Injury The OFFICIAL Injury Updates thread - 2 weeks

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
I think if we played our best team most of the time we would not finish bottom 4 but probably the middle 14th to 10th no mans land again. The club has decided we need to bottom out properly so are aiming for bottom 4 their preference bottom 2. I just hope this works.

Draft picks are not the panacea.

Looking directly at Carlton, Melbourne, GWS and GC.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Personally I think it's just as plausible that our medical and conditioning staff are, to put it nicely, a bit average. Seeing as Dr Harry Unglik joined the board with an apparent directive to fix that s**t up I was hopeful we might be seeing some improvement there. Maybe just not enough time/money yet to overhaul protocols and replace staff that need replacing. Throw in a shortened preseason putting a bit of extra pressure on everything and bang: Here we are.

If it wasn't for all the long term ones and TBC's I wouldn't actually be too bothered by the number of players on the list, considering how some other clubs are going. But * me there is some talent not playing.

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
Our medical staff have been cursed for years. I still believe the year doggies won it we would have won if not for losing a qtr of our main 22 through the season. It's rediculous. They've gotten rid of the old guy yet the problem still remains. When was the last year both tarrant and Anderson were ripe to go rd1.

Our favourite saying at the club is we are being conservative with him . We are so conservative we end up not playing some of them then just delist them. You have to be able to play with injuries in this game .
Cunnington tried to play with injuries last year, that did not go wel

I was talking to one of the Carlton physios and we were talking about the rise in injuries predominantly soft tissue.

She said that it’s on the rise because of the shortened season and delayed pre season everyone is trying to get from 0 to 100 in a unrealistic timeframe with too much overloading.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

NORTH Melbourne will consider playing Aidan Corr for its clash with Gold Coast this weekend, despite subbing him off on Sunday.

The club has said it believed it followed the new medical substitution guidelines to the letter when ruling him out of Sunday’s game against Port Adelaide.

Corr had returned to the ground with a toe issue to see if he could play out the game before being benched.

Jed Anderson (calf) is likely to return this week, while Robbie Tarrant will be tested after being a late withdrawal with a sore groin.

Ben Cunnington is ready to play after overcoming the AFL’s increasingly arduous concussion protocols.

The star midfielder sustained a head knock nearly six weeks ago in a February 12 collision and had not been able to tick off the AFL’s concussion protocols.

Under new rules a player must complete three training sessions, including one fullcontact session, before being passed fit. That took nearly a month for Cunnington, who has now progressed to green.

I don't think anyone could accuse us of trying to get an unfair on field advantage with a straight face, we were getting pumped when the sub was made and nobody expects us to win a game.

groo

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2009
geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think anyone could accuse us of trying to get an unfair on field advantage with a straight face, we were getting pumped when the sub was made and nobody expects us to win a game.
Will seem stupid saying we were looking for an advantage when the club comes 'clean' and reveals he is out for around 6 weeks.

joegreen

All Australian
Mar 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was talking to one of the Carlton physios and we were talking about the rise in injuries predominantly soft tissue.

She said that it’s on the rise because of the shortened season and delayed pre season everyone is trying to get from 0 to 100 in a unrealistic timeframe with too much overloading.

No question loading plays a big part in injuries. Once fatigued and you back up, day after day, week after week, you are in the zone to break down. Does anyone actually know how they train in terms of loading? Always been an advocate of enforced rest/down weeks, literally do minimal work on the track. Light skills at best. Something like 4 weeks on, 1 week off. Hear all the time some players are on managed programs, but I'd be curious to know the details. Is it too much "one size fits all" and we need more individual programs.

Other issues could be the ground. Stats on injuries pre and post the ground upgrade would be interesting. More or less soft tissue injuries. How does the surface compare to other club's training venues? Hard, soft, etc. How does the program compare to other clubs. Do we do more hard running when fatigued or less. More distance or more sprints. More weights or more plyometrics...

For all the injured players you have players like Atley and Goldstein who just keep going. Maybe it's as simple as genetics.

Hard to pin point a reason - probably find plenty of correlation but is that causation? - who knows.

Whatever it is they must adjust. Better to be out there and not quite as fit compared to super fit (for a few weeks) but always injured or sore. Less is more....

NORTH Melbourne will consider playing Aidan Corr for its clash with Gold Coast this weekend, despite subbing him off on Sunday.

The club has said it believed it followed the new medical substitution guidelines to the letter when ruling him out of Sunday’s game against Port Adelaide.

Corr had returned to the ground with a toe issue to see if he could play out the game before being benched.

Jed Anderson (calf) is likely to return this week, while Robbie Tarrant will be tested after being a late withdrawal with a sore groin.

Ben Cunnington is ready to play after overcoming the AFL’s increasingly arduous concussion protocols.

The star midfielder sustained a head knock nearly six weeks ago in a February 12 collision and had not been able to tick off the AFL’s concussion protocols.

Under new rules a player must complete three training sessions, including one fullcontact session, before being passed fit. That took nearly a month for Cunnington, who has now progressed to green.

This is a good result for Corr and it suggests his injury was deemed a grade one turf toe, meaning he’ll be able to run on it as long as the taping (and possible injection) assists with pain management.

Good if we did manipulate the rule re Aidan and to get Charlie Laz on

I believe the rule states that you can activate the sub if continuing to play the player will exacerbate the injury making it worse.

A rule that avoids injuries and allows people to play should be applauded not ridiculed like has been happening.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Personally I think it's just as plausible that our medical and conditioning staff are, to put it nicely, a bit average. Seeing as Dr Harry Unglik joined the board with an apparent directive to fix that sh*t up I was hopeful we might be seeing some improvement there. Maybe just not enough time/money yet to overhaul protocols and replace staff that need replacing. Throw in a shortened preseason putting a bit of extra pressure on everything and bang: Here we are.

If it wasn't for all the long term ones and TBC's I wouldn't actually be too bothered by the number of players on the list, considering how some other clubs are going. But fu** me there is some talent not playing.

Will this ever be addressed? It probably comes down to financial ability but it should be a top priority

I believe the rule states that you can activate the sub if continuing to play the player will exacerbate the injury making it worse.

A rule that avoids injuries and allows people to play should be applauded not ridiculed like has been happening.
Good point.

No question loading plays a big part in injuries. Once fatigued and you back up, day after day, week after week, you are in the zone to break down. Does anyone actually know how they train in terms of loading? Always been an advocate of enforced rest/down weeks, literally do minimal work on the track. Light skills at best. Something like 4 weeks on, 1 week off. Hear all the time some players are on managed programs, but I'd be curious to know the details. Is it too much "one size fits all" and we need more individual programs.

Other issues could be the ground. Stats on injuries pre and post the ground upgrade would be interesting. More or less soft tissue injuries. How does the surface compare to other club's training venues? Hard, soft, etc. How does the program compare to other clubs. Do we do more hard running when fatigued or less. More distance or more sprints. More weights or more plyometrics...

For all the injured players you have players like Atley and Goldstein who just keep going. Maybe it's as simple as genetics.

Hard to pin point a reason - probably find plenty of correlation but is that causation? - who knows.

Whatever it is they must adjust. Better to be out there and not quite as fit compared to super fit (for a few weeks) but always injured or sore. Less is more....

From my knowledge at carton they have 1 heavy gym session a week. Every player has a personalised program to suit their needs and goals, they speak to the high performance managers and the physios and then they create their program loading it on an app (I use TeamBuildr) For example, I’ve injured my cartilage in my wrist and I’ve gotten my program suited to not further injure my wrist

When I train on ikon it’s soft but I don’t doubt Arden street is as well. Harder surfaces put more pressure on the joints. This is where communication is key between the athlete and the high performance team, they will relax a load if the player is fatigued. Players also fill out a wellness form through their app where they have to answer several questions such as: sleep time, sleep quality, fatigue, soreness, stress. They also do several tests: groin squeeze, knee to wall and weight measurement. Also through the GPS system that all players have, it will track the load on the field.

It can also be great recovery and good habits for Ats and Goldy.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

A lot of loading across other sports (not so sure about AFL) is moving back towards a higher proportion of sports based exercise rather than stuff that has no relation to the sport.

Cricket players now do a lot less squatting and deadlifting and more bowling than they did 5-10 years ago, where work outside of the specific sporting activity was really prized.

Obviously the right amount of gym work will help to prevent injuries, but there's a bit of theory coming out now about the role of the Central Nervous System (which is affected by fatigue) and Vestibular System in preventing in-game injury.

Id be interested to know if AFL has followed suit.

Last edited:
A lot of loading across other sports (not so sure about AFL) is moving back towards a higher proportion of sports based exercise rather than stuff that has no relation to the sport.

Cricket players now do a lot less squatting and deadlifting and more bowling than they did 5-10 years ago, where work outside of the specific sporting activity was really prized.

Obviously the right amount of gym work will help to prevent injuries, but there's a bit of theory coming out now about the role of the Central Nervous System (which is affected by fatigue) and Vestibular System in preventing in-game injury.

Id be interested to know of AFL has followed suit.

In a nutshell an AFL gym program will have

Lower body knee dominant (squat)
Lower body hip dominant (deadlift)
Upper body pull (horizontal/vertical)
Upper body push (horizontal/vertical)
Upper and lower body accessory (unilateral/ extra work)
Trunk (brace)
Goal/conditioning (inj prevention)

IMG_5208.JPG

This one was mine today.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

If the rule was in a vacuum I would agree, but the context was a conversation around protecting players from concussion and I think a general injury sub is too large a compromise and returns us to having the original problem which was clubs having a motivation to skirt the protocols so they're not forced to be a man down.

Clearest example would be what happened to Curtis Taylor two minutes after we subbed Corr off (and I think a similar situation occurred in one of the Saturday games). In a situation like that, if the hit wasn't anywhere near as obvious or impactful as it was to Taylor, clubs/coaches/doctors/players might fudge a few things and keep using the player because they no longer have the safety net of a replacement player available. Putting aside the logistics, moral quandaries, and risk vs reward factor, I simply don't approve of the conversation around the sub starting with supplying this safety net in order to lessen the motivation to cheat and jeopardise the player only to then water it down to the extent that already in round one we've seen at least one game where we're back to essentially no better off for having the rule.

If the rule was in a vacuum I would agree, but the context was a conversation around protecting players from concussion and I think a general injury sub is too large a compromise and returns us to having the original problem which was clubs having a motivation to skirt the protocols so they're not forced to be a man down.

Clearest example would be what happened to Curtis Taylor two minutes after we subbed Corr off (and I think a similar situation occurred in one of the Saturday games). In a situation like that, if the hit wasn't anywhere near as obvious or impactful as it was to Taylor, clubs/coaches/doctors/players might fudge a few things and keep using the player because they no longer have the safety net of a replacement player available. Putting aside the logistics, moral quandaries, and risk vs reward factor, I simply don't approve of the conversation around the sub starting with supplying this safety net in order to lessen the motivation to cheat and jeopardise the player only to then water it down to the extent that already in round one we've seen at least one game where we're back to essentially no better off for having the rule.

As always in the AFL they overthink it. It's quite simple, set up fair and equal rules. Let teams manage those rules. There is either a medical sub or not - trying to decide how that is used is as stupid as rules like "deliberate". Waste of time and arguably designed to do little more than generate boring articles.

Back