Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm interested to see what the 14 tracks are, if you can be bothered.

I like their straight out rocking tracks, but the songs that have a certain groove to it are the ones for me. They also know how to write a great ballad with a touch of Americana about it.

Easily my favourite band from the last 30 years.

Soul Singing, Remedy, Thorn in my Pride, Sometimes Salvation, A conspiracy, Ballard of Urgency, Wiser Times, Good Friday, Hard to Handle, How much for your wings, Blackberry, She Talks to Angels, Descending, By your Side, Sting me, Seeing Things.

Was actually 16 songs!

Compressing an entire LP can work. MGMT used a hell of a lot of compression on Oracular Spectacular, and it worked because they were trying to contain a bunch of warped sounds and ideas that might have sounded brash if they were given too much space individually in the mix.

Californication sounds like it's been filtered through Audacity or something though.

Some of you people must be listening to a different album to me.

Californication sounded superb to me back when it was released and it still sounds superb to me now.

It's not just the lyrics and the songs of that album, it was the return of Frusciante, the spiritual leader of the band.

Some of you people must be listening to a different album to me.

Californication sounded superb to me back when it was released and it still sounds superb to me now.

It's not just the lyrics and the songs of that album, it was the return of Frusciante, the spiritual leader of the band.

Get yourself some half decent headphones and have a listen to the louder songs and hear how poor the mix/mastering is on it. Widely regarded as sounding shite.

Death Magnetic wasn't a great album but copped similar treatment, the Guitar Hero version was much better.

I was young at the time but listening to it something still sounded incredibly off... don't know if Metallica's metal albums have every sounded great but that was easily the worst. I think Load sounded great but it was more a rock album.

Also never liked what Rubin did with AC/DC which was a shame because there's some great songs on that album.

I was young at the time but listening to it something still sounded incredibly off... don't know if Metallica's metal albums have every sounded great but that was easily the worst. I think Load sounded great but it was more a rock album.

Also never liked what Rubin did with AC/DC which was a shame because there's some great songs on that album.

And Justice for All is notorious for having shitty production (or maybe it was more the mixing/mastering, i'm no expert) and the debut as well (which is expected I guess) but Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets sounded pretty great. Black was amazingly well produced (some think overproduced) and yes Load sounded good.

There's a song on Death Magnetic called Cyanide, I listened to the album version and couldn't hear the wah line on the intro, that's how crap it was. This album actually made me aware of "The Loudness Wars" actually.

And Justice for All is notorious for having shitty production (or maybe it was more the mixing/mastering, i'm no expert) and the debut as well (which is expected I guess) but Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets sounded pretty great. Black was amazingly well produced (some think overproduced) and yes Load sounded good.

There's a song on Death Magnetic called Cyanide, I listened to the album version and couldn't hear the wah line on the intro, that's how crap it was. This album actually made me aware of "The Loudness Wars" actually.

Going to bring up this old chestnut but always though Megadeth had better sound than Metallica, the original Youthinasia is one of the best sounding albums ever IMO, but unfortunately their last handfull of albums have gone loudness war style too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to bring up this old chestnut but always though Megadeth had better sound than Metallica, the original Youthinasia is one of the best sounding albums ever IMO, but unfortunately their last handfull of albums have gone loudness war style too.

In terms of guitar tone Hetfield > Mustaine but generally that's fair enough. Since Dave's carpal tunnel he's released a consistently high level catalog (other than Supercollider which was s**t), can't really say that of Metallica of recent times.

This really warmed the heart when it happened, two best metal rhythm players ever imo. Their guitar tones are quite different actually but together it really sounded like Kill Em All era Metallica. For the record Hetfield > Mustaine > Hammett

In terms of guitar tone Hetfield > Mustaine but generally that's fair enough. Since Dave's carpal tunnel he's released a consistently high level catalog (other than Supercollider which was sh*t), can't really say that of Metallica of recent times.

This really warmed the heart when it happened, two best metal rhythm players ever imo. Their guitar tones are quite different actually but together it really sounded like Kill Em All era Metallica. For the record Hetfield > Mustaine > Hammett

Mustaine would be my bet as best ability to sing and play together, some of the things he plays whilst he does vocals are unbelievable. Hetfield has him comfortably though as a performer and for stage presence.

I liked Super Collider, there's an unpopular opinion.

For me, I think Metallica have always had a quality over quantity approach compared to 'Deth recently, Hardwired is a better album than Megadeth's last half dozen, though that isn't to say their stuff has been bad or bland, just dependable 7.5/10 metal albums. Hardwired is at least an 8.

Mustaine would be my bet as best ability to sing and play together, some of the things he plays whilst he does vocals are unbelievable. Hetfield has him comfortably though as a performer and for stage presence.

I liked Super Collider, there's an unpopular opinion.

For me, I think Metallica have always had a quality over quantity approach compared to 'Deth recently, Hardwired is a better album than Megadeth's last half dozen, though that isn't to say their stuff has been bad or bland, just dependable 7.5/10 metal albums. Hardwired is at least an 8.

Agree on your first point, not sure how he plays the Tornado of Souls riff while doing vocals just before the bridge, ridiculous.

Agree to disagree ha ha

Honestly I think every one of Megadeth's albums since (and including The System has failed) has been an 8, Thirteen is a classic (even though a few old demos). Wrecker is probably the best tune they've done in the 2000s, absolute cracker.

Agree on your first point, not sure how he plays the Tornado of Souls riff while doing vocals just before the bridge, ridiculous.

Agree to disagree ha ha

Honestly I think every one of Megadeth's albums since (and including The System has failed) has been an 8, Thirteen is a classic (even though a few old demos). Wrecker is probably the best tune they've done in the 2000s, absolute cracker.

Dialectic Chaos is one of my favourite instrumentals

In terms of guitar tone Hetfield > Mustaine but generally that's fair enough. Since Dave's carpal tunnel he's released a consistently high level catalog (other than Supercollider which was sh*t), can't really say that of Metallica of recent times.

Ill pick Hetfield any day of the week.
Metallica , better and more melodically appealing songs.
Megadeth, skillful, but alot of shredding stuff that it seems are there just for the hell of it.
I love Metallica, but I also like Megadeth. Their production always pissed me off though. My favourite songs of theris, Peace Sells but whos buying is ridiculous in that the vocals are completely and totally buried.

Ill pick Hetfield any day of the week.
Metallica , better and more melodically appealing songs.
Megadeth, skillful, but alot of shredding stuff that it seems are there just for the hell of it.
I love Metallica, but I also like Megadeth. Their production always pissed me off though. My favourite songs of theris, Peace Sells but whos buying is ridiculous in that the vocals are completely and totally buried.

Yeah a lot of Megadeth is showing off but I do enjoy it. And to be clear I’m talking about Mustaine’s riffs and songwriting, his solos don’t interest me too much. Though he’s always had great lead players in his band anyway who can do great solos, he should have always left the shredding to them imo.

A Toute Le Monde might be my favourite solo as it's got the most melody and feeling, but a lot of their 90s stuff was good, less speed and shredding and more melody, rock inspired solos.

A Toute Le Monde might be my favourite solo as it's got the most melody and feeling, but a lot of their 90s stuff was good, less speed and shredding and more melody, rock inspired solos.

Yeah that was a Marty Friedman solo I believe, think he was in the band for the whole 90s or thereabouts so you're probably talking about him. He could shred as well like a mother*er, great guitar player, ended up living in Japan and playing pop music I believe.

Hardwired i thought was crap
Maybe 3 good songs
The second disc was terrible

Magnetic shat all over it, so did st anger. (Apart from the snare sound)

Yeah Hardwired should have been a single album, the first side and Spit out the Bone. Magnetic felt a bit contrived to me, Hardwired you could tell was just Lars and James doing whatever the * they wanted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back