Casual mentions of Australia in films

STFU Donnie

Jul 31, 2012
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
In Event Horizon Sam Neill speaks with his natural accent and plays an Australian doctor/astronaut. On the left shoulder of his uniform you can see an Australian flag with the Aboriginal flag occupying the place of the Union Jack. I'm not sure when pushes to change the Australian flag first became popular but this film is from 1997 and you would think Neill had a say in that particular flag design being part of his character's uniform.

Isn't he a Kiwi?

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
In 'The Hit' Bill Hunter is watching the footy in his apartment in Spain. John Hurt is there to get rid of him. Hunter says
"That's my team Mitch. Hawthorn". But the teams playing are Carlton and Melbourne!
Maybe he objected to saying the other teams. Like Tom Cruise and some director had a big blue that shut down filming for a day as he refused to wear the team the director wanted him to once.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

2006_Eagles

10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Can we extend this to filmclips?

Mar 29, 2007
Rand McNally
Baghdad Bombers
Not movie related but... Went down a rabbit hole last night trying to find some of these clips. Found a clip of John McEnroe wearing an old school blues jumper

It was previously mention that there was an a VFL game in the background of a US cop show once, someone said that it was Miami vice, is this correct? Was trying to find the clip .

jackn

Oct 9, 2006
aus
In the happening, Mark whalberg says he read an article about the coast of Australia. They found large quantities of a primordial bacteria that was believed to be extinct millions of years ago.

It was 50 minutes into a movie I made it 53 minutes. It really was terrible but I was doing some baby proofing jobs in the room it was on so didn't bother turning it off.

Not sure if this fits.. But I watched Pacific Rim recently and there are the 2 worst Australian accents I have ever had the misfortune of hearing

The weird thing about this (and I wasn't aware that it wasn't shot at Bells until reading this thread) is that Australian Actor Peter Phelps is in the scene, IIRC correctly Johnny Utah walks past him and he says something like "sh*t out there today" or whatever. So I always assumed it was shot in Oz and they put a call out for local actors to be in the scene.
He says the absolutely amazing line "no ones been out, no one's going out.. Gotta be f**king crazy man, it's death on a stick out there mate"

😂😂

Sep 12, 2007
From "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

Allan Quatermain : [being lead down a staircase that doesn't seem to end] Where are we going? Australia?
Watched a cinemasins about that the other day.

On the heels of turning down a part in lord of the rings and then the matrix (or the matrix and then lord of the rings) because he didn’t understand them Connery took a part in this, it bombed and he went into semi retirement following it.

troybe

Assistant to the Travelling Secretary
Apr 19, 2008
Bunnings Institute for the Galactically Stupid
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (2014) Alexander has a bedroom full of Aussie stuff. Flags, Outback stuff, didgeridoo, Aussie posters but no AFL stuff. Weird. Plus the actor who plays Alexander is Aussie.

Cmarsh

Apr 23, 2012
NSW
GWS
Started watching Generation Kill and in first or second episode Godfather is listening to the bbc and they are broadcasting aus v india 2003 world cup match...

from reddit

We hear
Another Ausralian cricket reference is Michael Slater and Ricky Ponting being two of the possible answers to the question of who has scored the most first class runs in Slumdog Millionaire.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
Not movie related but... Went down a rabbit hole last night trying to find some of these clips. Found a clip of John McEnroe wearing an old school blues jumper

It was previously mention that there was an a VFL game in the background of a US cop show once, someone said that it was Miami vice, is this correct? Was trying to find the clip .

Yeah, it's from an early season 5 episode

emuboy

Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
South Fremantle, Sturt
In the early 2000s parody film 'Not Another Teen Movie' the hot foreign exchange student speaks with a differing accent in every scene she is in, this varying from European to British to Canadian and in one scene an Australian accent.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
I have been binge watching Miami Vice and am finally up to the final season when I noticed this scene and thought I have to upload it just so I can post it here (lurker).

Hope the link works

Do you like Miami Vice?

JWOLYO

Draftee
Apr 20, 2021
Do you like Miami Vice?

Yes, I do. I watched the early seasons when it came out (was 18 when it began). It has its lame episodes (as most TV series do) but it has some quite good ones, even well ahead of its time on some social issues. But now it's a case of wanting to watch the entire series because I'm so far in.

JWOLYO

Draftee
Apr 20, 2021
Here's another mention of Australia. I am watching The Monkees (yes, watched the repeats in the 1970s when I was about ten years old) with my daughter as she likes the quirky and silly humour when we noticed this in the episode we just watched tonight.

Trivia: the child actor is Joey Baio; a cousin of Scott (Chachi/Happy Days).

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
Yes, I do. I watched the early seasons when it came out (was 18 when it began). It has its lame episodes (as most TV series do) but it has some quite good ones, even well ahead of its time on some social issues. But now it's a case of wanting to watch the entire series because I'm so far in.

I think it was ahead of its time in some ways, both in themes and production style, it's a shame it's now been consigned to 'haha lol the 80s' because it was some groundbreaking media and still is in many ways.

JWOLYO

Draftee
Apr 20, 2021
I think it was ahead of its time in some ways, both in themes and production style, it's a shame it's now been consigned to 'haha lol the 80s' because it was some groundbreaking media and still is in many ways.

I agree, that would be a shame, and unfair, if it was consigned to 'haha lol the 80s' because it's far superior to many other shows of that era (and cop shows of any era) and many episodes/themes would still stand up today. Brilliant use of the music of the era and, as mentioned earlier in this thread, featuring many Australian acts (btw, Peter Allen made a cameo in an early episode) including the use of "Don't Change" by INXS in season 1 (from memory), well and truly before they would've even been big/huge in the USA. It's been great binge-watching it from go-to-whoa and I've truly enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
I agree, that would be a shame, and unfair, if it was consigned to 'haha lol the 80s' because it's far superior to many other shows of that era (and cop shows of any era) and many episodes/themes would still stand up today. Brilliant use of the music of the era and, as mentioned earlier in this thread, featuring many Australian acts (btw, Peter Allen made a cameo in an early episode) including the use of "Don't Change" by INXS in season 1 (from memory), well and truly before they would've even been big/huge in the USA. It's been great binge-watching it from go-to-whoa and I've truly enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

The integration of popular/big name artists across multiple genres was never seen before and will never been seen again for just one example of how it was groundbreaking, IIRC during the run of Miami Vice record companies realised that they could begin to charge much higher for use of music in TV, ironic, Miami Vice both started it, popularised it, then killed it.

They also use The Saints in an episode I think.

STFU Donnie

Jul 31, 2012
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom

Nice one. Two related instances:

(A very young) John Cusack wearing a Kangaroos jersey in 1985's The Sure Thing.
j c.jpg

A character in Degrassi Junior High wearing a Footscray VFL jersey.
djh.jpg