Rumour Patrick Cripps will go home to WA if Carlton miss the finals in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

So Cripps joins West coast next season on Centrelink wages? Sounds about right.

It was a joke.

But reality is, West Coast would have to say to Crips:

" Patrick, if you want to make the best money you can, stay at Carlton.

If you want to come home to a successful club, come to West Coast, but we can't give you the kind of money Freo or Carlton can.

It's up to you."

Tom Lynch was on 1 million per year at Gold Coast. He signed a deal at Richmond apparently worth 5.5 over 6 years, but Lynch has been earning 500K in 2019, 2020 and 2021.

That's why clubs offer the long deals. They can jam the big money in the back of the deal with the expectation that the TPP goes up every year.

That's free agency.

It was a joke.

But reality is, West Coast would have to say to Crips:

" Patrick, if you want to make the best money you can, stay at Carlton.

If you want to come home to a successful club, come to West Coast, but we can't give you the kind of money Freo or Carlton can.

It's up to you."

Tom Lynch was on 1 million per year at Gold Coast. He signed a deal at Richmond apparently worth 5.5 over 6 years, but Lynch has been earning 500K in 2019, 2020 and 2021.

That's why clubs offer the long deals. They can jam the big money in the back of the deal with the expectation that the TPP goes up every year.

That's free agency.
I can See Cripps head to West coast....

Carlton Board will say: Hey you have been loyal to us. We will hand you a 5 year deal at 1 million a year and retire at the end of that 5 year deal.

West coast Board can say.... We can offer you as much as Carlton but we can offer you $800,000 a year for 6 years. Longer contract, can play finals and be closer you your family. What do you say? you keen?

People will give crap to the swans for the Buddy Franklin contract. The bloke has been worth his contract even if he reitred right now.

I agree about the long term deals as you posted.

I got no Animosity towards Brad Hill. I dont hate him for taking the cash at the saints. His Lady wanted to live back in Victoria. Everyone knew about Brad hills contract at freo. It was a $2.5 million deal over 5 years. $700,000 for years one and 2. $500,000 for year 3. Then $300,000 for years 4 and 5. Brad Hill stayed for 3 years. Saints offered Hill $900,000 a year for 5-6 years. I can understand why he would of been upset playing decent footy and getting paid only $300,000 a year when another club offers him $900,000 a year.

Walsh, Williams, McKay, Weitering and Martin.
Martin is no where near Cripps' level, and McKay needs to be more consistent to be even close to him. Williams has never played a full season as a midfielder either, so Weiters and Walsh are probably the only ones comparable to Cripps (even though Weitering plays a completely different position).

Carlton 0-2, Cripps unsigned despite a deal sitting on the table and the blues begging him to sign it.

He may have to stay at Carlton due to a lack of interest at this rate.

I doubt he was playing injured last year to the extent the paperbagger supporters were suggesting. (Most likely usual wear and tear) It would make no sense whatsoever for him to have played the last couple of games once they were out of contention if he genuinely was. It would have been Straight into surgery to ensure he would complete a full preseason unhindered.

The fact that he actually did his shoulder in the last game has provided these bellendbaggers with confirmation bias of an existing injury.

if he continues to have a mobility/speed of a mining truck in the next few games Carlton are going to be in a hell of a bind as to whether they remove the offer or reduce terms

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is too big for the fast game, get his body but most importantly his mind right and he'll be back to his best. Maybe Carlton is not the place to get his mind right anymore?

There's still room for big bodied midfielders, he just needs to stick to what he is good at and get first possession at the stoppages. No use having better outside players around him if he's just going to try to bulldoze through every time.

His body language is weird though - wonder what's going on upstairs?

There's still room for big bodied midfielders, he just needs to stick to what he is good at and get first possession at the stoppages. No use having better outside players around him if he's just going to try to bulldoze through every time.

His body language is weird though - wonder what's going on upstairs?

I think he'll be ok, just a slow start, he just needs a big game to get rolling, his 1st half last week was very good.

His game style was so taxing, and he carried them so hard, that now at 26 he looks aboslutely shot.

Doubt his body can do big mid minutes every week for 22 games, struggled last year with shorter quarters. Although he can barely lift his arm up, I'd be trying to develop as much forward craft as possible. Hes not going to make it to 30 at this rate.

I can See Cripps head to West coast....

Carlton Board will say: Hey you have been loyal to us. We will hand you a 5 year deal at 1 million a year and retire at the end of that 5 year deal.

West coast Board can say.... We can offer you as much as Carlton but we can offer you $800,000 a year for 6 years. Longer contract, can play finals and be closer you your family. What do you say? you keen?

People will give crap to the swans for the Buddy Franklin contract. The bloke has been worth his contract even if he reitred right now.

I agree about the long term deals as you posted.

I got no Animosity towards Brad Hill. I dont hate him for taking the cash at the saints. His Lady wanted to live back in Victoria. Everyone knew about Brad hills contract at freo. It was a $2.5 million deal over 5 years. $700,000 for years one and 2. $500,000 for year 3. Then $300,000 for years 4 and 5. Brad Hill stayed for 3 years. Saints offered Hill $900,000 a year for 5-6 years. I can understand why he would of been upset playing decent footy and getting paid only $300,000 a year when another club offers him $900,000 a year.
Not sure Cripps is $1 mill per season player. If carlton get sucked in to paying that money then they are going to lose a lot of players.

Carried the Carlton Football Club for the last 5 years, and has put his heart and soul into every game. I don't know if it's his body breaking down, a poor mentality, or simply him just not adjusting to the modern game. You've got to feel for this bloke that has done so much for his club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back