Review Round 1, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

maybe I'm not explaining myself very well. Im not saying teams won't have defeats over their lives but its the nature of our loss that really bothers me. I'm amazed by Hickey murdering bigO.......Lyons looking like he's never even played the game before, Clugga looking slow and in a fog, Charlie looking timid, Harris looked like he'd gone backwards...etc. It's the nature of our defeat that's galling. In reality, that could have been a 70 point defeat.
A lot of that comes down to attitude though.
If they went into a game thinking that it was just going to happen and then after the first 5 mins where it did just happen.
It can sometimes be very hard to click into action when you don’t have the right mind set to begin with.

Not too worried, AFL is littered with games where the underdog beats the contender or someone they are supposed to beat. Hell, Geelong just lost to Adelaide, we beat WC a couple years ago when we were down the bottom. Thats one of the good things about the game, anybody can beat anybody when the focus just isnt there. It looked like we definitly stopped working after Bailey's 3 goals and thought it would happen. And when they were getting infront, everybody probably looked around and saw each other not really working the hardest. Wouldn't surprise me if they thought "well why should l run hard when the others aren't". I am expecting a big change in attitude next week, however we are playing Geelong at their home ground which few teams win. Gonna be really difficult and when u start 0-2, stats say you are up against it to make finals.

At 17 and in his first game I think he showed more than enough promise. Whether he can improve enough to help us this year is questionable but he has natural gifts.

Yep, he's shown in practice games when he's up and going it's a different ball game to the chasers. I think Fagan should just pump another 3-4 games into him before letting him rest. No better way to learn than play against better teams like Geelong and Dogs.

Sharp will be adding a new dimension to our team which we lack presently. He needs exposure at this level, he'll boss the VFL level easy with his gut running.

Yep, he's shown in practice games when he's up and going it's a different ball game to the chasers. I think Fagan should just pump another 3-4 games into him before letting him rest. No better way to learn than play against better teams like Geelong and Dogs.

Sharp will be adding a new dimension to our team which we lack presently. He needs exposure at this level, he'll boss the VFL level easy with his gut running.
Getting him to run next to Issac Smith would be a huge learning curve.

Not too worried, AFL is littered with games where the underdog beats the contender or someone they are supposed to beat. Hell, Geelong just lost to Adelaide, we beat WC a couple years ago when we were down the bottom. Thats one of the good things about the game, anybody can beat anybody when the focus just isnt there. It looked like we definitly stopped working after Bailey's 3 goals and thought it would happen. And when they were getting infront, everybody probably looked around and saw each other not really working the hardest. Wouldn't surprise me if they thought "well why should l run hard when the others aren't". I am expecting a big change in attitude next week, however we are playing Geelong at their home ground which few teams win. Gonna be really difficult and when u start 0-2, stats say you are up against it to make finals.
yeah after Daniher kicked the 3rd to go 3 goals clear maybe they thought it just would happen, especially at home against a side not expected to make the 8. Attitude is everything.
Don't doubt the stats, but hard to imagine if we beat Geelong on Friday (Hope so) then Cats can't make the 8. This year will be tight and maybe one less win than normal to make the 8 as teams on the fringe such as GWS, Carlton, Freeo, Collingwood and Sydney look like being relatively competitive

yeah after Daniher kicked the 3rd to go 3 goals clear maybe they thought it just would happen, especially at home against a side not expected to make the 8. Attitude is everything.
Don't doubt the stats, but hard to imagine if we beat Geelong on Friday (Hope so) then Cats can't make the 8. This year will be tight and maybe one less win than normal to make the 8 as teams on the fringe such as GWS, Carlton, Freeo, Collingwood and Sydney look like being relatively competitive
Freo and Collingwood don’t look competitive. Gold Coast and Melbourne do.

I'm still jury very much out on Melbourne. Freo have no forward line and minimal fit talls left - watchin at the ground on saturday, melbourne were still turning the ball over in really dumb areas and wasting inside 50s. If they are in solid shape by the time Brown and Weideman can come back in, then I agree they can make a run.

Too hard to tell after 1 round, but I think I recall you being bullish on Freeo a few weeks ago, responding to my post when I said I think Carlton would improve. Seems both Freeo and Carlton since then have injury issues.

Don't believe the Suns will make the 8 or even top 10 they will be competitive, but with such a young team will probably fall away in the later part of the season.
Melbourne is a bit of a mystery but would expect them to be competitive and the fringe of the 8
Pies I don't believe will make the 8 but still think will win a few games and be just outside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney made the 8 (6th), after going 0 and 6 in 2017.
Yeap recall that, I think they even won the first elimination semi, and that's why I said hard to believe if cats go 0-2 they don't make the 8. Apparently top 4 much more difficult from 0-2 but not impossible especially in a tight season. Even if we lose on Friday, I am confident we beat Pies at GABBA, but a little worried about Dogs in week 4. Like you I think we over achieved slightly last year, but still believe we are around 5 to 8 with the improved list.

Too hard to tell after 1 round, but I think I recall you being bullish on Freeo a few weeks ago, responding to my post when I said I think Carlton would improve. Seems both Freeo and Carlton since then have injury issues.

Don't believe the Suns will make the 8 or even top 10 they will be competitive, but with such a young team will probably fall away in the later part of the season.
Melbourne is a bit of a mystery but would expect them to be competitive and the fringe of the 8
Pies I don't believe will make the 8 but still think will win a few games and be just outside.
Yeah, Freo been done by injuries and suspensions.

I realise that we got done comprehensively and the senior players deserve 90% of the blame, but how inexperienced were we? We had Payne, Fullerton and Sharp. How does this affect team structure and therefore organisation? These guys are 1st and 2nd year players.

I realise that we got done comprehensively and the senior players deserve 90% of the blame, but how inexperienced were we? We had Payne, Fullerton and Sharp. How does this affect team structure and therefore organisation? These guys are 1st and 2nd year players.
Swans had 3 18 year old debutants.

The thing that concerned me most was the shambolic zone "defence" that we persisted with all evening.

The Swans just picked their way through it and were able to deliver to leading targets with precision

Coupled with he fact that we applied minimal pressure on their ball carriers and it's no wonder that marks inside 50 .were a mind numbing 5 to 23 against.

Then they shot the lights out with their set shots from all angles and distances.

We also got the rough end of the pineapple from inconsistent and at times baffling umpiring calls .
Leigh Fisher hates us. Sometimes I think the AFL is taking the piss with the regularity with which they send him to the Gabba for our games.

For all of that , we got what we deserved. We lost the plot completely for half of the second quarter, most of the third and looked embarrassingly ragged when the margin got out to 50 in the last. A few late goals saved a bit of face for us but in the end the margin of 31 flattered us.

Perhaps we were complacent.

At times we turned it on then just as quickly turned it off again.

Maybe we thought we could just turn it on at will and that would see us through.

Whatever, the team needs not only two or three tweaks with personnel but an attitude adjustment and fast.

That's the most disappointed I've been in Lions performance since the dim dark Leppa years

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was so confusing. They were nowhere near the ball. 2nd to it not even close enough to put pressure on a Swan. Felt like a horrible game from 2017.

No where near as inexperienced as the Swans were. Swans had 3 debutants, and another 3 players with less than 10 games.

We even have a thread that shows how inexperienced our team is every week.

Back