Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

chad-warner-of-the-swans-trains-during-a-sydney-swans-afl-training-picture-id1251467315

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Warner and Rowbottom seem to me to be a perfect pairing for the midfielder. Warner a bit flashier and brilliant perhaps with his touches, but Rowbottom an ultimate competitor, and maybe a little better in and under. But both potentially outstanding midfielders who can also do damage with the footy too.

Warner and Rowbottom seem to me to be a perfect pairing for the midfielder. Warner a bit flashier and brilliant perhaps with his touches, but Rowbottom an ultimate competitor, and maybe a little better in and under. But both potentially outstanding midfielders who can also do damage with the footy too.

Agree with this, although I would have it the opposite, Warner looks the brute strength to compliment Rowbottom's class.

Very early days but Warner's form so far this year has me a little more hopeful about the future of our midfield than I was six months ago. (Not to mention Mills' performance, but not getting ahead of myself there.) Three guys there all on the right side of 25.

Agree with this, although I would have it the opposite, Warner looks the brute strength to compliment Rowbottom's class.

Very early days but Warner's form so far this year has me a little more hopeful about the future of our midfield than I was six months ago. (Not to mention Mills' performance, but not getting ahead of myself there.) Three guys there all on the right side of 25.
What I like is Warner is always there abouts. Always where he is likely to get the ball. He is a link up in a chain. He tackles. He is a bonus.

Warner has the same nice burst of speed that Rowbottom has. Bloody good game for his third!
As JPK and Parky spend less time inside it will be interesting to see what Florent, Blakey, Stephens bring as hybrids.
Was delightful to see JPK looking a bit bemused (in a good way) at the end. Might extend his career by a year. Or not. Who knows?

Warner has the same nice burst of speed that Rowbottom has. Bloody good game for his third!
As JPK and Parky spend less time inside it will be interesting to see what Florent, Blakey, Stephens bring as hybrids.
Was delightful to see JPK looking a bit bemused (in a good way) at the end. Might extend his career by a year. Or not. Who knows?

It was possibly the worst game JPK has had in a long time (still wasn't poor at all) and yet it didn't matter. It must've been an unfamiliar feeling for him, having so often been relied on as the spiritual and official leader of the team to lift his game when we needed it. He was probably the sixth most effective mid on the ground behind Mills, Rowbottom, Warner, Florent and Parker. That will take some getting used to but I think once he settles into that role and figures out how to lead by supporting, then he will thrive in it, his body will be grateful for it, and his career may just endure longer than many anticipate.

Its funny how we all watch the game slighlty differently hey! I think Warner has a bit more silky class about his game potentially then Rowbottom, but you see opposite (and can understand definitely how one could). But either either, they have the makings of a seriously good pair of bash brothers in there. Warner's stats for a guy in game 3 are seriously impressive.

More broadly, completely agree about being hopefuly for the future of our midfield. Had always though Mills would slot right in, so I hope its onwards and upwards for him, and he is the obvious age to become the 'elder statesmen' as the young brigade just starting out start to hit their peak (not that he will be 'old' by any stretch at that point either!). Luke Parker likely to be the true Jude Bolton elder statesmen I suppose (even as far as likely to be playing increasingly in the forward line by then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its funny how we all watch the game slighlty differently hey! I think Warner has a bit more silky class about his game potentially then Rowbottom, but you see opposite (and can understand definitely how one could). But either either, they have the makings of a seriously good pair of bash brothers in there. Warner's stats for a guy in game 3 are seriously impressive.

More broadly, completely agree about being hopefuly for the future of our midfield. Had always though Mills would slot right in, so I hope its onwards and upwards for him, and he is the obvious age to become the 'elder statesmen' as the young brigade just starting out start to hit their peak (not that he will be 'old' by any stretch at that point either!). Luke Parker likely to be the true Jude Bolton elder statesmen I suppose (even as far as likely to be playing increasingly in the forward line by then.
This is exactly how I see our midfield. Rowey and Warney, Mills, Flo, Hewett, Parker,Gulden and others say hello, and all the others around them (lots of class accumulating on the outside, Blakey, Stephens, McInerney, Campbell. I think the dogs midfield depth is best. But ours is getting there and maturing.

I think Rowbottom is better by both hand and foot, even under pressure, but Warner definitely looks the more strong and powerful. Although it's worth noting that Warner is listed as 1kg heavier than Rowbottom, despite being 5cm shorter than him, which suggests he's already somewhat of a unit, while Rowbottom has a lot more growing to do.

I feel somewhat vindicated, but also humbled, by the performance of guys like Warner, as well as kids coming in and having far more impact than I ever thought right off the bat. On the one hand I was hounded for a long time for daring to suggest that the midfield needed to regenerate beyond the two veterans. Seeing these more dynamic kids doing things that JPK & Parker simply can't do, and how important they become to the current game-plan because of that, I feel validates that opinion.

However I was also one of the more vocal sceptics (which is putting it nicely) of our future midfield stocks. In reality, Warner had played two games at the time. Stephens 8. Blakey barely any midfield time. Mills hardly at all. I had no evidence they'd be any good, but I also had no evidence that they wouldn't be. And I still don't, it's only been one game and careers can go a million different directions, but it's a good lesson in shutting the **** up about things I don't yet know.

Watching Warner break away from packs while looking like he was moving at half speed was a sight to behold. fu**in' wow.

The more I see him, the more I think he's got a long career in front of him. At first I just thought his ceiling could be a Sam Powell-Pepper or Mitch Robinson type. The type who takes bodies with him without being a real weapon offensively (without talking ill about each of them because they're both good players). But I think he's showing his skills and game awareness are better than that. Coupled with his dynamic athletic traits, he's very exciting and one I didn't see coming at all.

The more I see him, the more I think he's got a long career in front of him. At first I just thought his ceiling could be a Sam Powell-Pepper or Mitch Robinson type. The type who takes bodies with him without being a real weapon offensively (without talking ill about each of them because they're both good players). But I think he's showing his skills and game awareness are better than that. Coupled with his dynamic athletic traits, he's very exciting and one I didn't see coming at all.

Amazing what a few months and a better position can do as Warner was pretty quiet in the game or two he played last year.

The more I see him, the more I think he's got a long career in front of him. At first I just thought his ceiling could be a Sam Powell-Pepper or Mitch Robinson type.
I actually thought the exact same. I remember Dalrymple and Beatson giving themselves whiplash calling his name out and thought he must be something but then in the preseason he started it was all stories about how he had to calm down at training etc. At that point I thought "Ah, he's one of those types" and set my expectations lower, but his work this year has me excited. Long way to go, anything could happen etc etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back