inside 50s were a new club high, with Martin adding two contested marks to his repertoire against Carlton.

And Martin has never played a more attacking brand to feast on that inside-50 avalanche, not collecting a single one of his 31 possessions behind the centre on Thursday night.

With Martin relishing the big moments like never before, he looks an unstoppable force in the home-and-away season as well after starting slowly and then peaking for the finals last year.

Teammate Ross told the Herald Sun after his own excellent cameo on Thursday night that Martin’s confidence was at an all-time high.

“He is a freak, pretty much. I didn’t think he could get any better than he was, but he’s come back and he’s just in incredible nick,” Ross said.

“He has run all these PBs (personal bests) and is dominating on the track and tonight he was doing what he just does. He is a big moment player and with the longer quarters and the high-scoring game, it is just falling into his hands nicely.

“He is a pretty quiet guy but he is so attached with the whole mental side of the game.

“His self-belief is second to none and in games he does a lot of deep breaths and brings himself back into the present.

“If we are under the pump, he will get us all back into the centre square and tell us all to take some deep breaths and remain calm.

“He’s quiet and not outrageously cocky or arrogant, he is just demanding of the big moments and wants the ball in his hands. His self-confidence is through the roof.”

Consider his performance on Thursday night at a venue that he called the holy grail of football — 31 possessions, 14 contested, four goal assists, 12 score involvements, two contested marks, five marks inside 15, 619 metres gained, five clearances, two centre square clearances, and eight inside 50.

He gave off a point-blank handball for Jason Castagna for a first-half goal and sacrificed another shot late to try to find Jack Riewoldt so could have had five goals.

But then again, you can only get three Brownlow votes for any given game.

His coach knows he has something freakish at his disposal.

“His ball use across the arcs was very good,” Hardwick said.

“With players getting more and more tired you could tell the difference. He has done a power of work on that (part) of his game, his fitness, and it just stood out at the end.

“He is a wonderful player, we are lucky to have him, and he’s a pleasure to coach.”

At the end of 2018, Martin revealed how tough his 2018 season had been as he attempted to replicate his Brownlow Medal-Jack Dyer Medal-Norm Smith Medal season.

“I haven’t told too many people this, but I found 2018 to be really hard,” Martin said.

“I woke with a weird empty feeling inside and it was really strange.

“I had everything I wanted and everything I dreamt of, but I didn’t feel fulfilled or happy. I didn’t know what was going on.”

When Martin is doing Fox Footy TV specials with Nick Riewoldt where he is warm and relaxed and as giving as he is ever likely to be, you know he is in his sweet spot.

The Brownlow Medal that would at least put him in the frame as footy’s greatest player is his to lose.

Messi/Pep the false nine in football

In Australian football I can't think of someone outside dusty that's caused such a stir positionally.

Maybe hodge as the back pocket (sweeper...) But he wasn't the only one doing it. Bowden did something similar whilst playing in the chf
I reckon Guy McKenna was the first player I recall being labelled as a "sweeper"

Noted Dustin's genius on Thursday.
Watch the final two minutes, he tries to retrieve the ball for Jack's set shot, from near the boundary.
Jack gets the ball.
Then Dustin signals backwards for players to cover the area.
Always thinking of the next passage of play.
A kick-out from a behind or a centre bounce after a goal.
Genius attention to detail which separates the elite from mediocrity.

Actually starting to annoy me the way he talks about Dusty. Unless you have a player that is both an elite tagger and an elite medium defender, you need at least two direct opponents for him, and they both need to be checking him the whole time because he will drift between mid and forward to get a mismatch.
People always wonder how he gets mismatches, it’s because he started the play in the middle, drifted forward, and the right matchup for him is on the bench.

Cornes was a professional scragging tagger, no doubt dreams he could have blanketed Dusty in the centre AND in attack.

The bloke's never been renowned for his common sense or sound judgement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back