Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be happy if anyone who has ever put their hand up about being wrong about a player they really didn't know much about just stops to reflect that they were wrong the next time they are about to say exactly the same thing about the next player they don't know much about.

I mean, I know it's an 'opinion' world, and we all have the 'right' to one, which are all sacred, valid, and intellectual manna from heaven*,but what I really find unfathomable is how few people also claim the 'responsibility' to be well-informed, rational, and aware of the limits of their own perspective when they do so. It's a responsibility that accompanies the right.

Personally, I hate having to admit I'm wrong, I manage to avoid this most of the time by having a complete lack of certainty and faith in my own perspective when I am aware it is very limited, and just 'wait and see' what evolves, rather than try to predict the future, and then staunchly and irrationally defend my opinion as it was actually reality.

Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon. I really need to farm for 'clicks', 'likes' and 'retweets'. Don't sit on the fence, man! Have a strong opinion! It's where it's at!!!

Self-righteous and sanctimoniously moralising and pompous tool, over and out.

*(not really manna from heaven...more like Satan's Turd Nuggets)
This forum would have about 10% of the posts it does if everybody did that!

It's par for the course that even a supporter base such as ours, who has lived the Hodge/Ball/Judd experience, still talk confidently about dud draft picks 1-2 years on (had one bloke in another thread telling me Fisher McAsey would never make it as a KPP, and another that DGB was not as good as he was cracked up to be).

Extreme case in point: St Kilda selection of Jack Billings ahead of Marcus Bontempelli is widely acknowledged as a recent draft blunder. The Bont burst out of the blocks, had a flag in his third season, is now captain, and starts as brownlow favourite coming into his seventh year. Meanwhile Billings struggled a bit in his first few years with injury and form, has been plugging away and playing quite well without winning awards or catching the eye of the AA panel. In Hodge's seventh season he shifted to the backline and finished the year with a flag and a norm smith medal, while Judd is hampered by a niggling groin injury. I'm not saying it will happen with Bont and JB, but there's no reason it couldn't. How quickly we forget that from 2003-2007, the suggestion that Hodge would have a more successful career than Judd (or even Luke Ball) would've been met with derision.

We'll never learn learn to be truly circumspect, a bit like blaming the umpires when we lose, it's part of the irrational life of a die-hard fan.

me and a few of the other draft watchers were very impressed with Day playing for SA in the National Championships and had him around pick 20 mostly because he was middle height and very slim(you also have to understand he came from nowhere, he had no history or indication from SA of being good), but in the games i saw he always had the talent he shows on a regular basis in the AFL even back then, his intercepting and smart use of the footy has always been there, i just think that what we have learned since then is he has a determination and composed personality that makes stepping up to the level easier than most.

I would be happy if anyone who has ever put their hand up about being wrong about a player they really didn't know much about just stops to reflect that they were wrong the next time they are about to say exactly the same thing about the next player they don't know much about.

I mean, I know it's an 'opinion' world, and we all have the 'right' to one, which are all sacred, valid, and intellectual manna from heaven*,but what I really find unfathomable is how few people also claim the 'responsibility' to be well-informed, rational, and aware of the limits of their own perspective when they do so. It's a responsibility that accompanies the right.
Well I'll claim that one.

In 1983 at the massively mature age of 17 I watched a bloke have a fairly ordinary game at the SCG. He wore number 28 for us against a pretty ordinary Swans team and didn't look to have what it takes.

That bloke was Chris Langford.

I learnt that my opinions are either misguided or ignorant. Take your pick.

So I learnt to look harder. Don't do knee jerk stuff. Think - really think - about what you are watching.

I need to do this next Sunday. I need to be a better analyst.

Don't let your prejudices ruin your enjoyment.

Personally, I hate having to admit I'm wrong, I manage to avoid this most of the time by having a complete lack of certainty and faith in my own perspective when I am aware it is very limited, and just 'wait and see' what evolves, rather than try to predict the future, and then staunchly and irrationally defend my opinion as it was actually reality.

Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon. I really need to farm for 'clicks', 'likes' and 'retweets'. Don't sit on the fence, man! Have a strong opinion! It's where it's at!!!

Self-righteous and sanctimoniously moralising and pompous tool, over and out.

*(not really manna from heaven...more like Satan's Turd Nuggets)
I love being wrong. Means I’ve learnt something knew.

It just a pity I’m almost always right but.

me and a few of the other draft watchers were very impressed with Day playing for SA in the National Championships and had him around pick 20 mostly because he was middle height and very slim(you also have to understand he came from nowhere, he had no history or indication from SA of being good), but in the games i saw he always had the talent he shows on a regular basis in the AFL even back then, his intercepting and smart use of the footy has always been there, i just think that what we have learned since then is he has a determination and composed personality that makes stepping up to the level easier than most.

There are certain players, and you could see this in Day's limited highlights, where you look less for the volume and more for AFL player level acts.

The way that Day moved his arms out of trouble and moved laterally was what made me confident we had a player, it's a skill and an awareness that makes blokes like Bont and Pendles very difficult to keep from disposing of the ball.

What we saw with Day in the u18 footage is exactly what has translated at AFL; reading the play, great judgement when to attack the contest, smart skills and great two sided kicking.

If you read “Day is a half back flanker”maybe you would have not been too excited, but I don’t know how anyone could watch his highlight package and not realise we had a very smart, and skillful player on our list that oozed AFL traits. Everything he touched turned to gold.

What we saw with Day in the u18 footage is exactly what has translated at AFL; reading the play, great judgement when to attack the contest, smart skills and great two sided kicking.

If you read “Day is a half back flanker”maybe you would have not been too excited, but I don’t know how anyone could watch his highlight package and not realise we had a very smart, and skillful player on our list that oozed AFL traits. Everything he touched turned to gold.
Some people read too much into who is stated in articles. If Day was compared and hyped up as the next Whitfield as an example, people would have been more excited.

Day is an exceptional talent and I cannot wait to see what he does throughout his career.

There was talk of Port Adelaide being really frustrated that they missed out on Day because we'd kept him quiet as a (first round) target and they were set to pick him.

I can see why.

Richmond also set to pounce at their first pick if he was still available. Judging on recent scouting of draft talent, couldn't imagine having 3 better clubs targeting the same kid to know he had something.

Interesting to revisit the old draft thread and the early page of this thread. Concerns around Will's ability to compete without a year or two of physical development, and against other players certain supporters felt we needed more. Thought it might be cathartic to list those blokes and what they've done vs Will Day. He's also outperforming a bunch of players taken before him, while being less physically developed and playing less high level football than them.

Will Day - averages across his career (12 games):
17 disposals, 10 kicks, 7 handballs - 5 intercepts, 3 R50s and 300 metres gained from 83% TOG
Essentially playing at a developed AFL level status at the moment, complete with unrestricted game time and a key role.

Brodie Kemp (0 games)
Cooper Stephens (0 games)
Deven Robertson (1 game):

7 disposals, 3 tackles

Cody Weightman (3 games):
6 disposals, 1 goal, 3 clangers (almost a 50% turnover rate)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to revisit the old draft thread and the early page of this thread. Concerns around Will's ability to compete without a year or two of physical development, and against other players certain supporters felt we needed more. Thought it might be cathartic to list those blokes and what they've done vs Will Day. He's also outperforming a bunch of players taken before him, while being less physically developed and playing less high level football than them.

17 disposals, 10 kicks, 7 handballs - 5 intercepts, 3 R50s and 300 metres gained from 83% TOG
Essentially playing at a developed AFL level status at the moment, complete with unrestricted game time and a key role.

Brodie Kemp (0 games)

7 disposals, 3 tackles

Its certainly looking like a great bit of drafting. I do often wonder if clubs genuinely hide players and the mechanisms behind this. Day came from the clouds (no pun intended). A bit of smoke around Brockman too.

Last edited:
It certainly looking like a great bit of drafting. I do often wonder if clubs genuinely hide players and the mechanisms behind this. Day came from the clouds (no pun intended). A bit of smoke around Brockman too.
Eagles were apparently trying to hide Brockman. Also pretty sure Geelong were trying to keep Bruhn under the radar until but his stock rose ridiculously.

It certainly looking like a great bit of drafting. I do often wonder if clubs genuinely hide players and the mechanisms behind this. Day came from the clouds (no pun intended). A bit of smoke around Brockman too.
There was an article around draft time that GWS were toying with taking Day at Pick 5.

Brodie Kemp (0 games)

7 disposals, 3 tackles

Harrison Jones (ESS) 13 disposals, 0 goals, 3 behinds, 100% losing record ;)

Its certainly looking like a great bit of drafting. I do often wonder if clubs genuinely hide players and the mechanisms behind this. Day came from the clouds (no pun intended). A bit of smoke around Brockman too.

I think they definitely do. They can't do it a much as they once did, all good teams have recruiters in every state, but they can still make suggestions to them through U18 sides with coaches that have club allegiances. Barrass being mentored and groomed for a defensive role with West Coast by Glass, Tom Stewart similarly by Scarlett.

Clubs also tend to play their little games, feign interest in one player but be courting another and so on.

Day though, I think he was just an extremely late developer - especially when you look at the point he was drafted. Still looked all of 14.

Last year I posted that he could be our Nathan Fyfe and I’m not saying he could win two brownlows, but I think he could develop a body that allows him to be a similar player in the clinches like Fyfe is.

The thing is though that we tend to never really build players up to be bulking midfielders so there’s every chance that day only ever adds another 5 to 10 kg and remains as mobile as he currently is in the Whitfield shape.

Last year I posted that he could be our Nathan Fyfe and I’m not saying he could win two brownlows, but I think he could develop a body that allows him to be a similar player in the clenches like Fyfe is.

The thing is though that we tend to never really build players up to be bulking midfielders so there’s every chance that day only ever adds another 5 to 10 kg and remains as mobile as he currently is in the Whitfield shape.

With quarters going back to full length, the man on the mark rule/interchange rule potentially leading to less stoppages maybe the Hawthorn build is going to going to be the ideal.

With quarters going back to full length, the man on the mark rule/interchange rule potentially leading to less stoppages maybe the Hawthorn build is going to going to be the ideal.
Yeah I agree. But we might have too many needing to run off the half back line with Scrim, CJ and Impey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back